SkullKeeper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
As you can see in the photo “8x57 MR” - I’ve not seen this designation before and am wondering what it means? I’m sure this is a dumb question but it’s a question nonetheless! Thank you in advance for the help.
IMG_5114.jpeg

I will venture a opinion, it would be the standard 8x57 Rimless case & I think the .323 slug, may be best to check the bore to make sure it isn't the early .318 bore.

I think there is no great problem shooting the .323 in the .318 bore as long as throat lets the bullet release ?

I shoot .318 in my very worn .303 rifles but always check to see if a fired case will release a .318 bullet first, some will, or I could open the throats slightly.

AH ...Yes a not so Newbie.....has entered the "Dark Side" in search of wisdom.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As a wise man once said, " the only dumb question is the question not asked."

My apologies, but I can't answer your question. But I'm sure you will be getting a few comments/answers to your question soon(er)....or later.... depends on those who know people, and the sacred ones, and those that require a Google search for the answer that is on their "add to home screen".

We both know how this community works. Thus we await the answers to our inquisitiveness from those who know the answers vs those whom think they know the answers through opinion or those that..."well I heard from a friend who heard from a friend who heard from..." thus take it as fact.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .

It is nice to stir the pot once in awhile. Popcorn and beer anyone?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Damn glad our friend the OP did ask Bob @35Whelen about his ownership of a .243.LMFAO.

OH, Please, Get Over It!! I mean no offense to anyone here on AH. This forum is better than the Encyclopedia Britannica when looking for an answer to any firearm, ballistics, hunting, etc., etc., question!!!

Just to good of an OP for me not to chime in and :A Stirring::A Stirring::A Stirring::A Outta::E Rofl:

I await the answers to the Op's question as a somewhat comparison to the inquisitive posts I've recently made regarding my 7.7 Jap rifle.

8 x 57 MR? Ref: @Sarg's opinion should the barrel/ rifling be "shot out"....does or rather the MR stand for Modified Rifling? Thus the 8x57 rifle bore is approaching near yet still a sub 9mm bore?

Last edited:
It should be standard 7.92/8x57mm Mauser rimless, presumably the later bullet diameter. Marking the calibre as 8x57MR seems to be a Belgian thing, since it appears on rifles made or modified by FN et al, and that's a Liege and Belgian Nitro Proof on your barrel.

AH ...Yes a not so Newbie.....has entered the "Dark Side" in search of wisdom.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As a wise man once said, " the only dumb question is the question not asked."

My apologies, but I can't answer your question. But I'm sure you will be getting a few comments/answers to your question soon(er)....or later.... depends on those who know people, and the sacred ones, and those that require a Google search for the answer that is on their "add to home screen".

We both know how this community works. Thus we await the answers to our inquisitiveness from those who know the answers vs those whom think they know the answers through opinion or those that..."well I heard from a friend who heard from a friend who heard from..." thus take it as fact.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .

It is nice to stir the pot once in awhile. Popcorn and beer anyone?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Damn glad our friend the OP did ask Bob @35Whelen about his ownership of a .243.LMFAO.

OH, Please, Get Over It!! I mean no offense to anyone here on AH. This forum is better than the Encyclopedia Britannica when looking for an answer to any firearm, ballistics, hunting, etc., etc., question!!!

Just to good of an OP for me not to chime in and :A Stirring::A Stirring::A Stirring::A Outta::E Rofl:

I await the answers to the Op's question as a somewhat comparison to the inquisitive posts I've recently made regarding my 7.7 Jap rifle.

8 x 57 MR? Ref: @Sarg's opinion should the barrel/ rifling be "shot out"....does or rather the MR stand for Modified Rifling? Thus the 8x57 rifle bore is approaching near yet still a sub 9mm bore?
…patience Grasshopper….:))

It should be standard 7.92/8x57mm Mauser rimless, presumably the later bullet diameter. Marking the calibre as 8x57MR seems to be a Belgian thing, since it appears on rifles made or modified by FN et al, and that's a Liege and Belgian Nitro Proof on your barrel.
That makes sense. Thank you for your input.

Someone beat on this stamp a couple of times - not sure if this is pertinent information or not…maybe the shop that did the claw mounts?
IMG_5137.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?