Custom 460 weatherby

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by manageable it is especially after the past 2 years of reading more and more into the 460 and in the back of my mind I was starting to get a little worried and thinking that I may have made a mistake but that all went away after my 1st shot and then the 2nd and by the time I was 20 rounds deep all my fears went away
But you're shooting it with the brake attached, right? Do you plan to hunt with it that way? Big difference in recoil when the brake is removed.

Very nice. A CZ 550 action worked over by a good gunsmith is an excellent rifle. Please share more details of the build.

Regarding reloading, if you choose, BPI Shot Buffer is a great choice to make consistent, lower pressure loads, in the large Weatherby case, 500 grain bullets at 2150, aka. 458 Win Mag. Then work up from there to your recoil tolerance.
Doesn't the buffer get mixed up with the powder, or does it not make a difference?

Any kind of over-powder wad like a Cut-Rite wax paper, single thickness, cut with hole punch,
will keep a granular filler from mixing with the powder.
I would prefer just using 5/8"-diameter caulk backer foam rod from the hardware store.
Slice it into little cylinders with your filet knife on a cutting board.
Cram it in with a wooden pencil's eraser end.
It vanishes on firing.

Who cares if the .460 Wby shooting like a .458 WinMag kicks more because of the greater powder charge required to do it ?
That is the whole reason for the .460 WbyMag, just for kicks.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by manageable it is especially after the past 2 years of reading more and more into the 460 and in the back of my mind I was starting to get a little worried and thinking that I may have made a mistake but that all went away after my 1st shot and then the 2nd and by the time I was 20 rounds deep all my fears went away
@CO_mtnman
You are a better man than me Gunga Din. After three full power factory loads out of a MkV without a muzzle brake I was cured if ever wanting one
Bob

@CO_mtnman
You are a better man than me Gunga Din. After three full power factory loads out of a MkV without a muzzle brake I was cured if ever wanting one
Bob
I have them downloaded to 450 dakota/rigby velocities so I am sure there is a huge difference between the big rigby and a full power weatherby lol

@CO_mtnman
Bob
Always enjoy a Kipling quote. ( even if there is a slight mis-quote there)
anyway, that’s a nice rifle, I’ve never shot one, although I probably wouldn’t have a shot myself, these days my 458and 404 are about as punishing as I want to take. But at least with the big case you can download it to "soften the blow".
gumpy

I have them downloaded to 450 dakota/rigby velocities so I am sure there is a huge difference between the big rigby and a full power weatherby lol

I do that too, and the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum certainly delivers at least a muzzle velocity of around 2400 fps with a 500gr bullet, which the other cartridges caliber 458, except maybe the cartridge 450 Rigby, promise but rarely deliver. I used initially the old ammunition from Weatherby, which promised with a 500gr bullet a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps. The recoil, especially in a rifle without any recoil-reducing device, was very strong and certainly contributed to the bad reputation of the cartridge. Maybe you could have gotten used to it, a lot of big bore rifles have a strong recoil, but the precision was not excellent and in Africa, in a hot climate, there were clear signs of overpressure. I have never used this ammunition for hunting. Good factory loads are nowadays also loaded around 2500 fps at the muzzle for a 500gr bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColeLeblan

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,