Cheap 20 ga

Sanding belts? For the stock? Yowssa! Perhaps for trimming a new recoil pad, but I'd never use a belt sander to refinish a stock. Chemical stripper to remove old finish, scrub with small wire brush, wash clean with water, steam out dents, sand it down (avoiding checkering), then several coats of oil finish taken down to the wood between coats with fine steel wool until grain is filled.

Belts were used to do the initial trimming on the recoil pad.. sanding blocks were then used to do all of the final fitting.. no belts or blocks or sandpaper of any kind was used on the stock.. the stock simply got fresh coats of oil and wax on top of what little was left on it from the last time someone refinished it..

That said, I have absolutely used belts on stocks... I have belts ranging from 36 grit (that will hog off huge amounts of material rapidly) to 1000 grit (which barely removes much of anything even when youre trying)...

I also have pro grade/industrial belt grinders/sanders with attachments to match various contours and shapes..

the greatest challenge with a high grit belt on a stock isnt the excess removal of material or screwing up the lines/contours if you do the job right.. the challenge is keeping the high grit "polishing" belt from burning really hard woods.. to avoid burning you just make very light contact, and keep contact with the belt and the surface you are touching very short in duration..

Belts were used to do the initial trimming on the recoil pad.. sanding blocks were then used to do all of the final fitting.. no belts or blocks or sandpaper of any kind was used on the stock.. the stock simply got fresh coats of oil and wax on top of what little was left on it from the last time someone refinished it..

That said, I have absolutely used belts on stocks... I have belts ranging from 36 grit (that will hog off huge amounts of material rapidly) to 1000 grit (which barely removes much of anything even when youre trying)...

I also have pro grade/industrial belt grinders/sanders with attachments to match various contours and shapes..

the greatest challenge with a high grit belt on a stock isnt the excess removal of material or screwing up the lines/contours if you do the job right.. the challenge is keeping the high grit "polishing" belt from burning really hard woods.. to avoid burning you just make very light contact, and keep contact with the belt and the surface you are touching very short in duration..
Yep, I know about burning with belts and disks. Tricky. I do almost all my sanding of stocks ... actually all sanding now that I think about it ... by hand. Meaning no block, only hand applied 1/3 strip of sandpaper folded in thirds. I rely on stripper to remove 99% of finish. Then various grades of sandpaper and steel wool to clean up. Nothing electrical ever touches my refinished rifle stocks. I have used shop equipment to finish up rough "semi-finished" new stocks from factory.

It is loose in the hinge and has a nasty habit of occasionally firing both barrels
Mike
Mike, what brand is it? Double firing a double trigger shotgun is a rare phenomenon. That would have to be fixed for sure. Depending on the make, that could be a costly fix if replacement parts have to be made. The hinge issue is definitely fixable but requires expertise.

This is who I would use
Finally...someone answered his question.

I have spoken with Turnbull before about a similar project. They did not seem enthusiastic and I'm not going to force my money on them. They underestimate sentimental value, based on past customers having sticker shock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdgzrsap

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia