Brumby Hunting

Commercial horse meat in Europe is delicious. A French friend of mine gets horse tartare as soon as she gets off the plane. The horse I’ve eaten has been lean and mineraly and not off putting in comparison to beef.

Through careful processing my wild venison tastes as clean as farm raised. I wonder if there were efficient killing and processing these horses could be sold commercially? Get a couple of Australian chefs to put it on menus and it might take off like Lionfish in Florida. Maybe Attica?
I have eaten it, young fat mares are great eating, lean red meat and has no gamey taste at all in my opinion. I know Europeans love it, my old man grew up on horse meat in Holland.

Mate one thing you have mentioned here is the biggest problem I have seen where I am, and not just with brumbies but scrub bulls as well and that's breaking fences. Brumbies and scrub bulls cause a huge amount of damage to fences and then obviously the property owners cattle get out. It costs land owners a fortune. I have actually shot a brumby that had wire wrapped around its legs in 2 different places and the skin had nearly grown back over the wire, had obviously gone through a fence months earlier.
Ethical hunting. Approved, tick.

That must be purely genetics then ay? Because you would think the brumbies in top end of NT would have more feed and water

I’ve often wondered about it.The Simpson donkeys seem bigger, too. I have a hunch that whatever limited food is available in the desert holds its nutritional value longer than our grasslands which whither and die quickly after the rains finish. But I’d like to know what a scientist thinks of that theory.

Move them into the cities where the “greenies” live and fence them in the cities. See how they like them then. Country folk trying to make a living are the ones suffering from all the feral animals.
Or make the “greenies” pay out of their pocket for all the damage. I think they might have a change of mind then. JMO

I have never seen a greenie or a leftie snowflake give one dime. Stomp, shout, break windows, burn cars, but help pay for their ideas? Never!........(OK, I'll stop and go take my meds).........FWB

Too much politics. No one listens to the sane voices recommending control. It's all emotion about saving the pretty horsies. Too many hosses asses and not enough hoss sense.

A big old stallion is good for dog food, a young fat mare is not bad to eat yourself. I know plenty of old Europeans that grew up on horse meat.
Aussie Hunter
Makes bloody good jerky too.
Bob

i used to shoot them for pet meat.
we used to gut them, cut off the lower legs and heads and cut them up.
the parts were the neck, the hind quarters, the fore quarters, and a midriff section.
we would separate the rear end from the spine, sit it on its bum, and split it down the spine with an axe.
then cut off the midriff which stayed whole and the neck likewise.
we then cut the spine between the shoulders with the axe to create 2 forequarters.
we saved the tails which in those days were used to make brooms.
the heaviest sections were the forequarters which tapered the wrong way to grip easily when picked up.
if we had to stack them in the tray of the vehicle or trailer, the sections would sweat, creating white foam.
even next day.
when we got back to the chiller, we had to put the frozen parts already in there off the hooks into a stack up one end, then put the new ones on the hooks.
with ice on the floor, and the weight and shape of the pieces this task was not easy.
we often cut handgrips between rib bones to aid in handling.
we were often out for days before finding any and if they were standing still under trees were hard to see.
i used a 25/06 for this, not by choice, but because it was what i had.
even with 120 gn bullets it was undergunned, usually scratching them down .
it had a good trajectory in the sandhill country, but insufficient power.
my friend used a 30/06 which was barely better, and i rate them both as insufficient for the job.
a pretty big normal horse goes about 1000 lb in good condition, so 600 kilos is massive.
a lot of our brumbies carry moth thoroubred and graft blood.
the op horse here seems to have no feathers, and its feet are not spread out, suggesting little or no draft blood.
i am a great lover of horses, having bred them for some years, and broken and trained mine and others, but accept that australia is no place for feral ones.
they really come under the same heading as goats, cats, foxes buffalo, pigs, camels, donkeys, and such as needing to be eliminated from the wild for the sake of our fragile environment, and delicate ecosystems.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
The 9.3x64 or the Whelen would be ideal on them.
Bob

LOL. Afraid I never looked closely at their hooves. o_O Still a good movie although Kirk Douglas was badly miscast in an otherwise all Aussie group. Had a great music score too.
@sestoppelman
The hut used in the film is still standing and can be accessed by 4x4. Beautiful views from up there as well . Google Craig's hut to have a look. I have a panoramic picture of it by Ken Duncan in my kitchen.
Bob

Bob.............ya....OH, for a whelen back then....I wore out a 300 Wby and a 264 Win Mag on them. Used a 280 Rem. Even used a 243 and a 250 Savage at times. But oh, did I long for the thump of a Whelen. and Sessto....you are right on............loved the movie, love Kirk Douglas.......but he was outta place badly in THAT movie.....FW Bill

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen i havent eaten horse as far as i know. I tried camel jerky it was dry.
Maybe i would try horse but i have no hesitation in assisting with pest management where appropriate.

Too much politics. No one listens to the sane voices recommending control. It's all emotion about saving the pretty horsies. Too many hosses asses and not enough hoss sense.
@Newboomer
Some photos of Craig's hut at different times of the year.
It is now a tourist attraction but you need a 4x4 to get there
20200630_184428.jpg
20200630_184352.jpg
20200630_184319.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice to you Aussies: kill as many brumbies as quietly as you can while you can. Once enough of the general public buys into the propaganda that these critter's are "wild horses", the game is over.

Always call them "feral horses" and explain they are descended from escaped horses or dumped horses. There are no wild horses. Explain ecological damage. Pass significant penalties for those who release unwanted horses because they can't bear to send them to the glue factory.

Feral horses are a real problem in west central Alberta. We are allowed no significant control measures, the horse worshippers gave won. The only good thing about them is that they kill the odd wolf when wolves attack. Unfortunately, not a preferred wolf food.

I know of one herd west of Caroline that often grazes along the highway, crossing back and forth. Not afraid of cars. Can you imagine hitting one of them in the dark? They would possibly kill you.

Kill them all.

View attachment 355935

I have a theory that there is either a Simpsons episode or a Waylon Jennings song for every occasion.
That’s one of my favorite episodes.
He said “what do you call them”
Bart replies “ bullfrogs”
“That’s funny, I’d have called it a chaswazzer”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteSchnel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?