Custom barrel length for dangerous game bolt action rifles

Handling barrel length for big game, dangerous game bolt action rifle

• Total voters
I like the balance and handling of a longer barrel. I know long barrels are not in style, I got to like long barrels from my shotgun days, birds and sporting clays, smooth mounting and swinging and a bit less muzzle bast and felt recoil.

There are many factors to consider, but for me rifle balance and reduced muzzle flip.

1. Upgraded wood which I assume will be used.

2. The original Jefferies .404 I owned used a commercial mayser action 3 rd capacity

3 Standard bbl. contour length I do not remember, but I think it was 24 or 26. Balanced perfect not to much muzzle flip

4. Straight lock, with minimum pitch

Lon

for a custom barrel, what lengths are folks specifying? when designing barrels, i normally use Saami spec. (bolt face to muzzle)
Well, my .458 B&M has an 18" barrel. 20" for .500 MDM.

full

Had a 416 Ruger African with 23” barrel and enjoyed carrying it for many many miles in the hot Mozambique sun tracking and killing buffalo.

Currently have Lex of Rifles Inc building me a 22” 1-12 twist 416 RemMag on a Model 70 SS action with his +1 magazine, should be ready late this year. Just need to book a couple of Buff for next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaughnLove

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.