Broadheads for hard vs soft skinned game

Ratnik

Reaction score
If you have a heavy rig set up to take DG (80+ lb, 700+ grain arrows), do you use the same set up for hunting smaller game or do you use another broadhead/play around with arrow weight, etc? A heavy 2 blade fixed broadhead is best for penetration, but if penetration isn't an issue would you switch to a broadhead with a large cutting diameter/expanding head to accelerate blood loss?

If you have a heavy rig set up to take DG (80+ lb, 700+ grain arrows), do you use the same set up for hunting smaller game or do you use another broadhead/play around with arrow weight, etc? A heavy 2 blade fixed broadhead is best for penetration, but if penetration isn't an issue would you switch to a broadhead with a large cutting diameter/expanding head to accelerate blood loss?

Fair question... For me penetration is always an issue. I can't speak for other bow hunters who have hunted both dangerous and plainsgame on the same safari, but I am bringing 2 sets of arrows on my buffalo hunt. I built 6 arrows with a TOW of 960 grains for the buffalo. I am bringing another dozen that I have used on previous safaris that have a TOW of 640 grains. Both arrows have an FOC over 25% and I have single bevel, 2-blade broadheads on both arrows.

I don't believe there is such as thing as too much penetration, and you would not be wrong to use a heavy DG arrow on plainsgame. However, you will sacrifice some arrow speed with the heavier arrow, and that can come into play with longer shots, and some critters that tend to be string jumpy. The 640 grain arrow with the 2-blade brings plenty of momentum and enough speed to be practical and ethical from my set up. My personal recommendation is to avoid mechanical/expandable broadheads at all costs. My issues with expandables have been echoed on here a dozen times in other threads.... They are momentum robbing parachutes. If you do use them, you will need lots of momentum generated from your set up and luck.

I tend to use more blades (3 or 4) the softer skinned is the animal
Dangerous Game 2 bladed
No mechanical

The only thing about different weight arrows you might have to change your sights.
I would shoot a 600 plus grain arrow and see. but yes I would have 2 sets of arrows .
Each to their own but no Forrest

kind of a question, maybe a comment...if a 2 blade fixed broadhead would kill a cape buffalo, in fact probably required for such, doesn't it make sense it would do a fine job on ANY lesser animal?

Yes, but the Cape buffalo is a much larger target than an impala and not at all likely to jump a string unless he sees you and decides to charge. The main point though is that more blood means a faster kill and since either is likely to blow through the animal, why not cut him more and get him down as quickly as possible?

2 blade fixed broad heads have no bearing on jumping the string, the arrow speed determines how fast it gets there, not what kind of point/broadhead is on the end of it, so jumping the string with a fast arrow with a fixed OR mechanical 2 blade will be the same.

"A" reason for a fixed broad head as that it is much more likely to completely penetrate an animal than a mechanical one that might bend, break, fail etc and not cut much or penetrate much. also, fixed broadheads will not fail to "open", they are generally narrower but because of that, penetrate better, in any animal.

will a failed mechanical actually cut more than a fixed? will a working mechanical actually penetrate better (therefore cut more) than a fixed?

a buddy of mine shot a bull moose last season with a mechanical (4 times) and said he would never use them again on a moose. i suspect as the size of the animal gets larger, then the fixed blades offer more advantage.

just some thoughts (i have by the way killed multiple moose, caribou, black bear and black tailed deer with a bow)

Oh, I agree with the above. I just mean that if the animal jumps the string and they are a smaller/softer animal that you get a pass through on anyway, the fixed 3-4 blade broadhead might help. That said, I would not be shooting any mechanicals in Africa. I don't even really see the need for them here in the US, aside from people who just want to see as much blood as possible on a kill. One sufficient cut all the way through the animal is all we need.

yeah, you are likely right on a smaller animal extra blades might help. those texas white tails are so jittery i am amazed a guy can even hit em with an arrow without them jumping the string!

Im going to shoot a 3 blade head when i go over shortly. If i was going after the bigger animals I'd probly do the same and take to arrows. Should be easy to reset the sight over there for a cape I would imagine you would shoot from to far at one so say you just have to move 2 or 3 pins a little not a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeeperscj

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa