Crimp for 375 H&H

I crimp for 300 win mag up, and do not crimp any of the lessor recoiling rounds. My Redding bushing dies provide plenty of neck tension, but I crimp the bigger recoiling rounds for piece of mind (I have seen loads from a very experienced loader set back on 338 mag during a bear hunt).

Only use the Lee FCD to do the crimping on bottlenose loads. I have tried the rest and they are crappy and inconsistent. Use a light crimp, where the crimp is barely visible, and you are set. Be mindful that a crimp usually increases pressure and MV, so start with milder loads when working with a crimp. I also wipe the edge of the case where it meets the bullet to remove any small shavings that may be present from seating the bullet; this will provide a very consistent surface for the crimp die to work on.

Living in California, I have been loading and using Barnes bullets for many years (because of the lead ban). There are several tricks to getting them to shoot perfectly, and I have grown to prefer them over any lead bullets.

Ironically, to achieve the proper bullet jump, all of my TSX/TTSX/LRX loads seem to be seated just bellow the first groove from the top. You ABSOLUTELY can crimp anywhere you want on a Barnes copper bullet, they state this in all of their literature. The grooves on the Barnes bullets are NOT cannelures, and in fact are almost too large to be utilized as one unless you crimp very aggressively (which will cause other problems). The grooves on the Barnes are so large because they are actually designed as "friction reducers" rather than cannelures, in order to make these long bullets function better and foul barrels less.

Just set your OAL to ogive where your rifle like it, them experiment with a light FCD crimp. Don't worry about where the grooves end up.
 
I have noticed what looks like Carbon/powder Residue/soot whatever you want to call it on some of my cases and wonder if I'm losing some energy and wonder if a light crimp may cure that regardless if it has a cannelure or not
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,216
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top