Building a 404 J

Matt Roberts, Dennis Olson (I have a complete 416 rigby by Dennis on a gma action and it’s amazing), Reto buehler is a top guy for sure in the US, Griffin howe can do it but it would be the most expensive with less for your money. If it were me I’d use reto and pay the money, that guy is amazing—-but none of the above will do it for less than 15k at minimum, and you’ll wait at least a year and half or more but the end product will be worth it. At 8-15k buy a factory Heym, Dakota. Keep an eye out for one someone else splurged on and is now on the used market….best way to buy that sort of thing.

Matt Roberts, Dennis Olson (I have a complete 416 rigby by Dennis on a gma action and it’s amazing), Reto buehler is a top guy for sure in the US, Griffin howe can do it but it would be the most expensive with less for your money. If it were me I’d use reto and pay the money, that guy is amazing—-but none of the above will do it for less than 15k at minimum, and you’ll wait at least a year and half or more but the end product will be worth it. At 8-15k buy a factory Heym, Dakota. Keep an eye out for one someone else splurged on and is now on the used market….best way to buy that sort of thing.
Thanks. With current exchange rate all in a new Rigby in 404J is $15,214

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.01 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.01 PM Large.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.02 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.02 PM Large.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 41
Thanks. With current exchange rate all in a new Rigby in 404J is $15,214
You could buy the Rigby in 404J for $16K (assuming some add-ons to raise the price a bit), keep it for 10 years to shoot and enjoy it. Then sell it for more than $20K. Mostly because it's a Rigby, but also because it's a 404J.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.11 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.11 PM Large.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.12 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.12 PM Large.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.13 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.13.13 PM Large.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 42
You could buy the Rigby in 404J for $16K (assuming some add-ons to raise the price a bit), keep it for 10 years to shoot and enjoy it. Then sell it for more than $20K. Mostly because it's a Rigby, but also because it's a 404J.
Completely agree!!!

I have an AHR 404 Jeff in grade 3 on a cz action absolute killing machine I might be willing to let go.
I fell victim to a bout of day drinking at SCI and Chris Sells caught me in his web…

HH

I have an AHR 404 Jeff in grade 3 on a cz action absolute killing machine I might be willing to let go.
I fell victim to a bout of day drinking at SCI and Chris Sells caught me in his web…

HH
How many rounds can your magazine hold comfortably and just cycle from the magazine only.
Krish

Not in my price range
Screenshot_20230908_073519_OneDrive.jpg

I've purchased two 404s, both Win 70s. One built by Tipton Burns of Texas and the other by P.O.Ackley. But if I were to build one toeay I'd see if the Win 70 Action that was advertised on the site by @Angelo_orygun is still available. it had been opened up for a 404 so needed no further modification. I'd see if Lilja makes 423" barrels, if so, get it, then order a McMillan stock and find a good gunsmith to assemble it.

I find this thread very interesting. The amount of money that we put into a rifle today is unreal. It looks like most of the builds are going to be in excess of $10,000.00. No one seems to mention the fact that on top of the build how much is going to be spent on a scope and mounts, $3,000.00?

The original standard grade Jefferies in 1951 was 51 pounds. I am not sure what that is worth today.

I've purchased two 404s, both Win 70s. One built by Tipton Burns of Texas and the other by P.O.Ackley. But if I were to build one toeay I'd see if the Win 70 Action that was advertised on the site by @Angelo_orygun is still available. it had been opened up for a 404 so needed no further modification. I'd see if Lilja makes 423" barrels, if so, get it, then order a McMillan stock and find a good gunsmith to assemble it.
Lija does make 404 Jeffery barrels. They made this one in July. They do not thread or ream the barrels and standard length is 28". Dennis Olsen is just down the road from Lija and he threaded, reamed, cut, crowned, mounted, and set the head space.
20230718_174300.jpg

I find this thread very interesting. The amount of money that we put into a rifle today is unreal. It looks like most of the builds are going to be in excess of $10,000.00. No one seems to mention the fact that on top of the build how much is going to be spent on a scope and mounts, $3,000.00?

The original standard grade Jefferies in 1951 was 51 pounds. I am not sure what that is worth today.
Mr. Google says 51 pounds in 1951 would be about 2200 pounds today..

Matt Roberts, Dennis Olson (I have a complete 416 rigby by Dennis on a gma action and it’s amazing), Reto buehler is a top guy for sure in the US, Griffin howe can do it but it would be the most expensive with less for your money. If it were me I’d use reto and pay the money, that guy is amazing—-but none of the above will do it for less than 15k at minimum, and you’ll wait at least a year and half or more but the end product will be worth it. At 8-15k buy a factory Heym, Dakota. Keep an eye out for one someone else splurged on and is now on the used market….best way to buy that sort of through

Buy a donor rifle for $1.5 to 2k or there abouts. Buy a barrel and other pieces/parts for $1k to $1.5k. Ship it all to Dennis Olson. He'll charge $2k or less. You can get a 404J for around $5k. You certainly don't need to spend $10-15K or more to have a good, working rifle.

Buy a donor rifle for $1.5 to 2k or there abouts. Buy a barrel and other pieces/parts for $1k to $1.5k. Ship it all to Dennis Olson. He'll charge $2k or less. You can get a 404J for around $5k. You certainly don't need to spend $10-15K or more to have a good, working rifle.
Buying the barrel and having it mounted by Dennis is $1K alone. That's what it cost me anyway. A really nice piece of wood can run up to $750 semifinished. Then it has to be finished and checkered, etc. I think you missed that part.

From what I'm seeing in the ads, it would seem buying a donor rifle is the way to go. You can often buy a used rifle a lot cheaper than a new action. Who cares what the used rifle looks like if it's going to be be remade and reblued?

I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense to invest $10-15K in a new rifle the airlines can lose. My guns are tools. I hunt hard and they show it. I try to keep them looking nice but I also don't want to have to worry about scratching one and losing $5K resale value. I will probably always be able to get back what I have put into my Mauser 98 build if I take reasonable care of it. And that's largely due to the 404 caliber choice. If I'd built it into a 30-06 instead, I'd be lucky to resell it in pristine condition for $600.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanKeighl

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]