Customs Broker and Clearing Agent for Midwest

Hemingway's Karl

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
Hunted
South Africa
We just finished our second safari and decided that we were going to utilize Trophy Solutions in South Africa for taxidermy purposes (we utilized Conroe Taxidermy for our previous trip). Since I'm having the taxidermy finished in Africa and sent here, without using a U.S. taxidermist as a middleman, I was curious if this changes what customs port and customs agent we should use. We're based in Kansas City, but we previously utilized a customs broker in Houston because we used Conroe Taxidermy last time. I'm assuming the customs broker facilitates freight shipping once receiving the goods, so if that's the case, it may make sense to utilize a customs broker in closer proximity to my home.

I'm just trying to figure out the logistics and the proper protocol in this case (without paying out of the nose for unnecessary shipping).

I believe Chicago and Denver are the closest "ports of entry" for me in Kansas City. Has anyone worked with a customs broker from either city that they would recommend? Please and thank you!

I used D&L CHB out of Chicago last year for the animals from my 2022 safari. It was a dip and pack and not finished taxidermy but they did a great job for me. I had a baboon skull on that shipment and they handled it without issue. I have also used Coppersmiths a few times and they have also always done a good job.

I used Trophy Shippers through Chicago without issues last year. Chicago is a pay by weight instead of days (I think up to 2 weeks). That helped keep my cost down because I had a smaller crate.

contact Laura at Coppersmiths in Chicago she will take care of you and try to avoid Turkish Airlines to Chicago as they will hit you with a 348.00 per day storage till Agriculture clears the shipment so Coppersmiths can move it to their warehouse for F&W and customs to clear

I'll vote for Safari Specialty Importers.

It doesn't matter just where your trophies are cleared, the big thing is that the importer has a bonded warehouse to store them in if needed instead of being at the mercy of the airlines.

My last shipment came into NY and was cleared there. They then shipped them to Denver and then ground shipped them to my home 120 miles away.

Definitely Chicago. Turkish doesn’t fly direct to Denver and I only live two hours from Denver. Denver is also not an approved USFWS port of entry unless you get a special exemption. I’ve heard issues with Coppersmith’s so I used D&L CHB without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwbybill

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.