Cape Buffalo Charge At Five Yards

skydiver386

AH legend
Joined
Oct 18, 2023
Messages
2,759
Reaction score
11,166
Media
37
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Europe
1
Member of
SCI, NAHC
Hunted
South Africa, Ohio, Florida, Wyoming, Arizona
A close call at very close range. Very rocky, hilly and dry terrain where the PH actually attempted to climb a boulder to get a better shot at this Buff.

 
Intense, for sure! Maybe a DR would have allowed the PH two initial shots before the bull turned away. Difficult to know.

I've always been curious in the case of an unexpected charge. If it's not a trophy bull, and wasn't ever your intended quarry and the PH shoots first (or the client shoots to protect the PH), I imagine the client would not be expected to pay for/fill his license on that animal.

On the other hand, if it's a nice bull, and the client had an important part in the shooting (as in this case), I imagine the client has the option to claim the animal???

Obviously, in a dangerous situation all of that can be sorted out later...... Protecting the client, observers, trackers, photographers, game scouts, and the PH is of course the ONLY priority.
 
Intense, for sure! Maybe a DR would have allowed the PH two initial shots before the bull turned away. Difficult to know.

I've always been curious in the case of an unexpected charge. If it's not a trophy bull, and wasn't ever your intended quarry and the PH shoots first (or the client shoots to protect the PH), I imagine the client would not be expected to pay for/fill his license on that animal.

On the other hand, if it's a nice bull, and the client had an important part in the shooting (as in this case), I imagine the client has the option to claim the animal???

Obviously, in a dangerous situation all of that can be sorted out later...... Protecting the client, observers, trackers, photographers, game scouts, and the PH is of course the ONLY priority.
It would be a really difficult situation on private land in South Africa. If you are on their land hunting for buffalo the landowner will be glad no one was hurt but still want payment, although maybe not full amount depending on trophy. The rest would be between you and outfitter. In concession areas if the government game scout agrees it was self defense there would be a lot of paperwork after the fact but I would not expect to pay a trophy fee. In both cases you’d do what needs done at time and have to work it out later.
 
What a terrible spot for a charge in the rocks on side of hill. Lucky no one fell. Looks like they had a few seconds to properly prepare at least with the trackers further up on the hill out front. It ended well.
 
What a terrible spot for a charge in the rocks on side of hill. Lucky no one fell. Looks like they had a few seconds to properly prepare at least with the trackers further up on the hill out front. It ended well.
Exactly what I was thinking. One wrong step and you could end up on your backside. Not the best position for stopping a charge.
 
South Africa hunt???
 
Yes, South Africa. The description says they spooked a Bull that was bedded at the spot they intended to glass from.
 
I suppose Buff don’t bluff!!

Makes me wonder if buffalo in areas which have been depleted of lions see man as their only enemy?
I’m not sure of the real stats or if it’s just the higher likelihood of encounters being disseminated through modem media, but don’t buffalo seem more pissed these days than they used to be?
 
Pretty intense
 
Son of a biscuit! That was way close!
 
Congrats to McKenzie and good shooting to all. Just imagine if they had been looking for Kudu in the hills as they are prone to do and came upon these buffalo…Bring enough gun.

HH
 
That's far closer than you'd think looking at the terrain. Good shooting and a nice bull to boot.
Bruce
 
I suppose Buff don’t bluff!!

Makes me wonder if buffalo in areas which have been depleted of lions see man as their only enemy?
I’m not sure of the real stats or if it’s just the higher likelihood of encounters being disseminated through modem media, but don’t buffalo seem more pissed these days than they used to be?
This buffalo would not have had lion problems.
 
This buffalo would not have had lion problems.
That's what I'm saying.
Are buff that have never seen a lion inherently more aggressive toward man?
Man being their only real predator?
 
That's what I'm saying.
Are buff that have never seen a lion inherently more aggressive toward man?
Man being their only real predator?
No. Buffalo that have lost some of their fear of man are the most dangerous. I’d argue many buffalo on South African ranches are often more dangerous than buffalo in wild areas due to regular proximity and supplemental feeding and some were also raised in breeding facilities prior to introduction to the hunting properties. I’d also be more cautious hunting buffalo inside villages and areas where buffalo and cattle compete for same water sources in dry season. Buffalo I’ve seen in wild areas run from man at the first sign if they can, especially in areas with poaching pressure, lions or not.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,273
Messages
1,571,258
Members
169,317
Latest member
BrigetteY2
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top