Website
www.buckstix.com
Media
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
US - CANADA
Brevex #17 joins the collection - Champlin Arms 416 Rigby

I've been fortunate to add another Brevex. And, in my favorite caliber. This is my first Champlin Arms rifle. I've emailed George Caswell asking for History about its build. It was just purchased at auction yesterday. When I get the rifle in hand I'll post details and additional pictures.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/CHAMPLIN-000.jpg

CHAMPLIN-000.jpg

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/brevex17.jpg

brevex17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The French made many great innovations- Pate De Foie Gras, Opinel folding knives and of course... the Brevex Magnum Mauser action. It's a real shame that they were manufactured so briefly.

What's the magazine capacity on the Carl Labuschagne .505 Gibbs ? 3+1 ?

Brevex #17 joins the collection - Champlin Arms 416 Rigby

I've been fortunate to add another Brevex. And, in my favorite caliber. This is my first Champlin Arms rifle. I've emailed George Caswell asking for History about its build. It was just purchased at auction yesterday. When I get the rifle in hand I'll post details and additional pictures.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/CHAMPLIN-000.jpg

View attachment 629405

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/brevex17.jpg

View attachment 629404
I knew Les Bauska and John Buhmiller, both from the Flathead Valley. I always thought John was primarily a barrel maker. I recall Earl Jackson did a lot of gunsmith work for him in his shop at the foot of Columbia Mountain. Earl was one of my dad's coworkers at the dam. He and Dad built my 30-06 Springfield 03A3. Horsewreck totaled that stock circa 1982 and Les sold me a replacement semi-finished that it still wears today. He was a genuinely nice guy. I can still see the twinkle in his eyes. Earl had a massive skull of one of Buhmiller's Cape buffalo bulls hanging over the window above his lathe. Had a big hole between the eyes! It would not surprise me if Earl had a hand in finishing your Buhmiller rifle. Those are both treasures. You are fortunate to own some important Montana gunmaking history.

The Buhmiller 416 Rigby was John's personal hunting rifle. His name and home address are electro-pencil engraved on the bottom of the follower. In one of his many articles he mentions using his Brevex 416 Rigby on an Africa hunt.

The Buhmiller 416 Rigby was John's personal hunting rifle. His name and home address are electro-pencil engraved on the bottom of the follower. In one of his many articles he mentions using his Brevex 416 Rigby on an Africa hunt.
Your gun may very well have shot that buffalo! Looking at that skull as a twelve year-old kid back in 1964 first put the Africa dream in my head. Would never have thought I'd someday have a couple of my own buffalo skulls on the wall.

If one searches for this post , one find a good article about the .416 rifle on another forum

“ John Riley Buhmiller, Pioneer Riflecrank”

[td]John Riley Buhmiller, Pioneer Riflecrank[/td]

If one searches for this post , one find a good article about the .416 rifle on another forum

“ John Riley Buhmiller, Pioneer Riflecrank”

[td]John Riley Buhmiller, Pioneer Riflecrank[/td]
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeterPethe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]