Culling belts and cartridge slides

20240303_124017.jpg

The Catridge pouch for my Drilling. Solves about 99% of the work i do

Last edited by a moderator:

Who made that one?

HH

If I can't kill a buffalo with four 400 grain 404 Jeffery in the gun and five on the belt, I guess I deserve to be stomped to death. I can see no sense in carrying fifteen rounds in the field. My five round ammo wallet is made of Cape buffalo leather.
View attachment 567587
I put 9 rounds of 416REM in my buff. The client before me put 12 rounds of 470NE in one. My feelings have changed, I'm not going to the field with less than 12. It is not worth the risk, sure PH could have stepped in. He had no reason my bullets were hitting their mark. It may never happen again, that is fine. Extra insurance is only a little weight.

I put 9 rounds of 416REM in my buff. The client before me put 12 rounds of 470NE in one. My feelings have changed, I'm not going to the field with less than 12. It is not worth the risk, sure PH could have stepped in. He had no reason my bullets were hitting their mark. It may never happen again, that is fine. Extra insurance is only a little weight.
Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

I'm with you on this one. My belt carries 10 with 3+1 in the rifle.

Image1711131316.218402.jpg

I have a Galco culling belt, not leather but worked great on my last trip. It is like the half the price of a leather belt. Its a good choice if you are trying to stay on a budget.

View attachment 594836

I have a Galco culling belt, not leather but worked great on my last trip. It is like the half the price of a leather belt. Its a good choice if you are trying to stay on a budget.
Nice old buff as well. Love the worn-down horns and smooth boss.

Nice old buff as well. Love the worn-down horns and smooth boss.

Image1711138029.629503.jpg

IMG_9231.JPG
Image1711138134.706422.jpg

Thanks, my whole idea of staying on a budget went out the window because of this guy. I never thought I would get to chance to harvest a buffalo in my life but life does its own thing. I have no regrets, a Buffalo of a life time.

:ROFLMAO:Nice old buff as well. Love the worn-down horns and smooth boss.
Hello Tanner Lee,

I am +1 with BeeMaa on that buffalo you bagged.
He is old and battle worn = Just Right.
I love the facial scars and beaten down horn.
I’m no expert but my best guess is that he is past his breeding years, simply perfect for removing from the bush and searing his tenderloins over hardwood coals plus, making roasts, biltong, sausages, mince and stews from the rest.

Furthermore, your rifle is a real peach.
Some folks seem to enjoy griping about the “Hog Back” shape of that stock, IE; moaning that it doesn’t handle heavy recoil very well.
I have found exactly the opposite to be true.
Perhaps it’s because I’m a space alien or a troglodyte or whatever.
But at the end of the day, after trying that exact stock configuration on a custom built .458 South African Express 3”, I returned home and had a .458 Lott built, exactly like it.

On my .458, I had a Model 70 style “safety” lever, 23” medium-heavy barrel, Recknagel front sight, wide shallow “v” rear blade, Pachmayer Decelerator anti-recoil pad and such likes installed.
It weighs 11 pounds and with 480 gr to 500 gr bullets, loaded to about 2150 - 2200 fps, is not difficult to train with whatsoever.

Also, I too like thick canvas cartridge belts.
That said, I do admit that my favorite .375 caliber belt is leather (Murray).
Nonetheless, I have a canvas one, very very similar to yours, but with smaller loops.
It fits .30-40 Krag cartridges perfectly and my rifle for same is a Winchester-Browning Model 1895.
That rifle and belt are a great pleasure for me.
One of my friends here in The United State of Alaska has invited me to shoot a black bear, over his bait station this spring.
If I decide to go (involves a scary small plane ride, through a commonly violent wind area) , likely I will use said .30-40 lever action, with 220 gr RNSP bullet.
Anyway, blah blah blah, whatever.:ROFLMAO:

Back to your post, Great Buffalo, Great Cartridge Belt and Great Rifle.
I salute you for it.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
1711142734290.png

Thanks, my whole idea of staying on a budget went out the window because of this guy. I never thought I would get to chance to harvest a buffalo in my life but life does its own thing. I have no regrets, a Buffalo of a life time.
Definitely a righty...LOL.

Congratulations on what I consider a "properly matured" Cape buffalo.

Hello Tanner Lee,

I am +1 with BeeMaa on that buffalo you bagged.
He is old and battle worn = Just Right.
I love the facial scars and beaten down horn.
I’m no expert but my best guess is that he is past his breeding years, simply perfect for removing from the bush and searing his tenderloins over hardwood coals plus, making roasts, biltong, sausages, mince and stews from the rest.

Furthermore, your rifle is a real peach.
Some folks seem to enjoy griping about the “Hog Back” shape of that stock, IE; moaning that it doesn’t handle heavy recoil very well.
I have found exactly the opposite to be true.
Perhaps it’s because I’m a space alien or a troglodyte or whatever.
But at the end of the day, after trying that exact stock configuration on a custom built .458 South African Express 3”, I returned home and had a .458 Lott built, exactly like it.

On my .458, I had a Model 70 style “safety” lever, 23” medium-heavy barrel, Recknagel front sight, wide shallow “v” rear blade, Pachmayer Decelerator anti-recoil pad and such likes installed.
It weighs 11 pounds and with 480 gr to 500 gr bullets, loaded to about 2150 - 2200 fps, is not difficult to train with whatsoever.

Also, I too like thick canvas cartridge belts.
That said, I do admit that my favorite .375 caliber belt is leather (Murray).
Nonetheless, I have a canvas one, very very similar to yours, but with smaller loops.
It fits .30-40 Krag cartridges perfectly and my rifle for same is a Winchester-Browning Model 1895.
That rifle and belt are a great pleasure for me.
One of my friends here in The United State of Alaska has invited me to shoot a black bear, over his bait station this spring.
If I decide to go (involves a scary small plane ride, through a commonly violent wind area) , likely I will use said .30-40 lever action, with 220 gr RNSP bullet.
Anyway, blah blah blah, whatever.:ROFLMAO:

Back to your post, Great Buffalo, Great Cartridge Belt and Great Rifle.
I salute you for it.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Thanks, I didn’t know if I would like the stock but from the first moment lifting it to my shoulder it fit like a glove. As far as I am aware the gun had never been used hunting or gone to Africa. So it was a pleasure to use it for what it was made for.

IMG_0142.jpeg
I’ve never owned or wore a culling belt so I can’t answer to that?

But I do have a Westley Richards full kit I have that I think covers all bases!?!? This kit has been on five African Safaris and has now been passed to me for my first!
It has seen Buff, Lion, Leopard, Hippo, Croc, and more…

Thats the thing about our passion, our pursuit! The things acquired are of such quality, and are filled with our history, that they can be passed on for generations and hopefully the cycle is repeated!
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0140.jpeg
IMG_0141.jpeg
IMG_0138.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_0135.jpeg
IMG_0136.jpeg
IMG_0137.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QSGAli3189

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?