BRNO ZKK 602 Scope ring options?

deewayne2003

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I’ve got a BRNO 602 .375H&H I’m looking to mount a scope on and have a couple of questions.

1. Are CZ550 scope rings/bases fully interchangeable with the BRNO 602?

2. For those of you with 602’s which mounting option did you have success with?…. Preferably QD

1. Yes

2. I'm using Warne QD on my 602s and am very happy with them. I've never tried Alaska Arms, but I've heard that they are highly regarded. I believe Talley also make mounts to suit these rifles.

Warne works well on ZG 47. The same ring-mounts and 2-piece bases work on: post-WW2 Model 21/22, ZG 47, all ZKK models and CZ550. One piece bases work on Model 21/22, ZG 47, ZKK 600, etcetera. Picatinny bases are a separate story.

I had Warne QD rings on my CZ550 and removed my scope regularly for cleaning and travel without any loss of zero.

Warne's are difficult to lap, and the CZ dovetails are not always cut as straight (relative to the receiver) as they should be. They (Warne) were the best, and only real choice for a long time. I'll be putting Alaska Arms on the cz550 416 Rigby I picked up this week.

Alaska Arms lever rings fit the Brno 602 Magnum action and the CZ 550 Magnum action interchangeably.
I prefer them over other brands however, on Model 98 Mausers, I have used the old fashioned - original Talley brand lever rings on their bases (milled blocks of steel) with perfect success.
If Talley presently makes rings for the factory milled square bridges on the 602 and the 550, I would bet they work fine as well.

As akrifleman points out, according to some folks, the CZ 550 millwork was not always super precise.
I’ve heard it from others as well so, I expect it was true.
Personally, I did not experience any such problems with the several 550’s that I used to own.
But, mine were from earlier production Model 550’s, both Magnum and Standard calibers.
The 6.5x55 that I kept (factory stocked carbine, Model “550 FS”) is one of the most accurate rifles I’ve ever owned.
I suspect the milling problem was when CZ’s equipment was wearing out, just before they quit making the otherwise excellent 550 series of rifles.
That said, a professional Gunsmith more than likely could easily re-cut the notches to fit.

It's called "drinking and posting". Welcome to the club. ;)
That’s funny…. Because it’s true!
IMG_3086.jpeg

Just now looking for some for my 602.
Need 1” qd.
Is this code right for Warne scope rings?
1blm. I’m not in the position of trying before I buy unfortunately.
So will need to take a punt.
@BeeMaa Ive seen your post on another thread about this but do you think I can find it again:X3:

Just now looking for some for my 602.
Need 1” qd.
Is this code right for Warne scope rings?
1blm. I’m not in the position of trying before I buy unfortunately.
So will need to take a punt.
@BeeMaa Ive seen your post on another thread about this but do you think I can find it again:X3:
My CZ550 I believe had the Warne Medium Height, 1", Matte Black, QD...part number 1BLM. It was those or the low rings, I can't remember. Either way the bolt handle just barley cleared the scope and if you didn't work the bolt correctly, you could catch yourself on the ocular bell pretty good. If not wearing gloves, it could easily draw blood. Happened to me a number of times. The things we do to keep the scope as low as possible.

FYI - My bolt handle had been straightened as part of the AHR #2 package which would increase the clearance to the scope. Here's a closeup picture of my rig. Notice the gloves. ;) I would recommend the medium rings as a good starting point and check clearance.

1723487682439.png

Brilliant talk about fast service. it looks like I may just have to order two.
It’s the choice between faster reload or fast sighting……if I shot straight I won’t need the 2nd shot but Diana can be a fickle bitch.

I see you have the leavers on the RHS. I read about that this helps keep them tight but is this where you were losing skin? @BeeMaa

I have used Alaska Arms, Warnes and Talley rings on both ZKK 602 and CZ 550.

Here is my feedback, deewayne2003 and Sideshow, based on objective facts rather than subjective likes or dislike...

Alaska Arms
The Alaska Arms rings I used had their lever on the left side and the recoil lug was part of the clamp plate.
I personally thought that having the fairly large levers on the left side was not ideal because they dug in the side of my body when carrying the rifle with the shoulder strap.
I also noticed that having the recoil lug on the clamp plate, hence making it a moving part, as opposed to being on the body of the ring, hence making it a fixed part, was less conductive to a perfect return to zero. It typically took a few shots to settle the rear ring in place under recoil, and this had a slight impact on the zero..
I stopped using them for these two reasons.

I understand that they now offer right side lever rings. This alleviates one concern, but I do not know if these have the clamp on the right and the lug on the left side, hence alleviating the issue of the lug on a moving part?

Warnes
The Warnes rings have a pointed top where the two rings join. One may or may not like the aesthetic of that...
More importantly, the recoil lug is located at the middle of the rear ring. This makes the rear ring overhang slightly over the ejection/loading port and I found it inconvenient for loading.
Also, the levers have very sharp edges. This can make them painful to use or when manipulating the rifle e.g. loading the magazine.
I stopped using them for these two reasons.

Talley
To me the Talley rings are the most practical due to the location of the recoil lug at the front of the rear ring. They center on the rear bridge and do not overhang over the ejection/loading port of the action. I find this a plus.
Also, the levers have rounded edges. This prevents scratching your fingers/knuckles when using them and manipulating the rifle e.g. loading the magazine.
I am therefore only using Talley rings now, some with levers - CZ 550 DG rifle where scope removal is a plus for close range work; and some without levers - Win 70 .300 Wby and Mark V .340 Wby where scope removal is not desired.
I am entirely satisfied with them, including a very reliable return to zero with the removable rings.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
I see you have the leavers on the RHS. I read about that this helps keep them tight but is this where you were losing skin? @BeeMaa
I knuckle got caught moving the bolt forward between the bolt the ocular bell. The sharp edge on the bell gave me "scope cut" to say the least. I used superglue once the blood stopped to close it up for the remainder of the hunt.

As for the levers. In hind sight, I would have been better off with the Alaska Arms rings because the levers would be on the left side (of a right handed rifle) and out of the way of the loading/ejection port of the action. These are the rings I was looking at.

https://alaskaarmsllc.com/products/cz-scope-rings-1-inch-medium-left-levers-cz41lcz41l

I don't believe Talley makes QD rings for the CZ550 anymore. At least not according to their website. You might be able to find them on the shelf somewhere or maybe used. For "in production" CZ550 QD rings...it's Warne with the levers on the right, or Alaska Arms with the levers on the left.

EDIT - I found a set of Talley rings if you are interested...although it does look like the levers are on the right side. Your call.

https://www.sportoptics.com/talley-scope-mount-1czl550.html

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosemarySi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe