Cogswell & Harrison rifle question.

Maaax

Reaction score
Hello. I just picked up a Cogswell & Harrison rifle in 300 H&H. 68xxx. I have read the posts featuring the 404 and 375's. My rifle seems to be one of the "specials" built thru 1953, according to the posted literature. My question is about the bottom metal and release. Pictures of this series of rifles seem to have a release located in the trigger guard. Also, I read about the use of aluminum in the magazine and how it can become deformed by hard bullets. My rifle has a steel magazine well. It also uses a lever to open the floor plate, not the trigger guard button. Does anyone know anything about these rifles that might help me figure out what model that I have? Or might the lever release just have been an option? Thanks for your help. Gary

Hello. I just picked up a Cogswell & Harrison rifle in 300 H&H. 68xxx. I have read the posts featuring the 404 and 375's. My rifle seems to be one of the "specials" built thru 1953, according to the posted literature. My question is about the bottom metal and release. Pictures of this series of rifles seem to have a release located in the trigger guard. Also, I read about the use of aluminum in the magazine and how it can become deformed by hard bullets. My rifle has a steel magazine well. It also uses a lever to open the floor plate, not the trigger guard button. Does anyone know anything about these rifles that might help me figure out what model that I have? Or might the lever release just have been an option? Thanks for your help. Gary

Hello Gary.

Cogswell made a variety of these rifles, most commonly in 300HH and 318WR. They are unrelated to the 1951-1953 "big run" of 375HH and 404J rifles on Mauser and P14 actions respectively.

The bigger guns frequently (but not always) had an aluminum magazine cover and the release integrated into the trigger guard. I believe these were made by Parker Hale for them at the time. Not all of them had these, but its not relevant to your small bore rifle. I've never seen one that had a functional problem and I've owned and handled many. Glorious rifles for the money that have taken countless game animals by clients and rangers across Africa.

Back to your smallbore: It was most common for your rifle type to have steel bottom metal, either with a military style bottom metal box, or the fancier but slightly less practical lever style. Yours sounds correct.

As to what model you have and when it was made, I'd need to see pictures and serial numbers to make an educated guess or confirm in my ledgers. They made these rifles en masse and also bespoke in a variety of configurations from the 1920s until the late 1950s. They are back producing more of them in recent years with a bit of a tactical and plastic look.

I wouldn't get hung up on "what model is this" because there are so many variations. The better question to ask is "what quality is this" which we can judge by the sight arrangement, fit and finish, wood quality, checkering, and other aspects of the rifle.

Hello Gary.

Cogswell made a variety of these rifles, most commonly in 300HH and 318WR. They are unrelated to the 1951-1953 "big run" of 375HH and 404J rifles on Mauser and P14 actions respectively.

The bigger guns frequently (but not always) had an aluminum magazine cover and the release integrated into the trigger guard. I believe these were made by Parker Hale for them at the time. Not all of them had these, but its not relevant to your small bore rifle. I've never seen one that had a functional problem and I've owned and handled many. Glorious rifles for the money that have taken countless game animals by clients and rangers across Africa.

Back to your smallbore: It was most common for your rifle type to have steel bottom metal, either with a military style bottom metal box, or the fancier but slightly less practical lever style. Yours sounds correct.

As to what model you have and when it was made, I'd need to see pictures and serial numbers to make an educated guess or confirm in my ledgers. They made these rifles en masse and also bespoke in a variety of configurations from the 1920s until the late 1950s. They are back producing more of them in recent years with a bit of a tactical and plastic look.

I wouldn't get hung up on "what model is this" because there are so many variations. The better question to ask is "what quality is this" which we can judge by the sight arrangement, fit and finish, wood quality, checkering, and other aspects of the rifle.
Rookhawk
Thank you for your response. Serial number 68545. I don't know how to post pictures but can send you a few privately, if you wouldn't mind. Nice quality, but probably more of a working man's rifle. Some checkering patterns don't quite line up. Beautiful to me. 7lb 5oz.
Gary

Rookhawk
Thank you for your response. Serial number 68545. I don't know how to post pictures but can send you a few privately, if you wouldn't mind. Nice quality, but probably more of a working man's rifle. Some checkering patterns don't quite line up. Beautiful to me. 7lb 5oz.
Gary

On the post, as you're typing a message the toolbar shows a picture, click on it and you can add images for the rest of the group to see as well.

Cogswell's business slowed after 1953. The serial numbers began 1953 at 66,632.

For that reason, it's impossible by serial number to determine if your gun was made in '53 or any year up to the late 1950s, maybe into the 1960s.

Pictures of all the proof marks may allow us to triangulate a date of manufacture more precisely.

On the post, as you're typing a message the toolbar shows a picture, click on it and you can add images for the rest of the group to see as well.
I have not posted any pictures. Don't know how. Can I transfer phone picture directly to my post?

Click the button in the toolbar to attach, attach picture.
Respond to your post.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 11.42.02 AM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWR

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's