Carrying your rifle in the bush

Elton

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Random question that entered my mind, how do you the members carry your rifle when in the bush? Lets exclude DG hunting for this as i believe the majority will not use a sling when DG hunting.

However for PG I was wondering who used slings over the shoulder and who carried their rifles in their hands.

I use to carry with a sling but whenever i headed into thick stuff i use to carry the rifle in my hands.

Last year's hunt was in extremely thick bush so i ended up carrying the rifle in my hand and arms the whole time. I also noticed the strap wasn't too comfortable and kept moving it from 1 shoulder to another on the long walks.

This got me wondering whether or not I should bother with a sling for my new Rifle?

Random question that entered my mind, how do you the members carry your rifle when in the bush? Lets exclude DG hunting for this as i believe the majority will not use a sling when DG hunting.

However for PG I was wondering who used slings over the shoulder and who carried their rifles in their hands.

I use to carry with a sling but whenever i headed into thick stuff i use to carry the rifle in my hands.

Last year's hunt was in extremely thick bush so i ended up carrying the rifle in my hand and arms the whole time. I also noticed the strap wasn't too comfortable and kept moving it from 1 shoulder to another on the long walks.

This got me wondering whether or not I should bother with a sling for my new Rifle?
For plains game I carry with the sling but I also use it to loop up for a steadier hold. I also carry muzzle down Rhodesian style so if a shot presents itself I roll the muzzle forward and up into shooting position. Use what works for you and is most comfortable.

On my rather heavy .30 cal PG rifle, I have flush cups installed on both sides. For me, very easy carrying with a sling when walking and if necessary can carry with muzzle pointed down. If sling isn't needed, push the buttons and remove the sling.

Last edited:
Do you carry anything else? Camera, binocular, water bottle in back pack??
If at any point you need two hands, then you need sling to shoulder the rifle.

In bush, you dont need binocular. nor camera, but neither a hunter is 100% of time in bush. There are clearings, there are situations like climbing in the back of car, when you need two hands.

So, I vote for rifle on sling, and i will carry the rifle in hand when situation dictates.

For fine British shotguns that come in pair (no1 and no 2), you dont need sling - because a gun loader loads the guns, and hands them over to shooter who doesn't move from his peg.

In African tradition if gun bearer is carrying the rifle all the time, you dont need sling.

But, if you are actually walking and dont have dedicated gun bearer, and walk around with only one guide, who carries the stick fro you (and his own binocular), whether it be PH or tracker, and you change the terrain from grass plains to the bush, during the day, and change locations by moving with car (climbing to back seats), then it would be wise to have a sling.

Rubber slings that won’t slip off your shoulder. They also stretch and contract a bit with your walking gait. I find them to be very comfortable. I hate a sling that won’t stay on your shoulder! These stay even if you have a daypack or backpack on. Also a lifetime warranty!

What @Scott CWO just said: a rubberized sling. I use the Quake Claw, and I like the low profile of their slimline model.

Some of the terrain I hunt up here for moose is really thick, with alders and high grass. So I guess I'm used to it. Yeah there is some shifting of where the rifle is at from time to time but I still prefer it on my shoulder, and, as Scott said, I really like it to stay where I put it until I decide I want it somewhere else. I don't remember any issues in Africa last year with what I used.

Rubber slings that won’t slip off your shoulder. They also stretch and contract a bit with your walking gait. I find them to be very comfortable. I hate a sling that won’t stay on your shoulder! These stay even if you have a daypack or backpack on. Also a lifetime warranty!
This. The sling is super handy, and I wouldn't even think about going on safari without a binocular around my neck in a harness. 8x32's with a Rick Young harness is lightweight and versatile.

Another vote for the Quake Claw sling and Rick Young bino harness

During my hunt this year in SA Eastern Cape, the sling came in handy during the climbs around the mountains, and I didn't realize how important the sling was in this area where both hands are needed to hang on to something while going up or down these mountains until my sling stud broke. After this incident I had to carry my rifle in one hand or the other and only had one hand for support. On flat terrain, this was an inconvenience but not a big issue.

I use a sling, the padded Els leather one and carry my double pointing up. Unless it is raining, then I point it down. I find it comfortable to alternate between left and right shoulder.
As to other stuff I have absolutely nothing on my belt, or round my neck, it just gets in the way. So four rounds in loops above my left pocket, my Opinel No7 in the left hip pouch and my mini Swarovski binos in the right hip pouch. These little 7x21 binos are so excellent I can't see how I ever managed without them. Truth is I probably missed a lot.
0C71E854-83DE-4C3B-9888-0B21D8ACFD6A.jpeg

If flat ground, I personally just switch back and forth from left arm cradle to right hand when things get thicker.

Slings are not meant for walking around all lazylike imo; they are primarily for when your hands are going to be needed (climbing a hillside, carrying extra clothes/seat, bringing the rifle up the tree, dragging an animal) or to provide a makeshift rest when shooting - which i have only ever done 1 time in 30 years of hunting.

I think all we need to do is look at upland bird hunters to realize a sling is just not needed to walk around on relatively flat ground all day

If I am doing a lot of walking...I carry my rifle with a sling (Murray Leather) on my left shoulder with the barrel to my front so my left hand can control the direction of the barrel. When it's time to unsling, I use my left hand to grip the rifle forend, slack the sling to remove it...then shoulder the rifle. It's a pretty quick maneuver and easy to do after practicing a couple of times.

If I'm climbing or need 2 hands, I'll have it slung diagonally across my body with the rifle on my back.

If I'm not doing a lot of walking/climbing, or at least don't plan on it...I unsling and put it on my cartridge belt just in case. I'll carry the rifle in a kind of "port arms" position with two hands most of the time. Other times it will be carried one handed by the magazine area, being ever conscious of where my barrel is pointing. I rarely in the "African carry" (over the shoulder with barrel forward) for safety reasons.

1658508978894.png

EDIT - @Scott CWO - I had one of those Ultimate Slings. It went all sticky on me after having it for a couple of years. For my waterfowl shotgun I've been using one of the Quake slings for over 10 years with no issues.

Last edited:
If I'm just walking to get from point a to point b for a shot, nothing digging in to my back and a couple button pushes, it's gone.
sling_setup.jpg

Imo every rifle should be made with this trigger guard
I tend to agree!
I was shooting not a rifle, but black powder pistol "La page", replica of French pistol from Napoleonic era.
And this this type trigger guard and finger rest are top!

I used a sling on my rifle(s) for both of my trips to Africa which included dangerous game (buffalo). I guess it it what you are use to. The main point for me is muzzle control not sweeping your muzzle over your PH or trackers. Being able to control direction. And of course carrying it in my hands when needed. It was all relatively flat compared to the type of hunting I do at home for elk, sheep and deer. I like the kind of slings that are elastic to some degree that "give" a little so as not to pound you into the ground with each step. some kind of slip resistance on the strap that contacts your shoulder is also helpful. For sheep hunting with a pack I used a scabbard that was attached to the "inside" of my pack and that is where my guns was when hiking. In my hands when hunting of course.

Trader Keith non slip. Always. No binos. Nothing on the belt except cartridge holder

Imo every rifle should be made with this trigger guard

View attachment 478662
I have a trigger guard like that on my two .577 Boxer revolvers, haven’t shot them as can’t afford to shoot off $100 a round Collector Ammo & haven’t done any reloading for them, so don’t know if it helps ?

Left shoulder, barrel down, trader Keith’s sling. Bino’s under my armpit in a Rick Young harness. Els & Co webbed belt with ammo slide, knife, water bottle and possibles pouch. I’ve covered a lot of miles with that kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Desmond12

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia