custom barrel length for big game, dangerous game bolt action rifles

Jefferry404

AH senior member
Reaction score
for a custom barrel, what lengths are folks specifying? when designing barrels, i normally use Saami spec. (bolt face to muzzle)
but i think most hunters use what i call "handling length" which is from the front of the action ring to end of the muzzle.
These would be on Model 70, CZ550 magnum and Mauser style square bridge actions.
Given the above definition, thought to see what folks are using for these cartridges or similar: 338 winmag, 375 mag, 416 mag, 458 mag. thanks
Steve
will do not magnum in a 2nd poll.
PS. this is my first poll, so might get a few syntaxes wrong
made a 2nd post with the polling. Not sure what tag means in the poll form

Last edited:
Dang, I don’t even know how to utilize the poll. I’m out. :).

Ok. I feel better now that the poll has been removed.

Last edited:
All depends on twist rate and bullet weight as some bullets will need A longer barrel to stabilise with certain twist rates and velocities.

for a custom barrel, what lengths are folks specifying? when designing barrels, i normally use Saami spec. (bolt face to muzzle)
but i think most hunters use what i call "handling length" which is from the front of the action ring to end of the muzzle.
These would be on Model 70, CZ550 magnum and Mauser style square bridge actions.
Given the above definition, thought to see what folks are using for these cartridges or similar: 338 winmag, 375 mag, 416 mag, 458 mag. thanks
Steve
will do not magnum in a 2nd poll.
PS. this is my first poll, so might get a few syntaxes wrong
made a 2nd post with the polling. Not sure what tag means in the poll form
Wow you are over my head. What I have learned is I do my best shooting a 24 inch rifle. I have tried up to a 28 inch and just not comfortable. Whether hunting everything in Africa or bird hunting in US, I need a shirt heavy gun to shoot my best

It depends on whether you are a hunter or a shooter and what game you are after

The Blaser R8 design allows the use of a 24” barrel but with an overall length that’s about 4” shorter than a traditional bolt action rifle for all other things being equal.

This moves the weight closer to middle of the rifle (between the hands) to make it easier to handle and maneuver in an instinctive fashion.

No shorter than 22” and no longer than 24” on bolt action rifles for dangerous game.
This is only my preference, not necessarily for everyone.

I like the shortest barrel I can get away with. My Ruger Alaskan.375 Ruger has a 20” barrel that is real handy crawling around in the thick stuff.
A few years ago I had Montana Rifle Company make me a .416 Rigby with a 22” barrel and it is pretty handy as well. I had a CZ Safari magnum in .416 Rigby and it had a 26” barrel I think and did not like it at all.

I have seen videos of hunters with short barrel thumper guns shooting at buffalo. Recoil and muzzle jump are horrendous. Followup shots seem to be invariably sloppy. I think it is important to balance portability with other factors. And when hunting dangerous game, followup shooting should be of some concern. I want enough gun to reduce the probability for followup shot being needed. But I also don't want to be looking up into deep space or in the grass for my gun if the first shot isn't enough. For me, portability is at the bottom of the list when I select a cartridge/rifle style. Another chap on another thread put it rather accurately: "Scout rifles were designed to fix a problem that never existed."

I’ve seen no difference in recoil from my shorter barrel rifles, it’s all in the balance and weight. The long barreled CZ kicked a hell of a lot more than the Montana .416, if I had to guess it probably weighs a pound or a pound and a half more than the CZ. The .375 Ruger kicks just a touch more than any of the .375 H&H’s I’ve shot probably because of the slight increase in muzzle velocity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MosheFalco

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex
A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?