Reaction score
Website
onlygunsandmoney.com
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa
On my recent trip to the Eastern Cape I took two credit cards with me. One was from Wells Fargo which is my regular bank. It was the WF Signature Rewards card. It was quite surprised when I saw my statement because it had a 3% fee for "foreign currency conversion." What made this even more surprising is that I have what they call Premier Banking which waives fees for foreign wire transfers and cash withdrawals using an ATM card overseas.

I have had this card for years and it isn't offered anymore. WF never bothered to mention that I could upgrade the card to one that had no fees for foreign currency transactions.

They now offer the WF Autograph and the WF Autograph Journey cards which do not have these fees. The plain autograph doesn't generate points as quickly as the Autograph Journey but it also doesn't have a $95 annual fee. I was able to transfer my older card to the newer Autograph card today keeping my same card number and same credit limit for no charge.

This is a bit of a head's up if you bank with Wells Fargo - or any bank for that matter - to check about these fees before you leave. They want to keep you as a customer so probably will have options without those fees.

All my credit cards have no foreign transaction fees. I would not use any card that did.

The banks make plenty of money on the bid/ask transaction. I try to keep as much of mine as possible.

Thanks for the heads up for those who use Wells Fargo.

All my credit cards have no foreign transaction fees. I would not use any card that did.

The banks make plenty of money on the bid/ask transaction. I try to keep as much of mine as possible.

Thanks for the heads up for those who use Wells Fargo.

Yep. Same.

I don’t travel nearly as much as I used to… but it’s still often enough that I purposely bank with and use credit cards from firms that do no charge foreign transaction fees…

It is one of those things I never considered when I chose which cards to take with me on my hunt. I only considered which cards had the highest limit in case of an emergency. This was the first time I had run into this issue as in the past any charges in a foreign currency were just converted to dollars by the card company.

Bank consolidation plays a part as well. Wells Fargo is relatively new in North Carolina. I had started with First Union (affectionately known as 1st Onion) which merged with Wachovia which then got bought out by Wells during the mortgage crisis of 2008-09. Things change with each new merger and buyout.

Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) has no CC fees, but there are some minor ATM foreign transaction fees if not done at a NFCU branch.

I'm guessing there aren't many NFCU branches in Africa.

I have a Cabelas card for overseas travel exclusively, the remainder of my credit cards stay home. Trying to minimize exposure of my credit to overseas bad actors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenlamar

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text (503) 724-8373. Email bhr324@gmail.com
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?