Buckshot & Leopard- Fact Or Fiction?

Hi,

I have no experience on leopard hunting. But, me too, am an avid reader about it.
Most of the serious PH don´t like buckshot of any kind!
I remember an article by Robin Hurt after being charged and hurted by a leopard, where hi missed his 500 NE to go after a wounded one. He strongly recommend to go after it with a serious rifle!

OK, I'll start the conversation up again. How about #6 bird shot? If you hit him in the eyes and blind him, he can't eat what he can't see.
@archer36: just came across your post (above) and I don’t know you and do not want to offend you, But PLEASE Don’t back-me-up if I ever wound a Leopard !!
Even if you can find and verify an instance where someone successfully defended themselves from a Leopard attack by “blinding the Cat with #6s” there’s got to be better weapons to use: a Soup Spoon being one.

Reactions: IvW
But Doctor,
Richard Harland has never actually stopped a leopard charge with a shotgun. His shotgun of choice is a 12 gauge 2.5” W.J Jeffery boxlock non ejector side by side (modified choke left barrel and cylinder choke right barrel) and his buckshot of choice used to be Eley Grand Prix SG (nine pellet).

He only ever shot three leopards with it:
One leopard charged at him and Richard fired at him, but the SG pellets only grazed the leopard in the patch of skin on the right shoulder. The leopard pounced on Richard and was getting ready to maul him, when Richard’s hunting parter (Fritz) killed the leopard with a .30-06 Springfield. This was the only one from the three leopards which actually charged at Richard.
The other two leopards were already fatally wounded by clients and Richard just put an insurance shot behind their shoulders when they were already immobilized.
I respect your opinion but i have to say that i killed many pumas boars and even buffalo with Shotguns with great results.Lately i use a 470NE but im feel confident with a shotgun.I was in only one leopard pursue and as everyone has scoped rifles i asked for a shotgun

I respect your opinion but i have to say that i killed many pumas boars and even buffalo with Shotguns with great results.Lately i use a 470NE but im feel confident with a shotgun.I was in only one leopard pursue and as everyone has scoped rifles i asked for a shotgun
Oh, definitely. I was just pointing out a fact about Richard.

I myself have also killed quite a few big game animals (including a few dangerous ones such as two man eating Royal Bengal tigers & one African leopard) with shotguns over the years.
IMG_20240528_001404_01.jpg
570D8DFF-EE1D-439A-99DD-E4FB0514EEBF.jpeg
Messenger_creation_665951e7-33b2-4220-a50f-641729998704.jpg

@juan pablo pozzi - a Puma or Cougar/Mountain Lion is a very easy animal to kill - a .38 cal revolver or .223 rifle or shotgun/buck shot have all been used to take a cat over hounds — they don’t carry much lead. I never shot a Leopard or saw one shot but always heard they are MUCH TOUGHER. I have killed over 100 whitetail deer with shotgun & buckshot (did deer control with State issued depradation permit for 7 years) and even 12ga with 000 buck penetrates poorly after 25 yards - and even at 10 yards the pellets never exit on broad side shots. My Cougar Guide's told me they had killed cats with .357 handgun and .223, one with a .22LR and I believe them but I would Not want to use that on a Leopard —- at least Not if I had a choice. I believe a Leopard is a different type of cat but will let others with actual experience be the real experts.

Two years ago, in NW Montana, a bird hunter killed a mature grizzly bear with his 12 ga. with a load of #6 bird shot. This was widely reported and documented.

Lots of top cat men PH’s grab a shotgun with heavy buckshot. From zim to Tanz and Zam.
I’ve seen many - Guav Johnson here sharing the pictures after a charge. Bucks shot stopped this cat and likely saved him.

Adam Clement’s in Tanz is seen on YouTube dispatching a a big leopard after it charged and ran into the grass wall of their blind. He had a benelli and killed it

Jason stone shoots about 20 cats a season. He grabs his Benelli every time. Leaves his beloved 470 double…

IMG_2457.jpeg
IMG_2459.jpeg
IMG_2458.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2458.jpeg
    IMG_2458.jpeg
    878.5 KB · Views: 2
Lots of top cat men PH’s grab a shotgun with heavy buckshot. From zim to Tanz and Zam.
I’ve seen many - Guav Johnson here sharing the pictures after a charge. Bucks shot stopped this cat and likely saved him.

Adam Clement’s in Tanz is seen on YouTube dispatching a a big leopard after it charged and ran into the grass wall of their blind. He had a benelli and killed it

Jason stone shoots about 20 cats a season. He grabs his Benelli every time. Leaves his beloved 470 double…

View attachment 628059View attachment 628060View attachment 628061
@dchum - “kills 20 cats a year”? Sounds like a lot —- unless they’re House Cats?

@dchum - “kills 20 cats a year”? Sounds like a lot —- unless they’re House Cats?
Yes Jason stone - check him out. I have no issue saying that. I don’t speak with hyperbole. He hunts multiple country’s.
Lots of private land in Bots and Zambia

He’s at 5 or 6 already since June 1st. Lots of season left and he’s not even in the thick of it.

Thanks for checking.

Best

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KelliBarwe

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with