Chapuis barrel change question

T/C

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be receiving my first double rifle soon, an older used Chapuis in 9,3x74R. No idea which year of mfg or model, pic attached (classic soldered regulation wedge type, laser engraved I think).
I plan on using it first to learn double rifle shooting on the range, then take it hunting (European game) to test my skill with it. The relatively inexpensive 9,3x74R is a bonus, and reloading dies are ordered. Got a supply of Barnes TSX 286gr bullets I want to try.

My newbie question:
Is it possible and advisable to get a second set of barrels for it (installed at factory or by competent gunsmith)?
Guess smaller bores should not be a problem, but what about true big bores like .470 NE? I noticed my rifle does not have any reinforcement ribs on the action around the chambers, so guess it's a "medium" frame. The weight and balance might also be a factor with bigger bores.
c975e5f6-bfed-4b41-8322-81656a1d7302.jpeg

Thanks in advance for your input!

I looked into it for mine. What I learned was, the frame is too small for a larger caliber. There is no 3rd bite, thus the heavier cartridges would stress the frame excessively. And the weight would be very light for a large bore; mine is only 9#, with a scope. A set of 20ga barrels would fit just fine, and smaller calibers are quite doable. Either has a significant price tag. I got lucky when I found mine as it came with 7x65R barrels.
Have fun with it! Great caliber in a well made DR.

Hi Woodcarver,
Thanks for your reply!
I was expecting something along your answer (frame too small, weight too light for big bore).
Funny thing is, the seller's gunsmith (who is no slouch, and regulated some of the seller's vintage guns) told the seller that barrel change to a bigger bore should not be a problem.
Guess I have to interview the gunsmith about exact details of his expertise, and maybe the Chapuis needs re-regulation anyway (although I plan to do this via load development).
In any case, will learn to shoot the 9,3 properly first, it is a great caliber for my usual hunting needs (boar and strong red stag), and more than enough for smaller game.

Last edited:
Hi Woodcarver,
Thanks for your reply!
I was expecting something along your answer (frame too small, weight too light for big bore).
Funny thing is, the seller's gunsmith (who is no slouch, and regulated some of the seller's vintage guns) told the seller that barrel change to a bigger bore should not be a problem.
Guess I have to interview the gunsmith about exact details of his expertise, and maybe the Chapuis needs re-regulation anyway (although I plan to do this via load development).
In any case, will learn to shoot the 9,3 properly first, it is a great caliber for my usual hunting needs (boar and strong red stag), and more than enough for smaller game.
Before you spend any more money on it, give JJ Perodeax in OK a call. He is one of the top DR gunsmiths in the US and specifically a Chapuis expert, and importer. If reregulation is needed, he is the 'smith I'd send it to.

Hi--it looks like your rifle is a small-frame double, similar to an RGEX. Although that precedes my involvement with Chapuis, I am fairly confident that it is built on a 28 or 20-gauge Progress frame. That means that if you want a second set of barrels, they most definitely can't be anything larger than your 9.3x74R. African calibers call for the "Brousse" or "Jungle" frame--currently the Elan or Iphisi models.

Also, the process of having a set of extra barres made--unless they were a set of shotgun barrels (28ga most common)--the rifle would have to be sent back to France and it would be a fairly involved and expensive proposition. But if you are determined, a list of calibers can be found on the Chapuis France (not the Chapuis USA) Web site, under the Progress collection, small frame double rifles.

I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XFRSylvia7

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg