Can someone help me put an approximate value on my Belgium Browning .338 mag.

Brian

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi,

Please help, I am trying to put a price on a 338 WM Browning Safari that I want to sell.
It it is made in Belgium and looks new, like it just came out of the box at the gun store.
It has never been fired.
I appreciate any help that I can get on pricing it fairly.
I can send photos.

Thanks very much for your help,

Brian Gallup

Hello Brian. They are really fine guns. It likely isn't a salt gun based on the condition you stated. Retail asking prices for mint to as-new guns are around the $2500 mark (maybe +$150-200 on the upside for people who understand their value). For what they are and compared to what the Belgium-made OUs are bringing, the price should be higher. But it seems the real escalation in Browning prices track to the higher-grade guns or rare calibers in Safaris. Art's Gun Shop has a longstanding reputation for being a Browning expert, specializing in salt gun restorations among other gunsmithing services. He also sells Belgium Brownings and may be of help. He hails out of Missouri. (636) 944-3630.

If you don't mind, post the serial number. That will determine if it's a salt era gun or not. If it is salt era, any damage is often not visible unless you take the stock off or pull a screw from the pad.

What is a salt-era gun? I’ve never heard the phrase before. Thank you

From approximately 1966 to 1974, the wood used in Browning stocks, forearms, etc. had leached salt into it while growing. When you put the metal action against the wood and add humidity, it causes rust on the action, buttplate screws, etc. Often not noticeable unless the action is pulled. In an area with low humidity the problem might not manifest itself until it's taken to a humid area. The salt era guns are less desirable.

Actually, Browning used a salt drying process to speed up drying time of the walnut stocks they used to increase production. I think it was used to fast dry furniture wood.

Unfortunately, it ruined a generation of fine shooting rifles and shotguns. I had a 300 WM Safari from ‘71. Shot lights out. Had the stock replaced around 2008 and found some minor pitting. Degree of damage varies. Buyer beware between ‘67 up to early ‘71 models of Brownings.

Steve

They used salt in between sock blanks to cure the wood faster than the usual kiln drying method of stock cure. The salt was absorbed by the wood and interacted with the metal and essentially caused rust. Salt can be tested with silver nitrate. A simpler way beyond checking the serial number against the affected salt era years is to carefully remove a butt plate screw. If it comes out rusty, you've got a salt gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jl5156

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?