Culling belts and cartridge slides

I also have some Jacques Tredoux items enroute. Both in Leather and cotton canvas

The leather culling belts are too heavy for me so I bought the Trader Keith model. I did this after seeing York Mare using one in Zim and noticing how much he liked it.

IMG_3512.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacques Tredoux double prong belt and two of his 5 round slides:

View attachment 556119

View attachment 556120

My short review:

Do they have the inner elastic loops like on the Els?

Mine have inner leather loops but I believe he also has them, or can make them for you, with elastic loops.

Last edited:
I like CAS leatherwear. There is a version of those leather loops that I like that has a division between the pairs, so that they are a little better separated. So when one goes for them, they come out spaced. And it also means if one cartridge comes out the second is well supported, but not so sticky as it would be if they were in separate loops or compartments.

Given that this is mostly race gear, it may not appeal to some as well as more conventional approaches, but I think one could have a bit of both so that one has a bit of both, without getting too confusing. So deeper and better protected, but also some quick pairs available. The CAS rigs get pretty involved, and would probably be bush velcro, but they do have some good ideas.

View attachment 556118
I am so grateful for a member in AH that sold me this elephant leather cartridge belt. Four weeks ago it worked great

Attachments

• AA3A2840-35C8-4314-8831-6A246517E01B.jpeg
    AA3A2840-35C8-4314-8831-6A246517E01B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 197

Yes, I'm fairly certain that there are elastic loops. At least it say so in the description. It's a bit hard to peek inside.. and, I was slightly wrong before. I got two of the Rhodes Open, not the Somerset.

rhodes.jpg

I have a really nice culling belt which is comfortable and easy to access cartridges, however I was crawling in to an Oryx last month with the PH and we had left my wife about 400m behind and she said the flash from the sun reflecting off the brass cartridges really stood out at a distance.

I know a lot of PHs use culling belts but I wondered if other people noticed this?

Wasn’t actually an issue and i got the Oryx but we tried unsuccessfully to stalk in to Zebra a few times and I wondered if it was the glint from my cartridges that spooked them.

While hunting mule deer in the sandhills of West Texas for 26 years, have noticed many times friends stainless barrels shining from long distances - have since gotten rid of all of my stainless - was very noticeable even at very long distances

For my 500 Nitro Express, I use a leather ammo carrier that my leather-worker made for me. I got the idea from my leather shot-shell carrier that I use in Cowboy Action Shooting that allows me to pull two shells at a time from my belt using only two fingers and thumb of my left hand and quickly rock them both into the chambers at the same time of my side-by-side 12ga. The basic design of the leather carrier and the muscle memory achieved from loading two 12ga shells at the same time readily transferred over to quickly reloading my Heym 500 Nitro Express double rifle.View attachment 555851View attachment 555852View attachment 555853

Just wondering....doesn't look very secure at all....and if you just need one bullet what keeps the other one in place?

Phillip you got enough bullets there?.....planning on starting a war.... :E Big Grin:

That’s for when he encounters a pack of charging guinea fowl

That’s for when he encounters a pack of charging guinea fowl
It’s very individual to each of us. I love my custom elephant skin cartridge belt and would never hunt without it around my waste. Just me. I have never had any issue with an animal spotting me after many hunts

Personally I love Eels, second choice Murray. I also have used a canvas culling belt usually with about 10 rds. The belt is just so damned comfortable. I also know that it saved at least my life.

I want nothing with metal studs. I think more of my rifle wood. Red Legs Murray belt, knife and sheath is perfect.

It’s very individual to each of us. I love my custom elephant skin cartridge belt and would never hunt without it around my waste. Just me. I have never had any issue with an animal spotting me after many hunts
I don't hunt around my waste - tends to frighten game. :cool: :cool: :E Angel:

I also have some Jacques Tredoux items enroute. Both in Leather and cotton canvas
Received the Tredoux culling belt order I mentioned earlier in this thread. A few observations.

It is designed so that it puts the ammunition on the left hand side. :oops: I only discovered this after purchasing one. I prefer mine on the right - probably because I am right handed? :unsure: This belt is in .275 so likely not an issue with a fast reload but why do the base product on the left? It is also very heavy and very stiff.

Never got into having rounds in the front. I hold the rifle with the left, naturally drop the right hand, reload, and presto bingo ready to go. I can not conceive of a drill where I would draw from the left - short of losing my right arm. I also like having the buckle where it is supposed to be - in front and not gouging the small of my back. Also, anything else on the belt stays where it is supposed to be. Another nice thing about a Murray belt is that it is a very pliable leather (hence very comfortable) and double stitched. That is not true of the vegetable dyed leather offerings from Els and Tredoux which are quite stiff and single stitched.

Last edited:
My belt is also from Jacques Tredoux. It was stiff when it arrived but a coating of neatsfoot oil sorted that.

I prefer having the cartridges on the left. It stops the cartridges scratching my stock and if I am using a shotgun, I always load from my left pocket, so having the cartridges on the left is instinctive to me.

I am very happy with mine, other than that the design of any such belt exposes brass to sunlight.

I expect that having cartridges on the left would be ideal for a double rifle, perhaps less so on a bolt action

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyHud

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?