Choosing a good hunting outfitter

Sorry to be a pain, just a bit uncertain. So are you saying that no deposit whatsoever to the outfitter/ph has been made to book the hunt? Just wanted to clarify your last post. Again, please forgive me if I am mistaken. Thanks for your patience. Just wondering.

You're not mistaken. Last year, he did not want any money in advance. I asked several times, but he always politely declined. Finally, he said that if I really wanted to send him some money that it would be OK, but it wasn't necessary. I've never encountered anything like this before. But, he came highly recommended and didn't disappoint. It will be the same this year.

Thank you BrickBurn! I am sure you understand the reasoning behind my question.

I had the same experience with my ph as well. He was very trusting. I knew that in the past he had been burned before so I just paid the deposit for my own peace of mind. I was a serious pain in the ass.
MT, You have found an excellent outfitter/ph for sure!! You obviously are a good man for him to trust in you. If I were you I'd never hunt with anyone else!! :) Well-done!! Respect!!
You're not mistaken. Last year, he did not want any money in advance. I asked several times, but he always politely declined. Finally, he said that if I really wanted to send him some money that it would be OK, but it wasn't necessary. I've never encountered anything like this before. But, he came highly recommended and didn't disappoint. It will be the same this year.

Because of banking issues in Namibia I was unable to pay before I left to RSA. I intended to pay the balance at the bank on departure.

I was quite close to this in RSA. It was a lot of work and 2 banks later that we were finally able to get someone who was able to transfer the money. When you know your PH must be questioning whether you have 2 nickles to rub together, its not a good feeling I can assure you.

One thing that has not been mentioned is gut feeling. I always let my gut guide me, both towards and away from an outfitter. That is not to say I don't do my homework, I still rigorously research before dropping my deposit but the gut never lets me down. I have steered away from otherwise good appearing outfitters because of it and found myself hunting with others just by a chance situation that leads me to them.

You are right. You will never keep everyone happy.

Next time Marius you can give the guy your bad list along with your good list. See if the guy catches on that they are the same. :)

or Marius could put me on the bad list...... my reason? He didn't offer to tote my rifle for me.
but, now that I think about it, he probably would have offered if he thought I needed him to.

I was quite close to this in RSA. It was a lot of work and 2 banks later that we were finally able to get someone who was able to transfer the money. When you know your PH must be questioning whether you have 2 nickles to rub together, its not a good feeling I can assure you.

It is not a great feeling. You want to pay someone for their services and ensure they get their money and the bank stops you.
Thankfully, we had spoken about my method of payment before I left and the outfitter assured me there would be no problem.
The bank did not agree. Oh well.
Being genuinely distressed about the matter does lend to your credibility.

To me that is one of the warning signs.If it is all about the amount of money paid before the hunt even starts it is going no were fast in my eyes.I will never pay half of anything up front in africa or the states and never have.The old line of then I know for sure you coming gets old.What about I want to know your still going to be in business or pick me up when my hunt starts.I make a 1000.00 depsoit on a 10,000 hunt I can tell you I will be there.Thats still alot of money to me and more then enough to hold any hunt 10,000 or under.

To me that is one of the warning signs.If it is all about the amount of money paid before the hunt even starts it is going no were fast in my eyes.I will never pay half of anything up front in africa or the states and never have.The old line of then I know for sure you coming gets old.What about I want to know your still going to be in business or pick me up when my hunt starts.I make a 1000.00 depsoit on a 10,000 hunt I can tell you I will be there.Thats still alot of money to me and more then enough to hold any hunt 10,000 or under.
Fully agree,especially on a plainsgame hunt.

Hi guys! I jump onto the band wagon, when most have been said. For any newcomer, or someone planning their first hunt to Africa I highly recommend this THREAD! It is well structured, everything about what to look out for and what to seek in an outfitter has been mentioned. A better guide/summary I have not seen.

High Five :second: to all you AH members and contributors.

Hope you're all having a blast of a weekend, keep safe!

Last edited:
Paying half the daily rate before arrival has been standard practice for many years.

I had no problem sending half the rate to my PH, I trust him and also did my homework, a little trip insurance helps if something does happen to either one of us or Plaines stop Flying my insurance will reimburse me

It may be what some think as standard practice for years but for 20 year plus now I have never payed half upfront on any hunt.But also practice what I preach and in my business it is suppose be like that also.I never ask for the so called standard up front.I may get 20% or nothing at all upfront to do the work. Then get the rest when I have a happy client at the end of the job.The outfitter or PH is always free to turn down my business just like I can keep looking.The only right or wrong answer is between the client booking the trip and the outfitter wanting the trip booked

I believe that a 15% deposit on the total quote is reasonable and enough for the outfitter to secure the dates. Deposits are not there to fill gaps in your finances. Thats why you should plan ahead and not spend money you don't have as an outfitter as you may need to return the deposit should the client cancel in the certain time frame given in the contract of the safari.

Unfortunately in other countries your required to pay 50% of your daily rates as deposit which is most of the hunt because of limited quotas and seasons. That also to me is understandable as these are open areas and the outfitters are relying on daily rates for their profit.

But if an outfitter requires a 50% or more deposit on a plains game hunt you better do some more research. Trust between a client and outfitter is the most important aspect of the whole deal and will always be.......

Just my 2cents guys. Good thread!

Best regards,

Jacques

Is a Zebra white with black stripes, or black with white stripes
Which one came first the Chicken or the egg?

"Zebra stripes" made me laugh for hours!

Greetings,

Thanks to all who have posted here. It has been a most informative education for me. I'm still on the road home from DSC but I think I will add to this post once home. Again, Thanks!

For what it's worth, I'm in the process of trying to summarize the post so far and will put them up here as soon as I can. Two things that would be helpful are your thoughts on questions to ask a prospective outfitter and questions to ask references.

I also like if while talking to the outfitters they offer things before i ask them.I have notice in africa how some only like to hunt morning and evening.most really like to get back for lunch and I would guess alot because of the clients.But if they offer some night hunts or hunt all day even over lunch with out any complaints that is a plus in my book.Basically hunt as much as I want not as much as they want.

I also like if while talking to the outfitters they offer things before i ask them.I have notice in africa how some only like to hunt morning and evening.most really like to get back for lunch and I would guess alot because of the clients.But if they offer some night hunts or hunt all day even over lunch with out any complaints that is a plus in my book.Basically hunt as much as I want not as much as they want.

Bill,
Because animals lay up during midday with the exception of Bushbuck. If you don't want to listen to the PH, then listen to nature... :)
As far as I'm concerned, all you are doing by hunting midday, is disrupting the animals' natural movement, which is something we pay attention to that leads to success.
By chasing him all day, the animal will be so alert, that he might skip his movement towards his drinking spot late afternoon, maybe until he feels safe during darkness.
In the Eastern Cape, you need them to move through different areas to have a good chance of seeing them.

Take Care,
Marius

Marius funny you said bushbuck because that is what brought the fact up about hunting all day.I also believe in listening to the ph and some are up for hunting mid day also.Most believe what you say is best and I am not talking running around through the bush.I have posted pics of two bull elk my son has taken.If I would have done the dont hunt all day neither would have been taken.Both taken before prime time first spotted bedded down second one out walking looking for cows.One taken at 130 and second at 230 when most people would being just leaving camp.I have also seen animals that have pattern hunters and come out more mid day when everyone is heading back to camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edgarfrutt

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.