Can Someone Help Me Judge The Size Of This Croc

Obi Wan Kenobi

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Saskatchewan, Argentina
Hey guys and gals. I'm sitting here in Zambia on the Luangwa river been here since 6-17 fantastic start to the week so far. Ill have more on that later. But can any of you croc experts give me any idea how big this croc is? I just took these photos 5 minutes ago. He's 55 yards away from me. The tail is curled in a little. If you can't I understand. We're on break here and we'll be going back out in a couple hours. I spotted this guy near camp, my ph is checking out leopard bait right now.

Thanks
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough call with nothing around to reference off of. If you can estimate the height of the bank and use that as a reference, you might be able to get a good estimate. Say if the bank height is 3 feet, then the croc looks about twice as long or a bit more. So at least 6 ft and perhaps 7 to 8 max. If the bank height is only two feet, then small croc.

1719141740870.png

Tough call with nothing around to reference off of. If you can estimate the height of the bank and use that as a reference, you might be able to get a good estimate. Say if the bank height is 3 feet, then the croc looks about twice as long or a bit more. So at least 6 ft and perhaps 7 to 8 max. If the bank height is only two feet, then small croc.

View attachment 615569
That bank is about 4 feet

Based on what frame of reference?
I'm six feet tall l was in that sandbank a few days ago so I'm roughly guessing 3-4 feet.

And he just showed back up again. Looking at it again if l stood in the water where he is now it might be 5 feet

IMG_20240623_141438706~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the bank is 4’, using bracketing method croc is 10ish, maybe a touch more.

I was guessing about 10 to 12, based solely on tail in relation to body. Really big crocs have bigger bodies , so I could be off by a little

I was guessing about 10 to 12, based solely on tail in relation to body. Really big crocs have bigger bodies , so I could be off by a little

My guess is in this ballpark too. Agree on the body size, seem a little small. His head while not something I'd stick mine doesn't appear to be an easy fit for my shoulders like I see on others that are much bigger.

Subsequent to correction from a PH who would know better than I, I'd probably be leaning towards passing on this one.

Pictures alone are not easy.

This is a female.
10 to max 11 ft.

From nostril to eye in inches converted to feet will give you the size.
Or measure the imprint/track of the hind foot in inches and convert to feet to get the size of croc in feet.....

I'm six feet tall l was in that sandbank a few days ago so I'm roughly guessing 3-4 feet.

And he just showed back up again. Looking at it again if l stood in the water where he is now it might be 5 feet
She...

Go back and measure the back foot imprint....in loose sand you may want to deduct 1 to 2 inches....

10' maybe a little more. Not your "OMG big croc".

Hey guys and gals. I'm sitting here in Zambia on the Luangwa river been here since 6-17 fantastic start to the week so far. Ill have more on that later. But can any of you croc experts give me any idea how big this croc is? I just took these photos 5 minutes ago. He's 55 yards away from me. The tail is curled in a little. If you can't I understand. We're on break here and we'll be going back out in a couple hours. I spotted this guy near camp, my ph is checking out leopard bait right now.

Thanks
View attachment 615541View attachment 615556
9-10’ would be my estimate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeulahLomb

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?