Cuisine Offered When Hunting In Africa - Comments, Remarks, Feedback

Best were Wildebeest Wellington and the simply cooked zebra steaks. Chef "Tootsie" also made sliced/fried Rocky Mountain Oysters at my request from by buff's balls and accompanied them with sliced/fried buffalo tongue. at my father's request for some liver, as that is never cooked at home, she made delicious impala liver with gravy for breakfast. Honestly, I've never eaten so well for so long in my life.

Leaving for another hunt Summer '18 and can hardly wait for the food!

The best meal was Cape buffalo tenderloins that had been marinating in Coke then cooked over the open fire! Eland kabobs would be a close second. Now I will add that the meat sereved at Flintbeck Lodge was excellent and raised on that farm. And when the host says come and cut the size steak you want....one can only do his best.
I have become very fond of the homemade sausages cooked on the fire.
Elephant meat has a nice flavor but frankly I couldn't chew it up enough to eat it. Perhaps the cook just didn't know what he was doing.

I do find that food in South Africa is often served just slightly warm which in my book is a sin.
I do not care for creamed corn served cold!

Everything I had in Namibia was xcellent ~Oryx and mutton was A-1..Germans are fantastic cooks (or whoever helps then)..I also found the water fantastic..

Had a blue wildebeest that was cooked like chicken fried steak. It was great. Also love eland off the grill.

Like most folks, I've never had a bad meal while in Africa.

Here's my favorites(so far):

Wild game - Zebra Fillet
Non Game - Oxtail and Karoo lamb(Wow!)

Best: Peppered Waterbuck Steak. Before I went over I was warned that waterbuck often was not any good. They could not have been more wrong. I like most others have not had a bad meal while on safari in Africa. A couple of runner ups: Ox-tailed soup made from the tail of a Cape Buffalo, almost any cut off of an Impala. Oh and any of the deserts......all were fantastic!

Worst: Didn't really have one but if I had to pick my least favorite it would be the warthog schnitzel. Not sure why might have just been a gamey one.

Recommended to try: Eland liver, Zebra

Never again: Never say never right? eland colon grilled (was told it was a delicacy) also breaded and fried leopard meat.

I have to tell a story about zebra meat. My PH swore up and down he hated zebra meat and doesn't/won't eat it. Talking to his wife she told me about the time she had some choice zebra cuts wrapped and frozen in the back of the freezer and one day she was looking for them to have for some clients who had requested them. She could not find them anywhere. Turns out she had unknowingly cooked and served them to her family and everyone enjoyed them and took no notice including her non-zebra eating PH husband!

Oh, wanted to include a picture:
P1000954.JPG

I don't think I've ever had something I'd say I wouldn't have again, except Springbok liver. Not a liver eater, though at Serapa last year some live pate was made from something else and it was pretty good.

Best: Springbok steaks along with the ash cakes that the locals made out near Tgalagadi park.

Zebra story. My younger son's first African animal was a zebra. He insisted in spite of somewhat discouraging looks to have some cooked. This was in KZN at a property that Jacques @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris was asked to come check out for hunting. The camp manager there was a good sport who took a liking to Justin and marinated some pieces in Coke for a day. He then grilled them up. I must say, they were good and we all were made to look a little silly by my then 12 year old.

As many have said I have never had a bad meal.

I’m a little surprised that I have not seen malva pudding mentioned but somehow I’ve been fortunate enough to enjoy it on multiple occasions.

The best single dish I have had was a kudu loin that was grilled with nothing but salt and pepper. It was possibly the best game meat I have ever eaten. I acknowledge that place and time can play a part in these things but this was just something they brought out unexpectedly and I wasn’t even really hungry. Blew me away.

As many have said I have never had a bad meal.

I’m a little surprised that I have not seen malva pudding mentioned but somehow I’ve been fortunate enough to enjoy it on multiple occasions.

The best single dish I have had was a kudu loin that was grilled with nothing but salt and pepper. It was possibly the best game meat I have ever eaten. I acknowledge that place and time can play a part in these things but this was just something they brought out unexpectedly and I wasn’t even really hungry. Blew me away.

IMG_0138.JPG

Well I’ve only had one chef and that has been Claudius now at PawPrints. Both Safaris I’ve been on he did the cooking and it was all very good! I especially liked the game after he beat the daylights out of it to tenderize it before marinating and cooking...mmmm...so tender!
As mentioned by several, I vastly prefer the game taken.

Wild game tenderized before cooking on the brai along with some roasted veges is my favorite meal along with a glass of blended red wine!

I still plan to take some small cats and try them.

Best-any meat from all the plains game I took. My friend who came along swore zebra was the best, but I couldn't say for certain.
Most memorable-the ZLT made from my zebra.

Worst- lion stir fry from a nuisance the farm had shot months prior. Has a very off flavor to me.
I 'm not a liver fan, though I was convinced to try wildebeest liver. Not horrible, but I'll pass next offering. There's plenty of steaks on one, thanks.

I don't think I've ever had something I'd say I wouldn't have again, except Springbok liver. Not a liver eater, though at Serapa last year some live pate was made from something else and it was pretty good.

Best: Springbok steaks along with the ash cakes that the locals made out near Tgalagadi park.

Zebra story. My younger son's first African animal was a zebra. He insisted in spite of somewhat discouraging looks to have some cooked. This was in KZN at a property that Jacques @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris was asked to come check out for hunting. The camp manager there was a good sport who took a liking to Justin and marinated some pieces in Coke for a day. He then grilled them up. I must say, they were good and we all were made to look a little silly by my then 12 year old.

On my first trip my second animal was a Zebra, my PH’s boyfriend at the time said we don’t eat that stuff. Last night we had a Brai and I insisted that I try the Zebra, so they did it. Next year when my Wife and youngest son came with me, the first meal was Zebra. Up until I insisted they had never tried it and thought it was unfit to eat.

On our one safari the highlights were kudu lasagna, wildebeest sausage, sable burgers, Impala liver, and grilled aged loins of kudu, and wildebeest.

The lowlights were one night of fish and another of chicken though both were quite well prepared and tasty. They just don't compare to game. My wife shot a not too old zebra stallion and my son took a younger warthog boar early in the hunt but neither made their way to the supper table. I found out later our host doesn't care for either. I'd of enjoyed the opportunity to try them and will make it a point to request they be served if possible next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audammmmmmmm

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia