Bringing a pre-64 model 70 back from the dead

mauserhunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been about 4 years now I've know about this gun first seen it on the shelves of a small lgs. I bought it to build back into a working deer rifle again, I pain $300 for what was left of this rifle. What happened to it is pretty tragic, more so after I got it home to look at it more.

The gun shop told me a women brought the gun in to sell, her story was her husband had alzheimers or dementia I can't remember. The guy had his guns next to his work bench and one day went at it on this gun. From what he told me the stock was cut off then what looked like marks from a slag hammer he beat the gun many time from the rear sight to the action. The must have used a brick and rubbed it down the hole barrel many more times. Afterwards the women didn't know what was what and things went in the garage, after the man passed she brought in to sell.

All that was left was the barreled action, the trigger guard, the mag box, complet,bolt,sights and hood,rear and middle action screw. Everything else was thrown away, so I buy it for 300 to build a 280 some day. It's a 3006 btw, get home see its a 1953 the action has a few small dings but somehow came out mostly unhurt. then I take off the sight hood and my heart sank, I knew just enough about m70s to know what I saw. Underneath was the Redfield gold bead sight meaning this rifle must have been a super grade.

I looked up think it was pre 1955 super grades weren't really marked other then the bottom metal that was thrown away on this gun. After 55 they marked under the barrel.

I wish I had the money to bring this gun back as a super grade but I don't have the money, so I plan to make it a good working rifle that I don't mind if it gets a scratch or ding hunting.

I put it in another m70 stock I took of my 270 to test fire it, seems fine hit about where i was aiming at 50 yards with the sights, I didn't have bases then. I filed the dents out of the barrel and it should look OK after some bluing. Some day I'll have a 280 rem barrel made up but it's kinda nice having a gun I can get ammo anywhere since I like oddball rounds lop.

So I need a complete floorplate, follower and spring, front action screw and a stock. I pulled off the gold bead and should see if I can sell it or trade for some parts. I had my eye on the dlc coated bottom metal and follower at pre-64.com. maybe I should call them and see if there interested in the sight.

Here's the only picture I have of the barrel before I filed it, it was shot with a potato of a camera but you get the idea.

IMG_20221221_201056_hdr.jpg

Good luck with your search. You'll find what you need.

Looks like pre64.com is offering me $275 for the Redfield gold bead sight, that will cover the cost for the other parts I need to make it a complete rifle. Have a synthetic stock on its way that I will fit. The pre64 collector's would probably shot me for putting a pre64 super grade in a synthetic stock but this is the cheapest way to get the rifle back out hunting.

Here's the pictures I sent them.

20240107_222241.jpg
20240107_222215.jpg
20240107_222139.jpg
20240107_222230.jpg

Attachments

• 20240107_222036.jpg
    20240107_222036.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 44
Bit of a update, got a synthetic stock from a forum member and I am fitting the pre 64 in the post 64 stock, this is a early classic stock. Taking some work but after bedding everything and some filling maybe with a paint job it should look fine. I still need to get the action back more in the stock but have to make room for the bolt handle and maybe cut some for the trigger guard. The guard sticks up a bit where it flares for the rear action screw, it not bad just a bit annoying knowing.

I made a deal on parts from pre64.com and used up the $275 credit they gave me for the sight, they had a nice dlc coated floorplate and follower I picked up, a follower spring, firing pin spring for a spare, action screws, front sight to replace the one I sold, and a 3006 barrel for if this one does not shoot since there's some pitting, the barrel was $49 and way better then I would have thought like 90% bluing or better. Figured I could always send one into jes to make it a 9.3x62, have to see if it indexing and headstones one day.

So slowly it's coming along, it may not be pretty but this gun was just sitting on a shelf to never see the woods again.

20240128_222836.jpg
20240128_222757.jpg
20240128_222640.jpg
20240128_221205.jpg

Nice job, getting the old guns back out shooting again is a passion of mine, got several done and more to get done.

I bought a Springfield a while back for $200 that I need to do something with, and a 91 that I picked up for $50. I got to many irons in the fire

I bought a Springfield a while back for $200 that I need to do something with, and a 91 that I picked up for $50. I got to many irons in the fire
Good days, I picked up a sporter 91 argentine last year for $95, my buddy shot two deer with it this season. Like to find a us Enfield to build a 375 some day but money is always tight.

Enfields are pretty scarce and expensive right now, kicking myself for selling the last one I had.

Up to about a few years ago you could pickup there actions for about $100
I know, now guys are are putting them back into military configuration and selling them, instead of doing custom rifles with them. Younger guys calling us fudds and that we are Bubba, for making them into custom rifles. So action prices went up and they are getting harder to find. Some guys are even welding up the screw holes and parkerizing them to sell as arsenal rebuilds and making back on young collectors.

I know, now guys are are putting them back into military configuration and selling them, instead of doing custom rifles with them. Younger guys calling us fudds and that we are Bubba, for making them into custom rifles. So action prices went up and they are getting harder to find. Some guys are even welding up the screw holes and parkerizing them to sell as arsenal rebuilds and making back on young collectors.
Well I'm pretty young so not all of us are that way, it seems much worse to be making a fake out of a sporter then to have made a sporter from a pile of parts. I did see a krag carbine a guy at the last gun show I went a few weeks ago asking $400 so there's still some deals, wish I had the money to of bought it.

Well count me in as one who thinks it’s darn near a felony to put a Pre-64 in a plastic stock. ;-). At least you’ll have her up and running again.

I have a Pre-64 story as well. My dad’s uncle had a Pre-64 270 that he gave to his son, only to have the son sand the stock to oblivion, get rid of the sights, totally screw up the gun, and was in the process of hawking it for drug money before my dad’s uncle got the gun back. He gave the gun to my dad, but supposedly the gun was all messed up, wouldn’t shoot straight, and probably needed to be trashed. My dad and I decided we’d see what we could do with it, so I ordered a new scope, new rings and bases, and went out and shot it. With crap ammo it put two shots just under 1”. Next phase was a total overhaul. After having the barrel bore scoped to verify it was still good (had very little wear to it) the gun went to Show Me Gunstocks for some love. Donnie Gemes restocked it, had the original barrel band lathed down, replaced the bottom metal, and then sent everything off to be re-blued. Let’s just say, it was worth it. The gun is a serious 1/2” gun with factory ammo when I do my part, and it doesn’t look too bad either. First group was from bore sighing, 2nd was with 130gr CoreLoks after I brought it down. I pulled the third shot on the 2nd group, otherwise it would have been clover-leafed as well. I LOVE Pre-64’s.

IMG_3089.jpeg
IMG_3090.jpeg
IMG_1722.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well count me in as one who thinks it’s darn near a felony to put a Pre-64 in a plastic stock. ;-). At least you’ll have her up and running again.

I have a Pre-64 story as well. My dad’s uncle had a Pre-64 270 that he gave to his son, only to have the son sand the stock to oblivion, get rid of the sights, totally screw up the gun, and was in the process of hawking it for drug money before my dad’s uncle got the gun back. He gave the gun to my dad, but supposedly the gun was all messed up, wouldn’t shoot straight, and probably needed to be trashed. My dad and I decided we’d see what we could do with it, so I ordered a new scope, new rings and bases, and went out and shot it. With crap ammo it put two shots just under 1”. Next phase was a total overhaul. After having the barrel bore scoped to verify it was still good (had very little wear to it) the gun went to Show Me Gunstocks for some love. Donnie Gemes restocked it, had the original barrel band lathed down, replaced the bottom metal, and then sent everything off to be re-blued. Let’s just say, it was worth it. The gun is a serious 1/2” gun with factory ammo when I do my part, and it doesn’t look too bad either. First group was from bore sighing, 2nd was with 130gr CoreLoks after I brought it down. I pulled the third shot on the 2nd group, otherwise it would have been clover-leafed as well. I LOVE Pre-64’s.
I'd would have loved to put a nice wood stock on but just don't have the money, and getting a scratch on a plastic stock doesn't matter. I hope this one shoots but not betting on it that why I picked up another barrel. Nice job saving that gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVWClevela

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]