Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
Life Member of SCI, DSC, GSCO, HSC, NRA and FNAWS
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Austria, France, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Turkey, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
The 3:30 alarm was a bit of a shock but I went straight to the shower to wake up. With such an early departure I stayed the night in San Antonio in order to make my 5:30 flight.

It’s a typical Fall day in Texas, in the low 70’s and humid as I made my way through the airport. I am flying United to Vancouver via Denver then Air Canada to Smithers so it will be a long day.

I felt anxious most of the day yesterday which is not normal for me. This being my third attempt for a mature Canadian Moose, the last specie on my quest for the North American 29, I guess I feel that the pressure is on. I keep reminding myself to stay confident, pray and tough it out, regardless of any situation that arises.

It’s been a challenging year for me as my knee is finally finished, bone on bone, so I have been living with chronic pain since last December. My doctor tried stem cell shots back in the Spring but I got very little relief from that. The clock had run out for enough time to have the total knee replacement surgery and rehab by the time for this hunt. So I made the decision to take the moose hunt then have the surgery when I get home.

After extensive research and phone conversations with Jim Peterson of Tahltan Outfitters, I put down my deposit. Jim bought the area from the famous BC Outfitters Fletcher Day who hunted there for over 40 years. The area in Northern British Columbia and has a proven track record for producing moose. I have chosen a horseback hunt to maximize the ability to travel and cover a lot of area. I booked the last hunt starting October third to be sure and have colder weather which from previous experience I learned is imperative to a successful moose hunt. My previous attempts at Canadian Moose have been thwarted by warm weather conditions.

I arrived Vancouver on time and the bags came out quickly so it was off to Customs. The folks were friendly and had me on my way in about twenty minutes. The flight to Smithers was full and I had my doubts about my luggage making the plane but about halfway through both of my bags showed up and I was relieved.

There is no commercial air service, so I rented a truck and will drive 7 hours to Dease Lake in the morning. Fred from the rental service picked me up which made it seamless. Off to the Hudson Bay Lodge Hotel I got checked in and after a very good meal I was down for the night.

Day 2

I woke with daylight, had coffee and did a bit of email work before showering and hitting the road. The weather was overcast and a light rain falling so I took my time and arrived Dease Lake in the late afternoon. The scenery was amazing with the trees all turning colors and snow capped mountains in the background. Dease Lake is a tiny village with one hotel and limited services. I got checked in and settled, then had an early dinner before retiring for the evening. The plan is to report to the floatplane base at noon tomorrow, the weather forecast looks good so I should be in camp by midday.

Day 3

Up again at dawn, I got a solid nights sleep and had breakfast then closed out some work before heading to the floatplane base. When I arrived at BC Yukon Air, they informed me that they are down to one plane and we will be delayed a couple of hours. One thing I’ve grown use to is being patient, especially when hunting North America. So many times there are weather delays, mechanical delays and just delays in general. I kicked back, did a bit of reading and just waited until I got the green light.

The other two hunters sharing camp with me arrived at the floatplane base. Ovi and Fernando from Mexico. Nice fellows, easy going so should be good camp mates.

We finally got airborne just before three and touched down on the lake forty minutes later after flying through a light snow shower. Fernando spotted a bull moose on the approach which is a good sign. I spoke with one of the two outgoing hunters and they had a slow hunt, never saw a moose big enough to shoot, that is somewhat discouraging. Warm weather plagued their hunt, but temperatures have been getting colder so I remain optimistic for a successful hunt.

The guides Wade, Ty and Dom met us at the plane and helped us offload the luggage and supplies. The three of us got our gear settled in one of the cabins then headed over to the cook shack to hang out.
IMG_8627.jpeg

The camp consisted of a main cabin with kitchen and dining plus sleeping quarters for the guides. There was another cabin with two sets of bunk beds for the hunters and a tack shed. Snow continued to fall into the evening and temperatures dropped below freezing at night. Dinner was typical camp food, we wrapped up about nine and I hit the sack.

IMG_8827.jpeg

IMG_8633.jpeg

Day 4

My cabin mates were up and down through the night, I put earplugs in and did my best to sleep. The generator came on at 6:30 so I got out of bed, got dressed and went over to the main cabin for coffee and breakfast. After getting all my gear settled for the day, my guide Dom and I saddle up and hit the trail. My horse “Dragger” is a stout, black horse with a smooth gate, I was thankful. He’s got some Draft blood in him so he’s tall, but I managed the mount and dismount with some help from Dom.

It’s overcast today, which makes glassing a bit difficult but I stayed with it nonetheless. About noon, I spotted a group of five Caribou across the valley feeding alongside the timber. The sun peaked out a few times, which was nice for some warmth. There’s a gentle breeze, I figured the temperatures in the lower to mid 40s.

About 1 o’clock I got hungry so had lunch, which was consistent of most North American Hunts I have been on. A sandwich, some beef sticks, and an orange.

Dom spent the day on the other side of the hill glassing one direction while I glassed the opposite. About 5:30 I spotted a bull across the valley come out of the timber over a mile away. With 10X bino’s I could see glare from antlers but had no idea how big is was. I found Dom and he came over and put his spotting scope on the bull and he said a youngster, barely outside his ears. Dom called a few times and the little bull looked our direction but never came to us.
IMG_8664.jpeg

About an hour later, a cow moose came out from the same direction and disappeared back into the timber.

Around seven we called it a day and rode a half hour back to camp. One of the other hunters missed a nice bull, he winded them on the approach and he had to take a shot at him while moving at about 250 yards.

Jim Peterson the outfitter arrived in camp earlier in the day and we had a good visit. He is moving me and Ovi to another camp about a 4 hour ride from this camp. It has consistently been one of his best areas for moose and has not been hunted since last season. The weather and timing have come off right so far and the moose seem to be more active than the previous week.

I turned in shortly after dinner as I wanted to be rested for the long ride tomorrow.

Day 5

The generator came on at first light. We are headed to his camp on the river. My anxiety is building again, with a cold frosty morning and the thought that no one has been in this camp since last year, so everything should be undisturbed.

The guides were busy saddling horses and getting pack boxes loaded. Ty had prepared French toast and sausage for breakfast so we filled up for the half day ride.

The ride was just short of 4 hours, on a rough overgrown trail. We arrived about 1:40 and started to unload. The cabin was clean and in order, no bears or porcupines had made their way inside.
IMG_8806.jpeg

We got the horses unsaddled, organized our gear and got the kitchen sorted. The wind is howling today so we most likely will not hunt this afternoon. The moose won’t move out of the timber when conditions are such.

I laid down to stretch out after the horse trip and had a nap. Around 6:30 Jim grilled pork chops and with potatoes carrots and beans, a nice meal. We sat around the table talking hunting and Dom went out to brush his teeth. I noticed movement out the window and he was running back to the cabin. I knew what that meant and he said “there’s a big bull in the flat”. I grabbed my rifle and followed him outside and glassed the bull at 720 yards. Dom called a few times and the bull looked our direction but within minutes as the light was fading he disappeared behind a small hill, not to be seen again.

Day 6

I awoke to Ovi stoking the fire. The cabin stayed very warm last night, almost too hot.

Jim had the coffee going as everyone got ready for the day. After a hearty breakfast Dom and Jim got the horses saddled. The wind stopped and it’s a cold, frosty morning, perfect for moose hunting. Dom wants to head the direction we saw the bull last night, hopefully he bedded down in the general area and we can locate him. If unsuccessful we will go to a lookout hill to glass for the day.

Ovi is fired up, he’s a hyper type personality. He started the day with music, Pavarotti which was nice for an early morning. Then his playlist went to Taylor Swift, Country and hip hop. Not all my taste in music but that’s what happens when you are sharing a cabin.

We rode out about 8:15 and got to a high glassing point overlooking a huge valley by 8:50.

It was a slow morning, haven’t seen an animal at all. Just before one, a light snow started to fall so I got my pack and went back into the timber out of the wind to eat lunch. The snow came to a stop about an hour later and I went back out to the ridgeline to glass.

The day carried on without much action. Around four Dom started to cow call every few minutes. At some point a cow responded down the ridge.

Dom grunted like a bull periodically and a few minute later a bull grunted back, not far back up into the timber behind us. We slowly moved towards the direction of the grunts but he went silent and the timber was thick so we never caught a glimpse of him.

Back to the ridge to glass as the day drew to a close. Dom signaled we would head for camp so we saddled up and got back just before seven.
IMG_8720.jpeg

Day 7

Earplugs are always the ticket when sharing a cabin. The crew started to rustle about as sunlight peaked over the horizon. Ovi started the day with Taylor Swift on his phone and me, Dom and Jim all objected 6:30 in the morning was just too early for that!

We finally got him settled down and had coffee in peace. Once there was plenty of light, Dom got the horses ready while Jim cooked breakfast. It’s cold this morning, right at freezing. A fairly clear sky so should be a beautiful day.

After breakfast we got ready to go when Dom spotted a bull off in the same flats as night before last. I got my rifle and we went to set up and Dom started to call. For some reason his horse got spooked and started to whinny and jump about. Jim went to calm the horse but it broke the lead and took off.

Dom continued to call but the bull stayed his course walking. He certainly heard the commotion with the horses and had no interest in the cow call. The last time I could range him he was 697, way beyond the distance I wanted to shoot.

It took the better part of a half hour to gather up the horses and we finally were on the trail after nine.

We went to the same lookout, it’s windy today so I don’t expect to see a lot.

Sometime after one I saw Dom get out his spotting scope and I started glassing and saw movement in the far distance.

About two miles away I finally made out a moose and when the sun hit it, I could see horns.

About a half hour later Dom came over and said “there’s a big bull over a mile and a half out in that yellow grass, let’s take the ponies and see if we can get on him”. After a 25 minute ride, we tied the horses and walked the last 500 meters to the location he was last seen. Dom called off and on but we never saw the bull. He must have been traveling through the area. We stayed until a little after six, calling periodically but no reply.

It took about forty five minutes to get back to camp, Jim and Ovi already there. They saw two bulls today along the river but nothing he wanted to shoot.

After a hearty supper we visited for a while then turned in about nine. The wind has stopped and hopefully we have a cold night.

Day 8

Jim got up at some point and started a fire and put on the coffee. The cabin started to come to life about 6:30. I stayed in the bag for a while saying my prayers then rolled out a little after seven. Eggs, bacon and hash browns are the staple and a good way to start the day. It seems to be the coldest morning yet, a hard frost and below freezing.

Today I’m on a horse named Tuya. We rode to the same lookout and got to our spot a little after nine. It’s 30 degrees and no wind. Dom started to call and within minutes a small bull appeared across the valley about a mile away. He perked his ears to the call and started making his way towards us. It took him the better part of 45 minutes to get there, but he came to the bluff below us.
IMG_8780.jpeg

A light snow started to fall around ten and was coming straight down so I knew we would be socked in for a while. Around eleven I got up to stretch and saw smoke so made my way over. Dom had started a fire to keep warm while we waited out the snow. It has cut visibility down significantly so we had lunch and talked a bit.

The snowfall started to lighten up a bit and Dom went back to the ridge. I heard him start to call so I made my way over to my spot as I knew if he was calling he had probably seen a bull. He pointed up the valley and said “big bull”. He started to pack up his things and I knew we were going after him.

Dom grabbed my rifle while I got my pack on and made way to my horse. We took off and got to the general area about a half hour later but the moose was nowhere to be found. We rode on a bit and set up on the edge of a small, swampy opening in the willows. The snow continued to fall and got a little heavier just before it quit.

Dom called for the better part of an hour, off and on with no response. I sat down as my knees were aching and listened intently every time he called but no bull responded.
IMG_8737.jpeg

Suddenly, Dom ducked down and said “big bull right here, shoot him”.

I chambered a round in my 300 RUM and tried to get up but struggled in the willows. When I finally got on my feet the bull was 40 yards quartering towards us, looking for the cow. There was so much willow brush I could not get a clear shot as the brush was over head high.
IMG_8770.jpeg

I tried moving to the left to get clear and just as I did, the bull started to turn and trot. I raised my rifle and took the shot and dropped him in his tracks. I hit him in the spine, so quickly made way toward him for a finisher and as he tried to get to his feet. I raised my rifle to shoot and fell over and as I was going down the bull fell over as well, He never got up again.

Once back on my feet, I finally got close enough to put the final shot in him and it was over. My quest for the North American 29 was completed with the Canadian Moose at 40 yards!
IMG_8753.jpeg

Dom came forward and we shook hands as he congratulated me. The emotions ran high as this was my third attempt for a Canadian Moose and I could not believe it had become reality.

Dom validated the tag and we shared a few shots of whiskey from my flask, toasted to the bull and took some photos. We got to work skinning and quartering the bull and got wrapped up a little before four. We had an hour plus ride back to camp and I relished in the scenery and thought back to the many great hunts it took to complete the 29. When we reached camp, I was beat, my knees aching.

After getting the horses settled I cracked the bottle of Pendleton to celebrate and relive the hunt. The post hunt conversation is alway so enjoyable, has made for some of my best memories. We laughed at the pitfalls, cheered the success and had a grand time.

Jim and Ovi showed up an hour later and we all enjoyed fellowship and celebrating the hunt. Jim put dinner on while Dom gathered the horses for the night. A day that will live long in my memory, the apex of a life long goal has been reached.

Day 9

I had a rough night, my knees hurting and keeping me awake.

Jim put the coffee on about 6:30 and I rolled out of bed and poured a cup. After a big breakfast, Dom, Jim and Ovi headed out to go retrieve my moose and then Jim and Ovi will hunt that area the balance of the day.

It was about 9:30, just as I started to do the dishes from breakfast when I heard a shot, then another and another. Less than five minutes out of camp and Ovi shot his bull.

They got back to camp with the bull about 11:30, unloaded and took off to retrieve my bull. A beautiful big bull, close to 60” wide!

Ovi and I hung out and talked hunting for the afternoon while Jim and Dom retrieved my bull. They got back about three and started caping the heads. That’s quite a lengthy process and they spent the balance of the day working on them.

Day 10

I woke to the smell of coffee and the sounds of Taylor Swift coming from Ovi’s phone. I rolled out of bed just before eight and had a cup of coffee with the rest of the crew. Conversations went from hunting to politics and it seemed we were all on the same page.

Jim always makes a hearty breakfast. Today he made omelets, bacon and fried potatoes, excellent. It’s little warmer this morning, overcast and cool in the high 30’s.

We spent the day tending to the capes and relaxing. The plan is to head back to base camp tomorrow after breakfast. It’s a four hour ride but luckily I’ve had an easy two days for my knees to recover.

IMG_8800.jpeg

Day 11

I had a good nights sleep, the two days rest did wonders and I feel ready for the ride out. I’ve been thinking about my knee replacement surgery at the end of the month and the time it will take to recover. I feel blessed to have finished the 29 with my “original equipment”, but my condition certainly posed limitations on me.

Jim made a big bacon, egg and hash brown breakfast so we had plenty of fuel for the trip.

It took a couple of hours to load the pack boxes and close up the camp. We were on the trail a little before eleven so baring anything unusual we should be at the base camp by three.

IMG_8815.jpeg

The majority of the area is swampy and boggy. Ty told me when I left last week if my horse gets completely bogged down, hop off and let him get out.

Well, about halfway back it happened as we crossed a wet area. My horse Goober, a stout chestnut gelding with a lot of Draft in him got stuck. As he kicked and bucked trying to get out, I lost the stirrups. Not being an advanced horseman, plus having stiff, arthritic knees I tried to dismount but couldn’t. Suddenly, he lunged and crow hopped so I held onto the saddle horn and out we came. Dom rode up next to me and said “way to ride it out”, I said “that’s the closest I’ll ever get to saddle bronc riding”.
IMG_8817.jpeg

IMG_8820.jpeg

Back in camp we learned that Fernando has been struggling and not yet successful. Ty and Wade congratulated us on our bulls and we shared our stories of the hunt over a spaghetti dinner.

Since we are the last hunt, Jim was busy organizing the exit and he has a plane coming in tomorrow with some supplies and a wrangler to help ride out the horses. I told Jim I would gladly go out early and take the capes and horns to the taxidermist in Smithers.

I was beat from the ride and hit the sack just after eight. I didn’t think I would fall right to sleep, but wanted to get flat in the sleeping bag. I can’t remember laying down!

Day 12

I woke to noise in the cabin, then the generator came on. I got dressed and went over to the cook shack. This is the last hunting day for Ovi and Fernando. Ovi in search of Caribou and Fernando either Moose or Caribou.

Jim told me the plan would be in around one so when the hunters headed out I packed my bags and got organized. I heard the familiar sound of the Beaver about 12:40 as he circled the lake and came in for a landing.
IMG_8830.jpeg

We got it unloaded, then loaded again and headed to Dease Lake. Once at the floatplane base, I got my pickup and loaded my gear, the hides and horns and was on the road by two.

It rained most of the way back and I noticed how the snow on the mountains had increased significantly since coming through ten days ago.

I rolled into Smithers just before nine and got checked in to the hotel and went to the bar for a drink and burger. Back to the room for a much needed shower I was in bed by ten and almost immediately fell asleep.

Day 13

It’s Thanksgiving Holiday weekend in Canada and I got up and went to Mass. It’s a beautiful Fall day and my mind went fast forward to Thanksgiving in the States next month. I have lived an amazing life and give GOD thanks constantly for my many blessings.

I met the taxidermist after church then back to the hotel to make calls to my wife and kids to catch up with all of them.

My flight out of Smithers is shortly after ten in the morning and if all goes well I will be back in San Antonio at midnight.

In retrospect, I enjoyed my two previous hunts for Canadian Moose, even though unsuccessful. Having completed my quest for the North American 29 on a traditional Western hunt by horseback in a very remote hunting area just seemed to be an appropriate ending.

I’ll never forget this place, the people and the experiences I had, I count them all as blessings. GOD IS GREAT!

Congrats, MI Amigo! So happy for you.

Pura Vida

Very happy for you John Ed, quite an accomplishment! A hard hunt, that moose was earned.

Reading your report, I thought, three different hotels just to get there, it’s already an adventure.

Day 12

I woke to noise in the cabin, then the generator came on. I got dressed and went over to the cook shack. This is the last hunting day for Ovi and Fernando. Ovi in search of Caribou and Fernando either Moose or Caribou.

Jim told me the plan would be in around one so when the hunters headed out I packed my bags and got organized. I heard the familiar sound of the Beaver about 12:40 as he circled the lake and came in for a landing.
View attachment 641463
We got it unloaded, then loaded again and headed to Dease Lake. Once at the floatplane base, I got my pickup and loaded my gear, the hides and horns and was on the road by two.

It rained most of the way back and I noticed how the snow on the mountains had increased significantly since coming through ten days ago.

I rolled into Smithers just before nine and got checked in to the hotel and went to the bar for a drink and burger. Back to the room for a much needed shower I was in bed by ten and almost immediately fell asleep.

Day 13

It’s Thanksgiving Holiday weekend in Canada and I got up and went to Mass. It’s a beautiful Fall day and my mind went fast forward to Thanksgiving in the States next month. I have lived an amazing life and give GOD thanks constantly for my many blessings.

I met the taxidermist after church then back to the hotel to make calls to my wife and kids to catch up with all of them.

My flight out of Smithers is shortly after ten in the morning and if all goes well I will be back in San Antonio at midnight.

In retrospect, I enjoyed my two previous hunts for Canadian Moose, even though unsuccessful. Having completed my quest for the North American 29 on a traditional Western hunt by horseback in a very remote hunting area just seemed to be an appropriate ending.

I’ll never forget this place, the people and the experiences I had, I count them all as blessings. GOD IS GREAT!
Simply outstanding and congratulations!!!! You are now in an extremely exclusive club well done!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoniqueBal

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia