Chacma baboon.....what's "big enough"?

No, you're not the only one that has that concern; I've been considering selling my AR15 for something else to compliment my M-14.......would like to get a nice bolt gun in .223 for varminting, but as you said, if it shoots back, I'd like something bigger. Besides, I'm not real crazy about the AR platforms.......
Unfortunately, the SA govt. has seen fit to prevent me from bringing my M-14 to their country.........too bad, as a 20 round magazine and a troop of baboons might make for some interesting memories!!

Sadly the AR isn't allowed in SA. You can get it in 450 bushmaster, 243, 308, 6.8 and 50 beowulf. really a very versatile platform
 
Honest-Trailers-Dawn-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes.jpg

It's the chimpanzees riding horseback and carrying two SAW's that you really have to worry about... Thankfully, they're only in 5.56! :p
 

Attachments

  • Honest-Trailers-Dawn-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes.jpg
    Honest-Trailers-Dawn-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 269
Last edited by a moderator:
A note on the 'primates with a 5.56.' The 5.56 was introduced to wound not kill. A FMJ 5.56 wounds and requires the wounded man to be carried by 2 to 4 others. The thinking is that's 3 or 5 men off of the battlefield instead of one. A lot of UK soldiers were very upset to leave their 7.62 Brownings for their 5.56 SA80s; particularly those that had used the former in the Falklands, and the latter in the Gulf!

I have no knowledge of Baboon, but Homo Sapiens die quicker with a 7.62.
 
Doubtful that you'll be carrying a .223 around the bush. Most baboons are taken as targets of opportunity. Doubt anyone would waste a whole day just looking for smelly baboons.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,177
Members
169,505
Latest member
CharliL771
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top