Considering changing itineraries

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I'm officially booked. Decided to go with American Airlines Chicago to Heathrow, then British Airways from Heathrow to JNB. Couldn't pass on the price. Sorry guys, I understand Gracie and Travel Express works for you, but I'm giving this a go on my own. Maybe I learn from my mistake, but hopefully not!
Have fun!
Give us the full report when you get back :D Beers:

I'm officially booked. Decided to go with American Airlines Chicago to Heathrow, then British Airways from Heathrow to JNB. Couldn't pass on the price. Sorry guys, I understand Gracie and Travel Express works for you, but I'm giving this a go on my own. Maybe I learn from my mistake, but hopefully not!
So are you taking your own rifle or not?

The big thing that a travel agent has going for you is that if there is a problem while you are out hunting or in transit you'll have someone on your side to take care of it instead of staring at your phone wondering what you are going to do.

This happened to me on my first safari on the trip back. My original flight out of Dulles to Denver was taking off just as we cleared customs. Jennifer with Travel Express caught the problem a few weeks before we departed and gave us some different options. Granted we were not stuck in South Africa but we would of been stuck in a airport trying to rebook.

Good luck on your hunt.

So are you taking your own rifle or not?
No. I can rent one for $35 per day and that includes all the ammo.

It was going to cost me $1600-2000 per person to fly on United or Delta direct from the U.S.

I really wanted to use my own rifle, but just not worth the added expense and headache. Maybe on the next trip.

Well you may have made two mistakes. (1) it looks like you avoided one by not taking your gun and that is an AA to BA transfer at Heathrow. That can be a problem. (2) AA arrives and departs at T3 at Heathrow and BA to JNB departs and arrives T5. A 1 1/2 hour layover is a legal layover, and I’ve made that that with zero minutes to spare. Hopefully you have at least a two hour layover. Even more helpful would be that AA flight is actually on BA metal. Have a great trip.

Have a great hunt!

Well you may have made two mistakes. (1) it looks like you avoided one by not taking your gun and that is an AA to BA transfer at Heathrow. That can be a problem. (2) AA arrives and departs at T3 at Heathrow and BA to JNB departs and arrives T5. A 1 1/2 hour layover is a legal layover, and I’ve made that that with zero minutes to spare. Hopefully you have at least a two hour layover. Even more helpful would be that AA flight is actually on BA metal. Have a great trip.
Great info. 7 hour layover on the way there and 2.5 hour coming home. I think I dodged both bullets.

No. I can rent one for $35 per day and that includes all the ammo.

It was going to cost me $1600-2000 per person to fly on United or Delta direct from the U.S.

I really wanted to use my own rifle, but just not worth the added expense and headache. Maybe on the next trip.
What did your ticket end up costing?

Just curious what kind of savings can be had going thru UK since I have always ATL-JNB

Thanks

Great info. 7 hour layover on the way there and 2.5 hour coming home. I think I dodged both bullets.
It’s always great to have too much time on layovers for international flights, especially when changing airlines

Have a great hunt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLKKendra

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with