Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Red

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Green

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Drop rifle and run

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hippo is likely still in warning mode by popping jaws and not at full charge yet. If he comes, he will straighten out and drop his head, presenting a better brain shot angle. I’m going to hold my shot for a just a moment.
I trust Scott’s judgement greatly!!!

Green. If I’m hunting hippo on land, I’m using at least a .416, preferably a .458 Lott or DB .470 or .500. Solids would be my bullet choice.

I would of thought a charging hippo would have its head LOWER to the ground, with the animal only raising its head when it believes its about to make contact with its target and by raised head I mean jaw opening as wide as the animal can open it creating that "bull dozer bucket" appearance.

Green
My 470 double rifle and he is getting both barrels in rapid succession. I would be loaded with CEB 500 grain solids if I had my choice, but at that range I suspect 500 grains of swift A frame or anything else is going to get it done.

I'm a student of the theory to wait until there is no possible way to miss. Then, and only then, fire one shot into the brain. I'm also a realist, and wonder if I could really hold fire and stand there until he's that close. With a double, I'd certainly save the last one for inside of 5 yards. From the photo, I'd be somewhere red/green, probably closer to green. Missing high does you no good. Missing low might still work. The upper spinal cord and skull base are just as good as a regular brain shot. Head down would be easier.

They can move incredibly fast, and working a bolt under stress can cause certain complications. Right now, I'd probably have a CZ550 .416 Rigby in my hands, loaded with 400gr solids, either Barnes or CEBs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChauChambe

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?