Cape Buffalo Charge At Five Yards

Intense, for sure! Maybe a DR would have allowed the PH two initial shots before the bull turned away. Difficult to know.

I've always been curious in the case of an unexpected charge. If it's not a trophy bull, and wasn't ever your intended quarry and the PH shoots first (or the client shoots to protect the PH), I imagine the client would not be expected to pay for/fill his license on that animal.

On the other hand, if it's a nice bull, and the client had an important part in the shooting (as in this case), I imagine the client has the option to claim the animal???

Obviously, in a dangerous situation all of that can be sorted out later...... Protecting the client, observers, trackers, photographers, game scouts, and the PH is of course the ONLY priority.

Intense, for sure! Maybe a DR would have allowed the PH two initial shots before the bull turned away. Difficult to know.

I've always been curious in the case of an unexpected charge. If it's not a trophy bull, and wasn't ever your intended quarry and the PH shoots first (or the client shoots to protect the PH), I imagine the client would not be expected to pay for/fill his license on that animal.

On the other hand, if it's a nice bull, and the client had an important part in the shooting (as in this case), I imagine the client has the option to claim the animal???

Obviously, in a dangerous situation all of that can be sorted out later...... Protecting the client, observers, trackers, photographers, game scouts, and the PH is of course the ONLY priority.
It would be a really difficult situation on private land in South Africa. If you are on their land hunting for buffalo the landowner will be glad no one was hurt but still want payment, although maybe not full amount depending on trophy. The rest would be between you and outfitter. In concession areas if the government game scout agrees it was self defense there would be a lot of paperwork after the fact but I would not expect to pay a trophy fee. In both cases you’d do what needs done at time and have to work it out later.

What a terrible spot for a charge in the rocks on side of hill. Lucky no one fell. Looks like they had a few seconds to properly prepare at least with the trackers further up on the hill out front. It ended well.

What a terrible spot for a charge in the rocks on side of hill. Lucky no one fell. Looks like they had a few seconds to properly prepare at least with the trackers further up on the hill out front. It ended well.
Exactly what I was thinking. One wrong step and you could end up on your backside. Not the best position for stopping a charge.

South Africa hunt???

Yes, South Africa. The description says they spooked a Bull that was bedded at the spot they intended to glass from.

I suppose Buff don’t bluff!!

Makes me wonder if buffalo in areas which have been depleted of lions see man as their only enemy?
I’m not sure of the real stats or if it’s just the higher likelihood of encounters being disseminated through modem media, but don’t buffalo seem more pissed these days than they used to be?

Son of a biscuit! That was way close!

Congrats to McKenzie and good shooting to all. Just imagine if they had been looking for Kudu in the hills as they are prone to do and came upon these buffalo…Bring enough gun.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WorldwidePiano

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well