Custom .458 finally done!!

Nicely done rifle. You will have many good days afield with it.

I love the figure in that curly maple stock! Stunning.

Hi AH members, enjoying this forum a lot!
One of my favorite things to do is look at all the pics of the beautiful guns you guys have.
I have become African rifle obsessed through this build. My gun was a project that my father’s friend started about 25 years ago.
He had a Douglas premium barrel put on a Interarms action and put into a curly maple stock. He ended up breaking his shoulder and couldn’t shoot magnum guns any more.
So gun sat in corner of shop for all those years. I bought gun and started shaping stock. Brought to my smith who made it into this piece of art work. It’s no Rigby but I love it !!! Hope you enjoy. As you see big Winchester guy so carried over some similarities

View attachment 541837View attachment 541838View attachment 541839View attachment 541840View attachment 541841View attachment 541842View attachment 541843View attachment 541844
Magnificent!!!

Thanks everyone, wouldn’t be what it is without the best gunsmith around. He made what it is. He put the Winchester bolt handle on it, final shaped stock and gave it that incredible finish. His engraving is second to none and put sights on it and more….. Thank you Mark P.

WOW!!!

Beautiful wood, on a beautiful rifle! Nicely done!

Nicely done …. and an unusually beautiful stock. Congrats!

That said, I‘d remove the “express” sight altogether and forget the fantasy of trying to shooting full-load 458WM ammo accurately with it. Yes, you might well pay extra $$$ to have a custom peep installed, but the accuracy gain is worth the coin.

There’s a reason the older BRNO 602 .375s and .458s with the integral “pop-up” peep sight in the rear bridge are so highly sought after as DGRs … and it ain’t for the nostalgia. ;)

A real beauty! Now take her out and put a few scratches and dings on her to get it out of the way.

Nicely done …. and an unusually beautiful stock. Congrats!

That said, I‘d remove the “express” sight altogether and forget the fantasy of trying to shooting full-load 458WM ammo accurately with it. Yes, you might well pay extra $$$ to have a custom peep installed, but the accuracy gain is worth the coin.

There’s a reason the older BRNO 602 .375s and .458s with the integral “pop-up” peep sight in the rear bridge are so highly sought after as DGRs … and it ain’t for the nostalgia. ;)
Mr. Stevens, if you care to share .. I was wondering what that beautiful bolt is in you avatar, or profile photo?
Regards, Dan.

Mr. Stevens, if you care to share .. I was wondering what that beautiful bolt is in you avatar, or profile photo?
Regards, Dan.
AHR full custom .404J. ... Wayne built it in 2012.

IMG_1010.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheronFosd

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg