Correct head stamp on brass

This guy might be able to help many of you out. Small scale case maker, custom marking possible (when I discussed with him minimum batch for custom brass with custom marking was 1000pcs).
I hav handled and used 9,3x74r brass from him, in my opinion just as good as any other.

On my (very long and always evolving) list of projects I want to do is to build a rifle in 38Whelen.(A 375-06 with some improved form), I believe I can alter the marking of 35Whelen cases with the help of a smart friend with a mini CNC-milling machine. 5 becoming 8).

Can a small batch of cases be remarked? Fill original marking with some "chemical metal" and remark in a mill?
In your case, it would probably be easiest to have a engraver make the 5 into a 8

When entering Australia the custom officer counted checked head stamp while counting every round
Like "GuttormG" I've mentioned before there should be away to fill in an old stamp then laser engrave a new

I took an R8 in .458 Lott and a Krieghoff Big 5 in .470NE to Zimbabwe for a Cape Buffalo hunt. I shot my Buff once with the 470 at just under 40 yards and he tipped over and died after a short run of less than 20 yards. I gifted my PH and another in camp a few .470 cartridges and 10 .458 Lott cartridges. On leaving Zimbabwe, I was taken into a room with an enormous customs agent (6-4 and 300 pounds) with his 4 assistants. My rifles were uncased and examined. Ammo was unboxed and spread out on a table and head stamps checked and the cartridges counted and recounted. The mood became serious!!I was asked about what I had hunted (Cape Buffalo and a few baboons). I was asked how many I had killed. (1 Buff, 2 baboons). Frowns all around. (After a few nervous minutes, I stated that I was not a very good shot.) The big guy started laughing and, after a few seconds, all the assistants started laughing, though they were not sure what they were laughing about. The big guy put his arm around me and said “Finally, an honest man, and, still laughing, left the room with his entourage saying “We are done here, enjoy your trip.”

Never an issue in 6 trips, with about 1 out of 5 guns having properly headstamped brass for the aforementioned reasons. They are interested in counting rounds. I was concerned about it on safari 1, so I carried a letter from the gunsmith that explained gun stamped X used brass stamped Y to make its wildcat cartridges, but that's never left the file folder in 20 yrs. Non-issue.

I have had the head stamps checked the 2 times I flew into Kasane in Botswana. The second time I had a wildcat. A 338Rum necked up to 358. I used a metal stamp and stamped a 5 over the middle 3. Laser engraving would be better I feel. The Custom's officer could not read one case clearly an just checked a couple of others, no problem that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AgnesKobay

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.