Checking ammo separately

On my two trips to SA flying on Delta, they have never asked me to do that. They were more concerned with my rifle being unloaded and the forms signed. Luck of the draw I guess.

Same hear with Delta. All they have done is asked if had ammo and if was under 11 lbs., they have never weighed it.
Qatar tho weighed at every check in. One time they had me remove ammo from the case and just weigh the ammo itself.
This was in Houston
 
Am I correct in understanding some of you have a small lunch pail sized pelican for ammo and then put it inside a larger suitcase or suitcase sized pelican and check it that way? Then separate on demand?

What pelican do you recommend for 50 rounds of 375h&h and 300wm?
 
That's all you need to do. I have a friend who used a plastic ammo can from Harbor Freight. If you have a Harbor Freight near your home you should check out their Apache cases that are based on the Pelecan case.

I use a MTM case from Midway and use foam rubber to fill the extra space and cushion my ammo boxes.
 
Pelican 1200 is good for 4 boxes of ammo. The 1300 is a bit larger and my experience with it has been you can fit more than the 11 pound limit.

Harbor Freight makes similar cases for much lower price, but the small one is too small and the medium is too big.
 
So I’ve never flown internationally with ammo. In fact been a long time since I flew with ammo. On domestic trips I always ship ammo ahead to my destination well in advance. Internationally I’ve always used local ammo as I’ve mainly done bird hunts.

But I’m doing a European trip this year and need to check some rifle ammo. Reading here it sounds like most people put a locked case in their checked bag. But I never check a bag other than my rifle. I’m a light packer did 3 weeks in Europe this summer out of a backpack well under the carry on limit.

So gets my question. Does it make sense to just buy a pelican case appropriately sized for ammo and check that by itself? Has anyone down this? Or should I sick it up and check a luggage bag which I hate to do.
Check a suitcase and put a Pelican 1200 in there locked with your ammo.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,913
Members
169,639
Latest member
AlbaAlber
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top