Buffalo Question…

If you ask me, I’d naturally go with the Niassa special reserve. In my opinion (and many others) the Rolls Royce of buff hunting in Africa.
We only hunt solitary bulls (1-3 animals) no hunting from herds.

Same as our Greater Kruger area we aim to hunt bulls of 12 years and older.

with that said, there are many good areas in Africa. Personally I’m not a Delta fan, for one the proper Dugga boys you just don’t find, secondly I prefer the old school track hunting.

these are merely opinions born from experience but there is no doubt that each area has its +’s and -‘s.

physical condition (the hunter’s) budget, and available time frame all influence decisions and each particular area.

My best.

I’ve been on buffalo hunts in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Tanzania several times. All were good. However, the best overall trophy quality I saw was last June in Botswana while hunting only elephant. The buffalo quota was all sold out. It’s expensive but some of the best genetics I’ve witnessed.

I’ve been on buffalo hunts in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Tanzania several times. All were good. However, the best overall trophy quality I saw was last June in Botswana while hunting only elephant. The buffalo quota was all sold out. It’s expensive but some of the best genetics I’ve witnessed.

Botswana is very good. I’ve only taken one buffalo there but it was a good one. However, the last time I checked it was about twice the price of Zim.

Yeah, 100% different. Your "wild" buff stand and look at you for 10 minutes, but that probably suits you better.

Oxymoron? Tell that to our tracker that almost got killed by a wounded Buff a month ago.

@Tanks specializes in making ignorant statements.... He can't help himself...

@Tanks specializes in making ignorant statements.... He can't help himself...
@Tanks does go on some incredible hunts, in real wild areas. And he does them his way, not the easy way.

Having hunted cape buffalo in South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Tanzania.... I've definitely got a preference to hunt them in the unfenced wild. I agree they can be dangerous anywhere, but the adventure and the memory of the hunt are important. Go where you want and hunt the way you want.... My big problem is when the truth of the situation gets tossed around carelessly, knowingly or not. And some clients just choose to remain unknowing;)

@Tanks does go on some incredible hunts, in real wild areas. And he does them his way, not the easy way.

Having hunted cape buffalo in South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Tanzania.... I've definitely got a preference to hunt them in the unfenced wild. I agree they can be dangerous anywhere, but the adventure and the memory of the hunt are important. Go where you want and hunt the way you want.... My big problem is when the truth of the situation gets tossed around carelessly, knowingly or not. And some clients just choose to remain unknowing;)
Well said

Back in 2014 a couple of days after my Buffalo was safely in the salt we were stalking an nyala and bumped into a young male lion at about 20 yards, he put on quite a show growling and tail thrashing before departing the area. This could have gotten dangerous fast instead of just being a pretty good story! Point is any hunt can turn dangerous.

I am not sure where you are looking but most hunts I have looked at between the two countries have been more affordable in zimbabwe. Though as we all know prices vary depending on where you are looking.
?? Is it possible you mixed up country names? Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique, Namibia, S. Africa, Zimbabwe in order of decreasing price.

I hesitate to add anything to this spirited discussion, since I've only hunted Africa twice, both times for buffalo and plains game. The first time was in South Africa, the second time in the Kazuma/Pandamasuie area in Zimbabwe. Both buffalo hunts were wonderful. The harder of the two was actually in SA; we walked and tracked herds for 6 days before we found the opportunity we wanted on an old bull. The animals were skittish, elusive, and difficult to approach. Saw lots of plains game on that hun as well. Yes, it was a fenced area. It was also a great hunt. The hunt on the huge, unfenced area of Zimbabwe was also wonderful. We got lucky and got a solitary old bull buffalo on the second day, but the constant presence of lions, elephants, and other mega-fauna made the trip memorable in a different way. I'd gladly repeat either experience, and I hope to be able to do so (perhaps both experiences) in the future. The point is this: in the right area (fenced or unfenced), with the right PH, any buffalo hunt can be a true, hard, DG hunt. A lot depends on the experience you want and the price you want to pay.

Zimbabwe and South Africa are in close competion for most economic price Some south african offers are lower the Zims. Also, buffalo cows on best prices are from south Africa.
(I am closely following this for years)

?? Is it possible you mixed up country names? Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique, Namibia, S. Africa, Zimbabwe in order of decreasing price.
Based on advertisements and conversations I would put Zambia and S. Africa being less expensive than Zimbabwe. Not sure about Mozambique or Namibia.

Though, I guess one can always find a deal anywhere and pay really expensive prices at other times.

Last edited:
Mozambique was very affordable, I spent about 20 grand in 2014 and priced the same hunt and same animals a couple of weeks ago and it was pushing 30 grand.

No, I did not. I have personally found Zimbabwe to be a cheaper option than Mozambique in most cases personally. unless I am misunderstanding your statement. I also only look at open areas only (no fences) your personal experience may be different but that is what I have always seen.

Tanks goes out of his way every chance he gets to slight, misrepresent, and belittle RSA hunting opportunities. That is a fact, and there are scores of posts all over this forum to confirm that...

Regardless of where he has hunted or what his competence level is, he diminishes his credibility when he makes these unfounded generalizations.. There are many outfitters represented here who are too professional and courteous to call him out on his bullshit.. Thankfully, I don't have that burden or obligation.

He should stick to commenting on where he has hunted personally and what he knows to be fact based on his own personal experiences instead of making a point to go out of his way at every opportunity to spew unfair and insulting generalizations. If he does that, he will get no more grief from me, but it seems to be impossible for him to do so for some unknown reason.

Tanks goes out of his way every chance he gets to slight, misrepresent, and belittle RSA hunting opportunities. That is a fact, and there are scores of posts all over this forum to confirm that...

Regardless of where he has hunted or what his competence level is, he diminishes his credibility when he makes these unfounded generalizations.. There are many outfitters represented here who are too professional and courteous to call him out on his bullshit.. Thankfully, I don't have that burden or obligation.

He should stick to commenting on where he has hunted personally and what he knows to be fact based on his own personal experiences instead of making a point to go out of his way at every opportunity to spew unfair and insulting generalizations. If he does that, he will get no more grief from me, but it seems to be impossible for him to do so for some unknown reason.
Tanks should probably thank you. You draw a lot of attention to his posts that generally get passed over out of respect to others in the discussion. Your generalizations that nearly all South African hunting is real hunting based on the one outfitter you regularly endorse ignores much of what is occurring. I know of at least one first time African hunter your posts contributed to being pushed away from South Africa. There are likely others you’ve made ask many more questions before booking, which is a good thing.

Tanks should probably thank you. You draw a lot of attention to his posts that generally get passed over out of respect to others in the discussion. Your generalizations that nearly all South African hunting is real hunting based on the one outfitter you regularly endorse ignores much of what is occurring. I know of at least one first time African hunter your posts contributed to being pushed away from South Africa. There are likely others you’ve made ask many more questions before booking, which is a good thing.

I purposely left you out of the conversation as the other individual who cannot resist belittling outfitters, hunting destinations, and hunting styles that you have no personal experience with... But since you also cannot help yourself, I am happy to include you.. You are both elitist clowns that think you know everything about hunting in Africa which you sadly do not..

You keep insisting that I base my comments on the experience of hunting with only one outfitter which is not only laughable but, blatantly false.. I have only endorsed one outfitter on this forum because that is the ONLY outfitter on here that I have hunted with personally... Unlike you and your buddy Tanks, I only opine from personal experience., and not speculations and assumptions. Apparently you have a short memory, so without knowing the first thing about you other than your arrogance, I will restate with 100% confidence that I can guarantee that I have hunted in more international destinations on more outfitted and DIY hunts than you will in your next 3 lifetimes.

Based on that experience, along with the dozens of PMs I have received from members and outfitters alike in regard to my comments on this subject here and in other threads where you two have chimed in with your opinions, I feel pretty good about the comments I have made on the subject matter at hand... I cannot wait to hear your opinions on more hunts with more outfits in more places that you have never been... LOL!

Reactions: IvW
Based on buffalo hunts I have done, the costs, highest to lowest, were:
Botswana
Zambia
South Africa (Klaserie unlimited)
Zimbabwe
Mozambique
In countries where I have hunted more than once I simply used the average cost.
My best buffalo came from Klaserie with Albert Alberts. My best hunt was with Len Taylor in Dande.

I purposely left you out of the conversation as the other individual who cannot resist belittling outfitters, hunting destinations, and hunting styles that you have no personal experience with... But since you also cannot help yourself, I am happy to include you.. You are both elitist clowns that think you know everything about hunting in Africa which you sadly do not..

You keep insisting that I base my comments on the experience of hunting with only one outfitter which is not only laughable but, blatantly false.. I have only endorsed one outfitter on this forum because that is the ONLY outfitter on here that I have hunted with personally... Unlike you and your buddy Tanks, I only opine from personal experience., and not speculations and assumptions. Apparently you have a short memory, so without knowing the first thing about you other than your arrogance, I will restate with 100% confidence that I can guarantee that I have hunted in more international destinations on more outfitted and DIY hunts than you will in your next 3 lifetimes.

Based on that experience, along with the dozens of PMs I have received from members and outfitters alike in regard to my comments on this subject here and in other threads where you two have chimed in with your opinions, I feel pretty good about the comments I have made on the subject matter at hand... I cannot wait to hear your opinions on more hunts with more outfits in more places that you have never been... LOL!
Just keep blindly doing what you do Dave, it makes people ask questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?