Caliber for springbok

Hauling ass is the norm on the Great Karoo. If we could get them to stop at 300 m, we were lucky. Used 6.5x47, 6.5-284, 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, .45 SML and a 17 Fireball. They all worked.

7x57mm Mauser
or
.270 Winchester
or
.243 Winchester

Everyone else said out of business no plans to regroup. LOL like many other businesses during covid. Lightning strikes on every continent...

Even when they were operating at full capacity I could not deal with the unavailability of bullets for long periods of time, so more than suitable American alternatives were decided upon in favor. Swift nosler Hornady Berger depending upon application. That said I have several boxes of woodleigh bullets... Deciding between selling them online for $250 a piece or just using them LOL

Hauling ass is the norm on the Great Karoo. If we could get them to stop at 300 m, we were lucky. Used 6.5x47, 6.5-284, 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, .45 SML and a 17 Fireball. They all worked.
6.5-300 Wby

I am looking at converting my 243 Win original ZKK 601 to a more appropriate caliber for the task at hand. The 243 wastes too much meat and is too wind sensitive....being short actioned I am considering re barreling to 260 Rem with a 26 inch barrel and a 1 in 7.8 twist Walther Lothar barrel....
6.5x55 is great but too long for the action....
Target velocity is 2750 fps with a 140gr bullet
Yep, something along the lines of one of the 6.5s like the 260 Rem up to 7-08 would work well. I found with the 260 Rem standard chamber and throat, the 140 grain bullets, seated correctly just off the lands, impinge too far into the body… IMO. Specifying a slightly longer free bore will allow for more correct seating where the bullet’s base is nearer the junction of the neck and body. Just have to make sure magazine length allows for the slightly longer cartridge OAL. I think the crudmore resolves that issue somewhat by shortening the case length a tad at the expense of slightly less powder capacity than the 260.

I might be reading too much into your original post and your avatar picture but, I think you need something other than a 7mm. A 6.5 or slow .30 shooting copper bullets seem like good ideas. A lot of the youtube guys I watch hunt duiker with .375s loaded with solids. Maybe that's a good plan for taking springbuck. If it were me, I'd take anything other than the 7mm.

Yep, something along the lines of one of the 6.5s like the 260 Rem up to 7-08 would work well. I found with the 260 Rem standard chamber and throat, the 140 grain bullets, seated correctly just off the lands, impinge too far into the body… IMO. Specifying a slightly longer free bore will allow for more correct seating where the bullet’s base is nearer the junction of the neck and body. Just have to make sure magazine length allows for the slightly longer cartridge OAL. I think the crudmore resolves that issue somewhat by shortening the case length a tad at the expense of slightly less powder capacity than the 260.
Brno ZKK wont have that issue

Brno ZKK wont have that issue
Just make sure the 260 chamber reamer has a long enough throat/freebore, for a 140 gr bullet so that the ogive of the bullet isn't jammmed into the lands when chambered with the bullet seated to the proper depth... which is, IMO, where the base of the bullet is close to the junction of neck and case body.

From the Aussie press:
Owner said it would be at least 12 months before he would be able to restart the business, although at this stage he is still a long way from making a decision about whether he’ll restart at all.

The business was not insured, and Geoff told Straight Shooting that no insurance agencies had wanted to take it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonsoX88

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's