COVID-19 Coronavirus UPDATES, BANS, CLOSURES, ADVISORY, etc.

93409486_10157268167615914_1980617940847820800_o.jpeg

The epidemiological characteristics of coronavirus do not match the response. .9% of the healthy people that get CV have died. About 3% of unhealthy people that get it have died. We accept that a half million flu deaths will occur yearly to the same vulnerable populations with underlying conditions. Are you less dead if the flu kills you? Why aren't we concentrating on those people with underlying conditions and limiting interactions with them? Instead, we are shutting down everything and everyone. Our free market economy is a risk. Recessions, depressions and unemployment cause deaths as well.

Well, we are FINALLY hearing some politicians talk about targeting and protecting the truly vulnerable and letting the rest of us get back to work as I mentioned weeks ago. My question to them: How many jobs and businesses have you destroyed with your shotgun (mostly political) approach??

Not sure where “half a million” (500,000) “flu deaths will occur yearly” comes from. CDC web site under Burden of Influenza has data for last to years showing a range of 12,000 deaths in the 2011-2012 flu season to 61,000 in the 2017-2018 season. Flu season runs fro Oct to May, 8 months. The current count on the JHU Coronavirus site shows 33,284 deaths since about mid Feb. These deaths have occurred in one quarter the time as an annual flu season while under severe mitigation efforts not applied to our annual experience with influenza. Absent the mitigation effort it would be much worse and would get much worse from where we find ourselves today with the planning and intent to Start the journey back to a new normal.

Well, we are FINALLY hearing some politicians talk about targeting and protecting the truly vulnerable and letting the rest of us get back to work as I mentioned weeks ago. My question to them: How many jobs and businesses have you destroyed with your shotgun (mostly political) approach??
Big bailout for airlines and cruise ships. I think some will go bankrupt anyway. It was a terrible bill that should of been vetoed. For two years I've been getting checks from Trump.

Big bailout for airlines and cruise ships. I think some will go bankrupt anyway. It was a terrible bill that should of been vetoed. For two years I've been getting checks from Trump.
I could not disagree with you more with respect to the airlines. They are a national asset. No corporation, however well run, can sustain a period of time when its very business case evaporates. I promise you Germany, the UK, France, etc will do whatever is necessary to preserve Lufthansa, BA, Air France, all the national carriers. Other developed countries outside Europe will do the same. We would cede every one of our routes to international competition. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the American flag airlines are an extremely important national defense asset. The US military can not sustain itself overseas in a significant conflict without vast support from the Civil Reserve Air Fleet (CRAFT). Designated numbers of long haul aircraft of every major US airline have that as a strategic mission. Every major overseas war plan assumes the availability of those sorties. It would be catastrophic if that capability was in any way jeopardized.

I also have a number of friends who run small businesses here and other parts of the country. The bill will keep them afloat and their employees paid for at least 90 days. If anything keeps us out of a depression it will be those "forgiven" loans. I can not imagine how anyone thinks that is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Red Leg, you certainly sound like voice of reason!(y)

I understand the necessity of helping the Airline's, however, if they are going to receive taxpayer money, the CEO'S, and top people, need to forego receiving big bonuses and expensive perks. If we have to tighten our belts in this difficult time, so should the bigwigs.

EV0HNWuXgAAbcGF

Attachments

• EV0HNWuXgAAbcGF.jpg
    EV0HNWuXgAAbcGF.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 87
I could not disagree with you more with respect to the airlines. They are a national asset. No corporation, however well run, can sustain a period of time when its very business case evaporates. I promise you Germany, the UK, France, etc will do whatever is necessary to preserve Lufthansa, BA, Air France, all the national carriers. Other developed countries outside Europe will do the same. We would cede every one of our routes to international competition. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the American flag airlines are an extremely important national defense asset. The US military can not sustain itself overseas in a significant conflict without vast support from the Civil Reserve Air Fleet (CRAFT). Designated numbers of long haul aircraft of every major US airline have that as a strategic mission. Every major overseas war plan assumes the availability of those sorties. It would be catastrophic if that capability was in any way jeopardized.

I also have a number of friends who run small businesses here and other parts of the country. The bill will keep them afloat and their employees paid for at least 90 days. If anything keeps us out of a depression it will be those "forgiven" loans. I can not imagine how anyone thinks that is a bad idea.
I don't think the airlines would disappear if they had to file bankruptcy. Somebody would be there to bail them out or snatch them up that happened to some big banks in the financial crisis.They're going to be hurting for a long time some will maybe have to consolidate. I have no problem with the small business loan. I do wonder the sanity of sending my wife and I 2400 dollars. We are retired from the government our check in the bank on the first. If anything were better off with all the cheap gas. Get to go in the grocery store first. Than not to say all the other pork that's was put in. Anita son in law got the small business loan but he said his employees would make more with the big unemployment check they could draw.

You can thank the House and Schumer for that little extra.

You can thank the House and Schumer for that little extra.
You were right it would have been better to pay the people who were high risk to stay at home if they were working. People retired like me if I'm worried about it stay home. The rest could of keep working. Nursing homes would be a problem but they are anyway. I think that some of the people overwhelming the hospitals in New York weren't the most outstanding citizens.

Bloomberg is reporting that SA Airlines is offering severance to all employees and shutting down for good. Once this coronavirus is behind us, it will be interesting to see how one gets to South Africa and around that country in the future.

Bloomberg is reporting that SA Airlines is offering severance to all employees and shutting down for good. Once this coronavirus is behind us, it will be interesting to see how one gets to South Africa and around that country in the future.

Read the government refused them another loan the other day.....so.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345

Latest profile posts

Ready for the next hunt
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg