AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Ok he is pissed and coming for you.

20 yards and has picked you to chew on.

Which dot

Also call your rifle action, caliber and bullet choice.
IMG_5067.jpeg

505 Gibbs - Red

Green. Blaser S2 500/416NE with 400 grain CEB Safari Raptors.

Tough shot with him moving around and trying to hit a brain the size of a grapefruit.

Last edited:
Green

I mostly use a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, loaded with 300Gr solids. But I’ve also shot one with a .404 Jeffery and one with a .600 Nitro Express.
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_1535.jpeg
IMG_1376.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_1534.jpeg

In recent years, I’ve taken to replacing the solids with Barnes TSX monolithic all-copper hollow points. So far, they’re serving me well. I still load two solids into the bottom of the magazine for the last two shots (sort of as an insurance) but in the near future, I just might end up loading the entire magazine with Barnes TSX.
IMG_1524.jpeg

Red, 500NE with Norma Factory rounds loaded with Woodleigh FMJ's

I do not like that head angle, but if I had to- top green. I'd be using whatever rifle the PH rented me :LOL:

Green dot for me. I’d be using my 404 Jeffery with 400 grain, flat nosed Barnes solids. This combo made short work of a big bull hippo last year. Great penetration with this set up. Here is a recovered bullet from the bull. Granted, the bull wasn’t charging.
IMG_5506.jpeg
IMG_5715.jpeg

Green first shot Red with #2
Red would brake posterior ramus of jaw
Green maybe brain
But realistically at 20yd full charge getting 10,000fpe in the head may be the best u can do

.470NE with 500 grain Swift A-frame or Hornady DGX Bonded

Honestly I will wait a bit, hippo's when charging lower their head and it does not move up and down a lot...

From what I have, I will use my 458 Express with a 500gr Rhino/Peregrine solid. If anything else, would love to take a hippo with a 500NE.

Last edited:
Red would very likely break his neck and stop him. Green would work too, but is a much tougher shot from that angle. If the neck or brain is hit, caliber wouldn’t matter much, as long as it offers the penetration needed to reach those targets. But, in that scenario, I’d want a 458 or larger, just for my own peace of mind.

Looks like a prone position. That makes it difficult. If standing would go for the brain shot. Have shot with a 470 when hunting lion. That was not too bad regarding recoil.

If lying in the prone position I would like a bolt action with a much as ammo that the rifle would hold and aim for blue and red. Minimum 375

CZ 416 Rigby, iron sights or 1X scope, 400 grain Barnes TSX. If straight on, I would fire into the center of mouth to break the spine, but if only this photo angle for the shot, why not blue? Body shot to slow or turn, 2nd shot to the head/brain?

Green dot, Bolt action, 458WM, Barnes 500 grain Flat Nose Solid.

If the hippo is DRT, Drop rifle, as many rounds as I can get off: Blue dot at shoulders, Single Action BFR 44 mag revolver, 250 grain (?) Leighigh Penetrator(?) Solids.

In the face green or red , I only have a pea popper 375Ruger and tungsten core grand slams, hopefully the PH is putting some lead in the beast too with something substantial

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceRo

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?