Cost Breakdown - Niassa Special Reserve, Mozambique to Monarch Taxidermy, Montana

I believe everyone outside the outfitters woke up and realize how much money they could make on our expense. It's getting ridiculously expensive to bring trophies home. I'm thinking of following what I believe @Red Leg does, take good pictures and call it a day.

At some point, cubic space, financial resources, or actuary tables catch up with all of us.

With respect to the first two, we can quit hunting or we need to do something different to memorialize those adventures. I'll come to the latter in a minute. One of the rationalizations that has worked for me, is to think of my trophy space as a reflection of my passion - not its sum total.

I now know three or four people who went to Africa, had life changing experiences, and yet will never return because they have no more room for trophies. That strikes me as a definition of insanity or perhaps self-inflicted injury.

For instance, I have taken probably a dozen oryx over the years. I enjoy hunting them. I have one shoulder mount and one Euro of that dozen. I did not enjoy any less the hunting of the ten whose horns did not end up in the storage room somewhere. The two that are mounted are a perfect segue to any discussion with guests on hunting Oryx or a safari in Namibia without having all 12 in formation on a wall.

I do religiously build photo journals of my hunts and international adventures my spouse and I so much enjoy. Some have become the basis for articles in publications such as "African Hunting Gazette." All of them are fun ways to return to a hot afternoon in Mozambique or a freezing morning in Namibia - in many ways they are far more fulfilling than staring at a mounted trophy.
Safari Coffee Table Journals

Photo Journals

Which also brings us to those actuary tables. None of us are getting out of this alive. No matter how much a grandchild may listen with rapt attention to our tales of high adventure pursuing a buffalo in the Caprivi, it is very unlikely they will want to decorate an apartment with him. If they become hunters as well, they likely will be trying to figure out what to do with their own acquisitions.

Disposing of them is also an issue. The trophies themselves have very little monetary value. Our heirs will get pennies on the dollar on that investment.

Photos and journals, on the other hand, are something that might very well interest an heir twenty years after we are in the grave. I know I would love to have something like that about my grandfather.

I did my first African hunt in 2000, and I think the total cost of getting the capes and horns of my 9 animals was less than $1K.

I've done 5 more African hunts since then and the costs of getting my trophies home has just exploded to the point that I don't I'll go back. There's a big world that doesn't gouge hunters like Africa is doing.

On a side note to the OP, I've had Monarch Taxidermy do two of my trophies and they do excellent work!

I did my first African hunt in 2000, and I think the total cost of getting the capes and horns of my 9 animals was less than $1K.

I've done 5 more African hunts since then and the costs of getting my trophies home has just exploded to the point that I don't I'll go back. There's a big world that doesn't gouge hunters like Africa is doing.

On a side note to the OP, I've had Monarch Taxidermy do two of my trophies and they do excellent work!
I did my first safari in 2002 to Namibia. The costs now for a plains game hunt are about 25% higher. I did my first sheep hunt in Yukon in 2005. The cost now is triple. Shipping has gotten a lot higher but Africa is still a very good deal.

Was the dip and pack higher than the standard South African price list because it originated in Mozambique? It seems extremely high. The shipping and clearing costs were very similar to my shipment from Zimbabwe last year. I’ve been a little hesitant to book Mozambique because of added costs I’ve seen to get trophies out.
@Bivy was it the taxidermy’s standard dip and pack price list or higher cost because the trophies originated in Mozambique?

I did my first safari in 2002 to Namibia. The costs now for a plains game hunt are about 25% higher. I did my first sheep hunt in Yukon in 2005. The cost now is triple. Shipping has gotten a lot higher but Africa is still a very good deal.
I did my Dall sheep hunt in the Mackenzie Mts of Canada's Northwest Territories in 2000. I think the total cost of that hunt (Dall ram, Mtn Caribou, and a Wolverine) was under $11K.

A year later, an Outfitter friend of mine phoned me about a Stone sheep cancellation hunt for $11K. Unfortunately I was in the middle of a very nasty divorce and couldn't do it. Two years ago I talked to another Stone sheep Outfitter and his hunts were $55K.

I agree 100% that many Africa hunts are a very good deal. I've seen combination Buffalo and Sable hunts for less than some American elk hunts. What I don't like and don't agree with is the very high cost gouging associated with getting horns and capes back from Africa to our taxidermists here in the US.

I am getting very close to just taking photos and leaving it at that. Those prices are just insane.

I think I am in the same boat. Just finished paying close to the same as above for my last two safaris. If anything I will be doing euro mounts only.

A break down of my PG hunt in RSA exactly one year ago. Crate will arrive at my Taxidermist in MN today. Providing as it appears people are looking for the information. This was my first safari.

9 animals take with Latagen Safaris (excellent operation)

2487.00 at Taxidermy Africa for 4 eroupen, 1 Zulu shield with 2 skulls, dip n prep for 3 pedestal/should mounts plus a few oddball items.

2315.00 Shipping with SBS Logistics 107kg (137×100×93) Delta Air ( ??)

1001.94 Coppersmith broker in Chicago for clearing the crate (93 for inspection of giraffe pillow case... stupidity)

400.00 USA shipping from Chicago to Central MN

Total 6170.94..... plus I need to add in about 4k for what Trails End will need to mount the Sable, Heartbeest, Black Wildebeest.

I'm doing some serious soul searching on the next safari and what if any to bring back. Seam 'wrong' to leave trophies over there but that coat is too high for this blue collar worker.
Completely agree! It is hard to swallow seeing these numbers. Thanks for sharing the breakdown.

Hi All,

Sorry to drop the ball on replying to your questions, but life is chaotic.

1) Did the taxidermist (Life Form) charge more for the dip and pack of Mozambique animals?
That depends on how you look at it. There is an additional expense associated with freight from Mozambique to RSA and veterinary/import/export documents. Most of that was covered in the down payment (~$900.00). Otherwise, I believe the D&P expense per animal product (I.e. skull, cape, flat skin) was the same as you’d pay for RSA animals.

A side note here- Life-form had the best communication through the entire process of any of the 5 African taxidermists I’ve dealt with.

2) Did you post a hunt report?
No…I’m either lazy or busy (you decide).

I didn’t want to half-ass a report and time got away from me three safaris later.

Here is a link to a YouTube video from a 2018 hunt with Cabassa Safaris in the Marangira block just south of the Niassa Reserve.

The 2021 hunt was in Block R3 (Jamie Wilson’s old block). It was the first year hunting the block and still rather exploratory. There’s certainly pros and cons with that sort of hunt framework, and we learned a lot on the hunt.

Pros-
1) High probability of encountering older age-class animals.
2) Excitement of exploring parts of the concession unknown to the PH
3) Incredible camp located on the Rovuma River.

Cons-
1) Base camp wasn’t centrally located (northern boundary), and animal concentrations had shifted to southern half of the concession (2.5 hour drive one way).
2) Logistical issues with water supply, fuel availability, and staff training
3) Quota was subleased from another operator. I will be very cautious of future hunts where this is the case.

3) How about pictures of the bushbuck and sable?

Okay…here you go you thirsty animals!

PS I’m sitting in Al Mourjan Lounge in Doha heading for leopard if anyone is around!

1feab038-a41b-4595-b90d-12720b79290b-jpeg.549577

Attachments

• 1feab038-a41b-4595-b90d-12720b79290b.jpeg
    1feab038-a41b-4595-b90d-12720b79290b.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 258
Why there was a storage fees charged by Turkish Airlines?
Why not Coppersmith covers the storage fees?

A break down of my PG hunt in RSA exactly one year ago. Crate will arrive at my Taxidermist in MN today. Providing as it appears people are looking for the information. This was my first safari.

9 animals take with Latagen Safaris (excellent operation)

2487.00 at Taxidermy Africa for 4 eroupen, 1 Zulu shield with 2 skulls, dip n prep for 3 pedestal/should mounts plus a few oddball items.

2315.00 Shipping with SBS Logistics 107kg (137×100×93) Delta Air ( ??)

1001.94 Coppersmith broker in Chicago for clearing the crate (93 for inspection of giraffe pillow case... stupidity)

400.00 USA shipping from Chicago to Central MN

Total 6170.94..... plus I need to add in about 4k for what Trails End will need to mount the Sable, Heartbeest, Black Wildebeest.

I'm doing some serious soul searching on the next safari and what if any to bring back. Seam 'wrong' to leave trophies over there but that coat is too high for this blue collar worker.
I sent you a pm.

Kind regards!

Because Turkish Airlines can get away with it. I had the same issue w them, but my bill was $1200 in storage fees. :mad: :mad:

First step to save money is to have the taxidermy work done in Africa and negotiate with the local taxidermist and not readily accept the prices passed to you by the outfitter. I'm not going to post it here but you would be blown away if you see the local prices for taxidermy in SA. How about 1/3 of what we pay here for the same or better quality!

I appreciate and understand the sentiments of the contributors to this thread. The good old days were. The sad part is the economics will work but at the expense of the long term viability of the whole sport hunting/conservation system. The political powers of the world respond to numbers. A relatively few will continue to drop increasingly larger and larger money on hunting but without the grassroots numbers of political power and support the system as we have known, may be lost for good to the pseudo conservation eco tourism or downright corrupt foreign resource extraction.

I’m very close to throwing in the towel on big game hunting, especially in Africa. The good old days were. I went to Alaska in the mid 70s for sheep, my first “exotic” big game trip outside the familiarity of my home state. $600 round trip air Anchorage & Gakona. Guide with Super cub into middle of the Wrangells for backpack sheep then a couple days fishing for big lake trout then fishing some silvers in the Little Susitna with a friend. Total cost including the skull and cape back as regular checked baggage :) $3200. Right now maybe $30-40,000 for anything comparable. And that’s not even considering some areas of the Wrangells have only a fraction of the sheep pop they had in the 70s. :(

My first trip to Africa was remote free range in Zambia and it was affordable. 6 trips later and the acceleration of costs became apparent and unaffordable for me.

My last trip to Africa was Zimbabwe. I used the PH’s rifles, a shotgun and some fishing equip for the cost of the ammo to avoid that hassle and only shot cull and meat so no trophy fees, no shipping, no customs, no taxidermy and no hassle ! Was a great and affordable trip. This year, in a couple of weeks, will be my 24th trip to Alaska for a 10 day affordable , DIY coho expedition. :)

Because Turkish Airlines can get away with it. I had the same issue w them, but my bill was $1200 in storage fees. :mad: :mad:
This is nothing to do with Turkish airlines but the lack of attention by the freight forwarding company.

First step to save money is to have the taxidermy work done in Africa and negotiate with the local taxidermist and not readily accept the prices passed to you by the outfitter. I'm not going to post it here but you would be blown away if you see the local prices for taxidermy in SA. How about 1/3 of what we pay here for the same or better quality!
It was amazing at how the SA taxidermist would negotiate. On just about all of my animals in 2018 the taxidermists would give me a quote and then say he could do better than that and come down maybe 10 to 20%. The work was outstanding and all of the poses were what I had asked for, not something that I’m used to as far as poses go even after showing pictures and examples of what I wanted.

This is nothing to do with Turkish airlines but the lack of attention by the freight forwarding company.

But it does. $120 a day for a small crate is criminal. I was in the freight forwarding business, and warehouse storage fees were never this steep. Turkish airlines has figure out that we only have a few carriers that will carry trophies, and they (TA) can basically charge what they want since we are at their mercy. Shipping trophies is becoming cost prohibited.

Like I said earlier, I will prob leave the capes and skulls behind and only take pictures and make little albums books of the trips.

But it does. $120 a day for a small crate is criminal. I was in the freight forwarding business, and warehouse storage fees were never this steep. Turkish airlines has figure out that we only have a few carriers that will carry trophies, and they (TA) can basically charge what they want since we are at their mercy. Shipping trophies is becoming cost prohibited.

Like I said earlier, I will prob leave the capes and skulls behind and only take pictures and make little albums books of the trips.
Their fees were probably stated at the contract. Custom clearing agency should have acted quicker. I was a firearms importer and dealt with this a lot. Also you're talking about a bonded customs warehouse not a regular storage.

It was amazing at how the SA taxidermist would negotiate. On just about all of my animals in 2018 the taxidermists would give me a quote and then say he could do better than that and come down maybe 10 to 20%. The work was outstanding and all of the poses were what I had asked for, not something that I’m used to as far as poses go even after showing pictures and examples of what I wanted.
Problem is most people are on a very tight schedule and trust their outfitter to handle everything and don't have time to see anything else including the country they're in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaBorth

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]