Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Red

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Green

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Drop rifle and run

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
One question, are we hunting hippo or just get caught between the hippo and where he wants to be? So we might get caught with a pea shooter.

Red, or I am waiting for him to drop his head. 20 yards is still fairly far out for a charge. I am guessing red breaks the neck/spine. Either way I think it is enough damage to slow him up quite a bit.

Green if hit as he is now would work, but that head is going to swing, at 20 yards seems like a more likely miss or not fatal hit.

Green first shot. Second just keep shooting since I carry an R8 I will be able to get 4+1 in him on the 20 yd charge. I won’t be trampled with bullets still in the gun. (Just kidding) nothing more scary then being on a hippo trail in the reeds at first or last light.

I'd use my 470 but any double 450 ne or bigger. I said red but meant green. Although in reality most hippo charges the hippos head is down. I'd honestly like to think I'd wait for that shot. Never been involved in a hippo charge so just speculation on my end.

Probably somwere between red and green and then empty my ZKK600 in 9,3x64 Brenneke with total of 4 handloaded Peregrine 293 grains/19 grams solid FP (mixture of bronze and pure copper) in his face. Trying between eyes most of the time.

Blue with .577NE or Orange with .500NE.

IMG_6345.jpeg

I’m going with green. A krieghoff .500/.416 simply because that’s what I carry these days.

Hippo skulls are a lot thinner than say an elephant and a good head shot near the brain with just about any center fire rifle is going to stop a charge. Get too far away from the brain and you are in for bad times.

green model 70 winchester 416 remington mag. 400gr bear claw folowed by hornady solids

CZ 416 Rigby, 400 grain Barnes TSX

Green dot but I would probably be waiting for him to drop his head or at least square up to me to make the problem easier. I would be carrying a 458 Lott with 450 grain CEB flat nosed solids @ 2250fps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShalandaTu

Latest profile posts

Got Apparel started out with just a small line of brands in 2007 and today, we’ve become one of the largest online wholesale clothing stores you’ll find. We stock some of the greatest brands including Adidas, Gildan, Port Authority and Hanes.
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?