Brno 7x64 & Hornady 162gn ELDX

Spongebob

Reaction score
Media
Good Evening All

I am looking to start load development on my Brno ZKK600 7x64B. Most of the R&D done through various powder manufacturers and online resources point me to a 160gn Nosler Partition.

These are not easy to find in South Africa and the next best alternative of which there is an abundance of stock is the Hornady ELDX. I am a Hornady fan so the decision isn’t very difficult given their new drag technology etc.

I wanted to hear the opinion of others and see if anyone has a point of departure for this load combination.

Hi,

For some years I had a beatuful Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK long rifle in 7x64. And developed many loads for 160 and 175 grs bullets. After a lot of work, I arrived at the same RWS loads. No too much to improve:
160 grs = 58 grs R22 (same powder as Rottweil R905 and NORMA MRP) for 2850 f/s
175 grs = 56 grs R22 (same as above) for 2700 f/s
I did not try R25 (NORMA MRP2) but if one is after the best relation of velocity/pressure with 175 grs I would put a coin on it!
Another good powder I tried was the IMR 7828 with 2 grs more than the R22 for the same results.

Good luck!

CF

I have just purchased a 7x64 from a South African living in Australia.
He has been using Hornady ELD-X over a load of AR2213 which is H4831sc

Hi,

For some years I had a beatuful Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK long rifle in 7x64. And developed many loads for 160 and 175 grs bullets. After a lot of work, I arrived at the same RWS loads. No too much to improve:
160 grs = 58 grs R22 (same powder as Rottweil R905 and NORMA MRP) for 2850 f/s
175 grs = 56 grs R22 (same as above) for 2700 f/s
I did not try R25 (NORMA MRP2) but if one is after the best relation of velocity/pressure with 175 grs I would put a coin on it!
Another good powder I tried was the IMR 7828 with 2 grs more than the R22 for the same results.

Good luck!

CF
Thanks Clodo
Definitely aligned with the bullet weight, our powder selection varies in South Africa but will have a look at the burn rate chart. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyeSands

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?