Browning Safari Followed Me Home

That should clean up nice! Great rifle!!

I’ve had good luck with the Linspeed as well - wish I had found out about it sooner
@Berettaco
Linseed is a great product. I use it on all my timber stocks. 5 to six coats allow to harden and keep in good condition with Gilleys gun wax. Gives a beautiful satin finish.
Bob
20200201_135424.jpg
20200201_135344.jpg

Linseed and Gilleys gun wax. The beauty of the wax is it can be used on metal parts as well. Dust just wipes off and water beads and runs off

@Berettaco
Linseed is a great product. I use it on all my timber stocks. 5 to six coats allow to harden and keep in good condition with Gilleys gun wax. Gives a beautiful satin finish.
Bob
View attachment 553056View attachment 553057
Linseed and Gilleys gun wax. The beauty of the wax is it can be used on metal parts as well. Dust just wipes off and water beads and runs off
Beautiful rifle! I think i'm going to take my first shot at stock refinishing later this year, and I think I'll need to choose between linseed oil or tung oil.

Beautiful rifle! I think i'm going to take my first shot at stock refinishing later this year, and I think I'll need to choose between linseed oil or tung oil.

Give Timberluxe some consideration. I know quite a goodly number of individuals in the vintage SxS community who have been rather pleased with their product.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 8.58.51 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 8.58.51 AM Large.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 8.58.53 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 8.58.53 AM Large.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 43
Give Timberluxe some consideration. I know quite a goodly number of individuals in the vintage SxS community who have been rather pleased with their product.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll check it out. :)

That’s a nice piece of wood and the finish looks great! Is that your 243?
@Berettaco
Wash your mouth out with soap. NEVER NEVER NEVER will a 243 be anywhere near me. It's my 1885 lowall built in 1897 and refurbed to 22K hornet.
Bob

@cash_tx
LINSPEED mate 15 bucks a jar that will do 4 to 6 rifles. DO NOT use Linseed it will never dry completely.
Bob

In keeping with this thread and in @Bob Nelson 35Whelen's honor, I'm posting this picture of a Browning Safari Grade... in 243 Winchester. :)

It was passed down from my grandfather, who actually loved to grow tomatoes; thus Bob will know that it's not entirely useless. ;-)

View attachment 554040
THAT is a hand me down? Looks like a new one, beautiful rifle cash

THAT is a hand me down? Looks like a new one, beautiful rifle cash
Thank you; it is very special to me. It is a 1965 model that has seen very little field use, since my grandfather primarily hunted with a 270 that my dad had custom built for him. My grandfather did not have many guns, but he made sure that each grandkid was willed one good deer rifle; and this is the one that he designated to me.

Lol, Bob what you have against a 243? Beautiful rifle I love the 1885's.
@Axle2010
EVERYTHING
To big for small game, to small for bigger game and doest live upto Winchester bullshit advertising. Hell they even had to revise the velocity DOWN because it was pie in the sky.
The little 250 Savage will do all the 243 will do and then some.
Bob

Thank you; it is very special to me. It is a 1965 model that has seen very little field use, since my grandfather primarily hunted with a 270 that my dad had custom built for him. My grandfather did not have many guns, but he made sure that each grandkid was willed one good deer rifle; and this is the one that he designated to me.
@cash_tx
At least your grandfather hunted with a 270 and left the 243 at home where it should be. Our elders had brains and hunted with what actually worked even if it was a 270.
Bob

@Axle2010
EVERYTHING
To big for small game, to small for bigger game and doest live upto Winchester bullshit advertising. Hell they even had to revise the velocity DOWN because it was pie in the sky.
The little 250 Savage will do all the 243 will do and then some.
OK I gotcha. At least we can agree the 338 WM is one of the best cartridges in the market though right.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MHROdell83

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!