Cast Bullets??

ecorrigan

New member
Joined
Dec 29, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Hunted
United States
I'm new here so bear with me if I display some degree of ignorance in my first-ever post!
I'm curious if anyone shoots cast bullets in their double-rifles. I am considering a .450/.400 3 1/4 for a 2013-or-14 DG hunt and am wondering about the idea of practicing with it here at my local range to build up some experience with the rifle. I reload for all my other hunting rifles and firearms that I shoot consistently, so it's a thought for the .450/.400, but I'm open to higher knowledge!!
 
I don't make cast bullets or shoot them. But there are plenty of guys that do just that, so they can shoot for pennies on the dollar.
 
I use cast bullets for my 45-70 I get them from Laser cast they are a silver alloy bullet no lead to foul your barrel fun to shoot and are harder then solid brass. You can check them out at Home to see if the have what you need.
 
I use cast bullets in my 416 Rigby for a practice load. I buy them from Montana Cast bullets. The cast loads make excellent, mild practice fodder using Accurate 5744.
 
I have casted & shot cast bullets in a 45/70 Thompson contender. They should work fine for practice. You might be better off buying them as casting the bigger diameter bullets take a lot of time as the mold gets really hot & to make good cast bullets you need the temperature just right. If you are going to cast them make sure you use a good hard lead alloy. I would suggest using linotype & wheel weights with atleast a 50/50 mixture so you keep the barrell fouling to a minimum.
 
I cast and shoot lead (wheel weight) bullets in my .375 RUM. They are great for low cost, low recoil practice.
 
I use cast bullets in my 416 Rigby for a practice load. I buy them from Montana Cast bullets. The cast loads make excellent, mild practice fodder using Accurate 5744.

I have used the same load, for those of you that don't know the load can be used in any large caliber. I first read it in a book "Dangerous Game Rifles". The author Says use Accurate arms 5744, take your empty case (Anything from say 30-30 WCF, to big guns like the 460 Weatherby) Fill the empty case with 5744 then dump the fill case load on your scale, divide by 40-55% of full case, and that is your load. As I no longer have a .416 Rigby as I remember the load I used was 50 Grains of 5744 with a 400 grain cast lead bullet. I think the MZ was about 1400-1600 FPS, and I would have had no problem using this load on Black Bear, or deer. But as I said you can use the load in any caliber. I am delayed because I just moved to a new house so my reloading stuff is not up and running right now, but I am looking forward to loading my 9.3x62mm with lead and 5744. Oh just should add that I still have much empty Norma Brass (Most never loaded and new) for the .416 Rigby, along with about 150 .416 350 grain bullets, anyone need them contact me, or I can just buy a new .416, cause You know I have the brass, so....lol
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,271
Messages
1,571,239
Members
169,289
Latest member
ShoshanaR4
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top