Chapius Iphisi 375h&h

It does function well but we had JJ weaken the ejectors because Chapuis doubles in general are too stiff and can pitch brass 15 feet which is ridiculous. Those springs are set on closing so trimming them also makes closing easier.. Both Gina's Chapuis are still plenty stiff even after JJ did action jobs to loosen them. But the Iphisi is feeling really good after a few shots so pretty happy with that all. It is too bad they come so stiff from the factory. Maybe Tom could work on that;)
I have spoken to two other AH members that are Iphisi owners. Both had the same complaint regarding the action being stiff to open and close. It’s great that JJ remedied yours. I’m sure this is valuable feedback for Tom, might already be sorted.

Why would one want a dg double in a rimless belted cartridge?
Me personally, I would still use my Heym 450NE for DG. The Chapuis would be great to practice with and cheaper to feed than the 450NE. Also, to alleviate wearing out 450NE brass practicing, when it may suddenly become hard to obtain.
It would be fun to scope it and use for plains game. That being said, if I really put it through the paces, without failure, I’d have no problem using it for DG with a PH backing me up (as normal).
Here lately though, I have been leaning more towards 9.3x74R for a (2nd) smaller double. The 375 H&H just always has a steady supply of components.

I have spoken to two other AH members that are Iphisi owners. Both had the same complaint regarding the action being stiff to open and close. It’s great that JJ remedied yours. I’m sure this is valuable feedback for Tom, might already be sorted.
The Heym 89b is also pretty stiff out of the box, but I would rather that than loose.

Sorry, Kevin--I must have misunderstood you. I thought the idea was to have users--i.e., independent people other than the Chapuis product manager--offer unbiased opinions about the rifle.

The Iphisi's functioning is exactly like all other Chapuis African doubles (Brousse and Jungle, called "Elan" here in the US)--nothing different about the action that has been around since at least the '70s, the extractors, the sights, the stock, the recoil pad, etc. The only differences between this model and all other Chapuis African doubles are the following:

1 - The price point--achieved through minimal engraving and the colorcase finish, and

2 - The scope mounting system. Besides the Recknagel pivot mounts (common to all Chapuis African doubles), the Iphisi has Talley bases out of the box, for those who don't want to spend $500+

I would also add that as of later this year, all .375, .450-400 and .470 Chapuis doubles will take specially-made Skinner Sights accessories: a) an adjustable peep sight mounted in the rear scopemounting slot, plus a flat block to replace the existing express sights; and b) a ready-made adapter for red-dot sights to be mounted on the forward scopemounting slot. These will be available for the Iphisi and the Elan models and require no gunsmithing or alteration to the rifles.

As for the .450-400 Iphisi, I'm introducing it in 2025. In the spirit of full disclosure, 2024 is the last year in which I'll be able to hold the $9,999 MSRP for the Iphisi (USA market). Production costs in France have gone up and I'm already operating on a fairly thin margin, so I expect that starting next year MSRP will be a bit higher. The .450-400 will cost more than the .375, of course. I will keep everyone posted about the specifics (which I don't know yet, so I couldn't answer "by how much?").

Lastly, it's not that the Iphisi "likes" Hornady ammo; it's expressly regulated for it, as per my specifications to the factory. Naturally, it will very likely do fine with other brands or loads--I shoot my regular 270gr load in mine and it does very acceptably with it. :giggle:
Thanks Tom, that is a huge help.
Kevin

Ok, Safari Barbie aka @Just Gina says to tell everyone that she has been slaving like a cursed Princess in a fairy tale, painting and even repairing drywall. So we are getting down to the wire on our next trip to Africa and she asked me to go sight in and shoot her Iphisi. So I did that tonight. Got it somewhat sighted in... I think we may want the left barrel sighted at 100 yards but I was shooting at 55 off Stable Sticks. So it's shooting high and it got late before I got to stretch it out to 100 yards. And in all fairness it was heating up so not sure how accuracy was being effected.

If you recall Gina had JJ cut the stock and install a mercury recoil reducer as well as mount a Swarovski Z8 1-8. I was using the scope tonight. The LOP is short for me. The gun is heavy and recoil very controlled and probably on par with my Winchester M70 in 375 H&H.

Like too many doubles, it appears to love Hornady ammo. I started with DGS then moved on to Federal TBBC. I was satisfied with both. In fact the left barrel was so close that it knocked the sticker off the hole. I drew an X though the left DGX and the one above is the left TBBC.

It ejects nicely as JJ has trimmed that spring so it pitched brass out nicely but not 10 feet away. To start out I needed to poke the cartridges in to get past the clip for extracting the none rimmed cartridges. After a few shots they dropped in nicely so pretty happy with that.

I then tried som Remington Premium A Frames and Federal Trophy Copper. Both were about 5" apart with the shots still crossing. Again by then the barrels were heating up.

View attachment 606488
First of all Bob you are cutting @justgina short…she is way prettier and a much better hunter than Barbi!!!

First of all Bob you are cutting @justgina short…she is way prettier and a much better hunter than Barbi!!!
True! She picked that Barbie thing up "On a Lighter Note" ;)

Tried again this evening and pretty well tuned into the Federal TBBC. Although I have not tried DGX as I don't have the Bonded version in 375.

Shot at 100 yards off a bench with a lead sled.... maybe that is a big no no? I'm sure it didn't hurt the rifle any as it is not a big thumper.

Got a 2.5" crossed pattern at 100 yards and was pretty satisfied at 55 yards on the sticks last night. The DGS was about 5.5" and nothing else has been acceptable at all. Those Hornady 270 grain softs were about a foot low and 8" apart at 100 and not good enough to write about at 55. Neither was Woodliegh Hydro Solids nor Nosler solids. For a solid it looks like DGS in this rifle which we have a good stock of.

@Fatback is selling me some high energy Federal TBBC to try and I may try Hornady DGX regular that I have to see how it shoots.

But if Gina or her Dad decide to use this rifle, I'm satisfied it will do great on buffalo, giraffe body shots, blue wildebeest, etc. With Federal TBBC...

On to some other rifles;)

@Tom Leoni can any of the Champis be factory regulated with Norma Ammo? And any chance for factory bracket for Doctor mount?

On a completely unrelated topic, where can one purchase the SAKO stock oil that’s listed in the owners manual? Apologies for the slight high jacking.

Me thinks that the Ipishi in 450/400NE will sell like hotcakes..provided that the price is resonable..

Ideally it should be chambered in .375 Flanged...but when did you last see a package of .375 Flanged in a gun store..? Not to mention in Africa..? Right..

450/400 makes a lot more sense......

ActionBob, your regulation issues are what concern me about buying a DR that hasn’t been throughly dialed in.

I have owned 4 brands now and hope to buy another eventually. But only if it has the load worked up properly and it’s 100% dialed in. Or I get a deal and then it goes straight to JJ

Factory test shot targets. From my experience are not worth the shipping cost.

ActionBob, your regulation issues are what concern me about buying a DR that hasn’t been throughly dialed in.

I have owned 4 brands now and hope to buy another eventually. But only if it has the load worked up properly and it’s 100% dialed in. Or I get a deal and then it goes straight to JJ

Factory test shot targets. From my experience are not worth the shipping cost.
I wouldn't call them regulation issues. More me playing around to see if some factory ammo other than Hornady 300 grain would regulate. It looks like the Federal TBBC are regulating just fine. In fact for as tight a group I got at 100 yards I'm wondering this morning what they will look like at 150 and 200? In any case, at those ranges I think if the left barrel is on that is what can be expected and is reasonable. Otherwise another great thing about Chapuis is the ease of regulating them as the wedge has a tab sticking out for the gunsmith to pull or push a bit.

@Tom Leoni can any of the Champis be factory regulated with Norma Ammo? And any chance for factory bracket for Doctor mount?

Of course, it can be factory regulated to any load. Choosing Hornady DGX was purely a business decision--this load is the most popular .375 H&H sold in the US market.

BTW, I'd be willing to do a batch of five or more (2025 or later) regulated for other loads.

@Altitude sickness - all Chapuis doubles are "thoroughly dialed in" and come with the actual 50-meter target and load information in the box. Naturally, though, they are regulated for one particular load (in this case, the Hornady DGX), so if you want to change loads, you just have to experiment. Sometimes you get lucky, like Action Bob with the Federal TBBC, sometimes you have to be patient and try different combinations--and you always have the option to have it re-regulated by a gunsmith such as Perodeau, if you are dead-set on using one particular load and one particular load only.

Speaking as a person still fairly new to the world of double rifles, my limited experience so far has shown you don't necessarily have to re-regulate a DR when you want to change bullet type being used. But you very likely will need to be one who hand loads their ammunition.

The Chapuis Elan I have in .470NE I believe was regulated with Hornady factory ammo. I don't actually remember nor do I care. For softs it's North Fork Bonded Cores or Swift A-Frames for me, end of story.

I worked up loads for both of these bullet types with NO changes to the rifle. I've also developed a load for the North Fork Cup Point Solid (CPS) that matches POI for the bonded core.

Now if you're not a hand loader you may get lucky. From one factory ammo to another or even a different bullet from the same factory, it may just work out. I know I've read of it happening, but I've also read of plenty of experiences as @ActionBob has had.

At this point, yes you could send the rifle to be re-regulated and force the rifle if you will to shoot the ammunition of your choice. But then you're kind of back in the same boat. You're locked in on a single load and you need to hope that future purchases of that ammunition shoot like the batch you regulated it with.

The other option is to learn to load your own, or work with a business like Hendershot's to let them do the loading work and you do the shooting to develop a load that works for your rifle. Time consuming yes, but at least you're not touching the rifle. And you could do this for multiple bullet selections.

Just my thoughts, poke away at it, I offer it up for discussion and not as expert opinion.

@DAK - Thank you! It is always great to talk to knowledgeable and passionate hunters.

Speaking as a person still fairly new to the world of double rifles, my limited experience so far has shown you don't necessarily have to re-regulate a DR when you want to change bullet type being used. But you very likely will need to be one who hand loads their ammunition.

The Chapuis Elan I have in .470NE I believe was regulated with Hornady factory ammo. I don't actually remember nor do I care. For softs it's North Fork Bonded Cores or Swift A-Frames for me, end of story.

I worked up loads for both of these bullet types with NO changes to the rifle. I've also developed a load for the North Fork Cup Point Solid (CPS) that matches POI for the bonded core.

Now if you're not a hand loader you may get lucky. From one factory ammo to another or even a different bullet from the same factory, it may just work out. I know I've read of it happening, but I've also read of plenty of experiences as @ActionBob has had.

At this point, yes you could send the rifle to be re-regulated and force the rifle if you will to shoot the ammunition of your choice. But then you're kind of back in the same boat. You're locked in on a single load and you need to hope that future purchases of that ammunition shoot like the batch you regulated it with.

The other option is to learn to load your own, or work with a business like Hendershot's to let them do the loading work and you do the shooting to develop a load that works for your rifle. Time consuming yes, but at least you're not touching the rifle. And you could do this for multiple bullet selections.

Just my thoughts, poke away at it, I offer it up for discussion and not as expert opinion.
Phil you are absolutely correct! We have all the equipment (well starter kits etc., dies, some powders, bullets, cases). Just have not taken time to set it up and start reloading. We have so much going on and I do not want to start down the road reloading going off half cocked;)

So it really wasn't all that bad. I shot off mostly just two of every ammo we have that we'd be ok using. Did that at 55 yards and again at 100 so 4 rounds each total.... I wanted to shoot the gun anyway so probably bugged a neighbor or two but it was just a couple evenings after it cooled down and the sun was to my back on our range:)

Came up with real decent performance out of one of my favorite loads. I actually like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw slightly better than A Frames. A Frames tend to "squat" as they mushroom and become more round, TBBC make a more traditional mushroom with more tail. Not sure that it matters but I heard Kevin Robertson talk on how he thinks A Frames have potential to roll off a straight line penetration.... Now he emphasized they are very good bullets one should not hesitate to use, but if there was a flaw to be found....

I'm not sure everyone fully understands what a project you can be taking on when using a double rifle.... I'm still not convinced it is my favorite thing. They are fun to own and shoot. But bolt guns are easy once you have one that feeds reliably. Dealing with one barrel is certainly much simpler. Exponentially so.

Phil is correct in that slight changes in speed, etc have major effects. Heck I mentioned that I'm not sure it's ok to shoot a double of the bench. Regulation will likely change by the way recoil is handled.

I remember shooting my first 505 Gibbs off sticks at 50 yards and having 600 grain bullets going at 1950 fps hitting 8" higher than 525 grain at 2300 fps. The hypothesis was that after ignition but prior to the bullet leaving the muzzle, the recoil rize of said muzzle was greater simply because the bullet was traveling slower down the barrel during recoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armand93

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,