Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
(Champlin’s description as only George can do)
#438, Champlin Bolt Rifle in Caliber 458 Lott with a 24" Octagon Barrel with a Machined Integral 1/4 rib, front ramp and barrel sling stud. The gun has a fixed standing rear sight, The 1/4 rib is hand matted, Tang safety, Two panel bolt knob checkering, Hinged floorplate with a center bow release, Jeweled bolt and follower, Canjar trigger, Stocked by Maurice Ottmar with a point pattern checkering, Ebony forend tip, Trapdoor grip cap, 14 1/8" L.O.P. over a 7/8" pad with a 1/4" spacer added but with it removed you still can get 14" with a 1' pad, 9 lbs., The gun was built as a 458 Win. Mag. and our shop altered to a 458 Lott, The original blue is at 94%, The stock remains at 90-92% with typical handling marks and the checkering is at 98%. This gun remains very honest and solid and ready for the plains of Africa.

Last month, I had JJ go through the rifle, updating the recoil paid and building 30mm claw mount scope base and rings. Beautiful rifle! To the buyer, I might have considerable reloading components available for the Lott. I will not sell that before the rifle. Scope is not included at this price but these are my favorite DG scopes!
$7500 with the expensive claw mounts built by JJ.

Champlin 375 H&H

This one was not bought from Champlin so I don’t have the detailed description for it. It’s the full custom Champlin bolt action with short bolt throw, octagonal action and 24" octagonal barrel with integral sights, etc. These are beautiful barrels and the actions are soooo smooth. Wonderful rifles. JJ went through this one last month also with updated recoil pad and JJ built a swing mount and 30mm rings for it. Scope is not included at this price. $7500 with the expensive swing mounts built by JJ.

I hate to even list this pair of beautiful Champlin octagonal rifles but I’m on the hunt for an early Rigby .416! These are the perfect pair for Africa.

I can get more photos for serious interested buyers. These guns are in excellent condition, recently verified by JJ. Top gun is 375 H&H...bottom gun is 458 Lott.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 2.45.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 2.44.52 PM.png

To give you a sense of the Champlin's design and layout...here is the set of photos from Champlin's for the 458 Lott...it's similar for both rifles.

Champ458LottJ78.jpg

Thanks. 3 lug but very different. Here's more info from an online review...

The Champlin action was uniquely different yet was a product of an era of bolt action rifle design where a lot of experimentation was going on. Roy Weatherby’s action with its 60° bolt lift and three banks of three locking lugs had impressed many. The notion of a bolt face that completely surrounded the cartridge head had also become desirable for its claims to superior strength. Remington’s 600 and 700 series also featured the fully enclosed bolt face idea and Remington actions had become favourites of the competitive benchrest set. My own .220 Russian bench rig was based on a short Remington action. Even Winchester got into the act and created their new “Post 64” bolt action with a fully recessed bolt face and plunger ejector, to the immediate chagrin of loyal Winchester enthusiasts.

Champlin-7-mm-Remington-Magnum-12.jpg

The Champlin action design shared some basic concepts between the Weatherby and the Remington but with significant improvements over both. The action was front locking with three solid locking lugs. The ejector being a substantial sliding blade. Behind those three locking lugs were three ribs which served as guide ribs. These guide ribs made the bolt movement as smooth and bind free as even the most perfectionist user might desire.

Champlin-7-mm-Remington-Magnum-13.jpg

Looking at the underside of the Champlin bolt we can see that the bottom guide rail is recessed for the bolt stop pin. The bolt stop pin being activated by the trigger, i.e. lifting the bolt and withdrawing the bolt, then pressing the trigger fully lowers the bolt stop and allows the bolt to be withdrawn from the rifle receiver.

Champlin-7-mm-Remington-Magnum-14.jpg

In addition to their role as guide rails the three rails also engage the bridge of the receiver when the bolt is closed. They do not bear but act as safety lugs. The root of the bolt handle locks down into a recess also. In short this was and is a very strong action, fully capable of handling cartridges such as the .460 Weatherby. In the event of a cartridge case head rupture the bolt vents gases down into the magazine well and the fully enclosed bolt shroud prevents any from coming back at the shooter’s face. There are no vents at the top or side of the bolt, only at the bottom, to prevent dust and grime getting into the bolt.

Attachments

• Champlin Custom 7 mm Remington Magnum - Revivaler.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 41

The Champlin action was uniquely different yet was a product of an era of bolt action rifle design where a lot of experimentation was going on. Roy Weatherby’s action with its 60° bolt lift and three banks of three locking lugs had impressed many. The notion of a bolt face that completely surrounded the cartridge head had also become desirable for its claims to superior strength. Remington’s 600 and 700 series also featured the fully enclosed bolt face idea and Remington actions had become favourites of the competitive benchrest set. My own .220 Russian bench rig was based on a short Remington action. Even Winchester got into the act and created their new “Post 64” bolt action with a fully recessed bolt face and plunger ejector, to the immediate chagrin of loyal Winchester enthusiasts.

View attachment 564364

The Champlin action design shared some basic concepts between the Weatherby and the Remington but with significant improvements over both. The action was front locking with three solid locking lugs. The ejector being a substantial sliding blade. Behind those three locking lugs were three ribs which served as guide ribs. These guide ribs made the bolt movement as smooth and bind free as even the most perfectionist user might desire.

View attachment 564365

Looking at the underside of the Champlin bolt we can see that the bottom guide rail is recessed for the bolt stop pin. The bolt stop pin being activated by the trigger, i.e. lifting the bolt and withdrawing the bolt, then pressing the trigger fully lowers the bolt stop and allows the bolt to be withdrawn from the rifle receiver.

View attachment 564366

In addition to their role as guide rails the three rails also engage the bridge of the receiver when the bolt is closed. They do not bear but act as safety lugs. The root of the bolt handle locks down into a recess also. In short this was and is a very strong action, fully capable of handling cartridges such as the .460 Weatherby. In the event of a cartridge case head rupture the bolt vents gases down into the magazine well and the fully enclosed bolt shroud prevents any from coming back at the shooter’s face. There are no vents at the top or side of the bolt, only at the bottom, to prevent dust and grime getting into the bolt.
Great info! These will make someone some fine rifles! GLWS!

#438, Champlin Bolt Rifle in Caliber 458 Lott with a 24" Octagon Barrel with a Machined Integral 1/4 rib, front ramp and barrel sling stud. The gun has a fixed standing rear sight, The 1/4 rib is hand matted, Tang safety, Two panel bolt knob checkering, Hinged floorplate with a center bow release, Jeweled bolt and follower, Canjar trigger, Stocked by Maurice Ottmar with a point pattern checkering, Ebony forend tip, Trapdoor grip cap, 14 1/8" L.O.P. over a 7/8" pad with a 1/4" spacer added but with it removed you still can get 14" with a 1' pad, 9 lbs., The gun was built as a 458 Win. Mag. and our shop altered to a 458 Lott, The original blue is at 94%, The stock remains at 90-92% with typical handling marks and the checkering is at 98%. This gun remains very honest and solid and ready for the plains of Africa.

Last month, I had JJ go through the rifle, updating the recoil paid and building 30mm claw mount scope base and rings. Beautiful rifle! To the buyer, I might have considerable reloading components available for the Lott. I will not sell that before the rifle. Scope is not included at this price but these are my favorite DG scopes!

Champlin 375 H&H

This one was not bought from Champlin so I don’t have the detailed description for it. It’s the full custom Champlin bolt action with short bolt throw, octagonal action and 24" octagonal barrel with integral sights, etc. These are beautiful barrels and the actions are soooo smooth. Wonderful rifles. JJ went through this one last month also with updated recoil pad and JJ built a swing mount and 30mm rings for it. Scope is not included at this price. $7500 with the expensive swing mounts built by JJ.

I hate to even list this pair of beautiful Champlin octagonal rifles but I’m on the hunt for an early Rigby .416! These are the perfect pair for Africa.

I can get more photos for serious interested buyers. These guns are in excellent condition, recently verified by JJ. Top gun is 375 H&H...bottom gun is 458 Lott.

View attachment 564357

View attachment 564358
George is absolutely one of a kind.

Champlin 375 H&H

View attachment 564357

View attachment 564358

Champlin 375 H&H

View attachment 564357

View attachment 564358
A couple of amazing rifles here, I am fortunate to own a Champlin, stocked by Len Brownell, these actions are on another level, you have to own one fully appreciate how special they are!

What caliber is your Champlin? Really neat guns. Part of me HOPES they don't sell! It's just one way to finance other goals.

George is absolutely one of a kind.
One of my favorite gun descriptions from George ended this way...This gun will remain as a treasure but the others are ugly today and will remain ugly forever. The toughest, most versatile, hard-core watch in the world is a Timex Ironman, but wearing one of these ugly timepieces makes you look like a substitute gym teacher. Hunt with one of those ugly guns and look just like that substitute gym teacher.

Both Champlins are still available. These are without a doubt the smoothest actions I have handled out of many customs and all factory rifles.

George and his team put out some great rifles. These are fine examples.

View attachment 564364

View attachment 564365

View attachment 564366

Surely a small outfit like Champlin didn't make their own actions? What are they? Kleingunther actions? Voere Actions?

They look very familiar, I just can't quite place them.

I just texted JJ to get clarity. He says Champlin designed and built in house.

I just texted JJ to get clarity. He says Champlin designed and built in house.
I spoke to JJ about them once and IIRC he said they were either losing money or barely breaking even on them at the end due to how much time and effort they had in them.

JJ says it was designed for mag cartridges. There were a few made on 270/280 standard length. One large in 505 Gibbs and two in .222 along with a prototype single shot .222.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthaMcCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.