Bringing trophies home from South Africa in Luggage

matt vejar

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
I finished my second Safari with Tyrone Milne of Chumlet Safaris. Had another great hunt. I brought two of my trophies home from the 2023 hunt. An exceptional Nyala 28” and a very good Common Reedbuck 13”. So I’ll post the paper work required and a message fro the Fish and Game lady in charge of my shipment at San Francisco International. The only hard part of the process is uploading your documents onto the EDec Form. My sister in law was a CEO’s paralegal/ secretary so it only took her 15 minutes. You have to to have the app that will let you scan then add to their platform. She did it while I was in Africa. Anyways it’s all easy except for that. Your outfitters taxidermist has to be awesome also. Universal Taxidermy in Pretoria meets that criteria. Also remember you this is only going to fly if you return to hunt with an outfitter you’re returning to hunt with or is willing to work with you. Saved me 2k or so just spent on my return hunting trip. Anything blotted out is my shipping address and name. PM me and I’ll share my take on the phone. I came in on a Sunday so only Customs was available. No charges for anything. And my luggage was delayed so it came to my house 3 days later. I actually think it was easier this way as Fish and Game and US Ag we’re out of the loop. Customs officers just said “will put it in there box “. 10 minutes and I was on my way!!

Attachments

• IMG_3484.png
    IMG_3484.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3492.jpeg
    IMG_3492.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3491.jpeg
    IMG_3491.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3489.jpeg
    IMG_3489.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3488.jpeg
    IMG_3488.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3486.jpeg
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3483.png
    IMG_3483.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3494.png
    IMG_3494.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 58
I am considering doing this as well. Thanks for the info

As your luggage was delayed, did you also have a delayed/lost firearm coming back? Was only the luggage with the trophy delayed?

No fire arm. It was the first delay I’ve ever had with Virgin Atlantic. They are really on top of delayed baggage. When I got a notice by email that said “if you have declared items that must go through customs you will have to return to airport to retrieve luggage “, I thought crap I’m not filling this out - I had filled out lost luggage with there people at airport- this was a follow up message. It’s 3 hours to Frisco from my home so I just let the chips fall where they may and I got a message saying FedEx would deliver my luggage in 3 days as it was memorial weekend. It showed. I’ve flown Virgin with and without guns several times. It’s a great airline to Africa. Sir Branson has my business forever after this trip!!!!

Well done.

For the Aussies here, I recently returned to Australia from South Africa with tanned capes / back skins and bleached skulls from a previous trip. No problems at all bringing them in - no prior paperwork required, a 5 minute inspection at airport from the Bio people.

Thanks for your willingness to teach us. I’ll be in contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MosheFalco

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex
A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?