Bongo or Lord Derby Eland?

wildwilderness

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
Which one would you prefer to hunt?

Of course I would love to do both but if you had to prioritize a hunt which would you say is an overall “better” experience? Value?

On a side note, are there any future concerns with either animals availability or importability to the US?

LDE has always been high on my bucket list with Bongo a bit farther down.

If you would enjoy a forest hunt (probably with hounds), then a Bongo would be really cool (probably in one of the Congo's or Cameroon). For me and my limited experience, it would be a little too specialized.

I would go with the eland, because there are several species of plains game that I would like the opportunity to get while on the same trip (sable, waterbuck, black wildebeest, zebra (other than Burchell's), gazelle (if they were there), spotted hyena, etc.

If you were not interested in anything else, then go for the Bongo!

LDE is very high on my list. I would also like to hunt western roan and savanna buffalo. I sure wish BF hadn’t shut down. I was very close to pulling the trigger there.

I have taken both and found them worthy hunts. Think my nod would go to Bongo.

However, the Lord Derby is a very impressive trophy. Much larger than other Eland subspecies. I have taken one of each plus a couple extra.

Depending on the area, on a bongo hunt you can also hunt sitatunga, forest buffalo, forest hogs, forest elephant, and lots of the small antelope and duiker variants.

Of the two, I hope to hunt bongo first. Mostly because jungle conditions seem quite harsh and I'd rather do that while I'm younger and try for LDE after that.

Lord derby eland for me. My hunt is this January. I’m really excited for it. The secondary game like roan, bushbuck, waterbuck is much more appealing to me than duikers as secondary game on a bongo hunt as well.

Tough question, but a good one.

To begin, putting salt licks and machans aside (no judgement being passed here), both hunts usually involve extended periods of tracking. Tracking puts the hunt in hunting for these two species, which can be quite physical and mentally taxing.

Some bongo hunts take place in the bushy areas of streams that cut through savannahs like what's found in Eastern C.A.R. Lord Derby co-exist in the same area, but the thin slivers of riverine bush offer respite for the bongo. Other bongo hunts take place in the forest where the bush is so thick that you'll strain your eyes to see 5-10 yards. As noted previously, a forest safari like those typically conducted in Cameroon, is quite magical. Pygmy trackers will follow the tracks EXACTLY where they go meaning that they will follow them under and over everything. You will crawl. You will duck. You will try to avoid columns of voracious ants. The Pygmy trackers are accompanied by a small team of dogs which they will release when the gap between the hunting team and bongo shrinks appropriately.

All hell breaks loose. The shot will be close. This is one place for good iron sights or a scope in the lowest possible power setting. One advantage commonly attributed to this type of hunting is that bongo may hold up long enough to judge the animal. Immature animals can be spared. The forest safari can also offer forest sitatunga (very special in my book), dwarf forest buffalo (another magnificent animal), red river hog, giant forest hog, and some duikers. They're all desirable.

If it's true that you kill an elephant with your feet, the same can be said for Lord Derby when tracking them on the savannahs. Have the wind change or make a bad move and the herd will gap you quicker than anything. And they can cover a lot of ground when they are alarmed. Depending on the time of day, consider picking up the track the next day or trying to find tracks elsewhere. It's hunting in a very pure form. I was on a safari that involved following the tracks of a herd bull for 3 hours, and yet we were still only 200 meters from where we parked the Land Cruiser. It had been milling about with about 15 other eland and we finally saw where it had broken out from where they had been feeding. The chance to take a Western Roan, Giant Forest Hog Savannah Buffalo. and other game makes a savannah safari special in its own right.

Both species have attributes and qualities that suggest the final choice may come down to the type of hunting that you prefer. Currently, there are no import issues, but the war on hunting always makes the future uncertain. Good luck.

Well, I’ve got a LDE hunt booked on Mayo Nduel for Feb of ‘24; so that’s the more pressing one for me. But, I’m considering booking a Bongo hunt on Tala Tala for ‘25; so they’re pretty close in my book.

Never hunted either, was successful on common and Livingston eland, but for me it would come down to the hunt specifics. I have hunted miombo and savanna on all previous hunts. It would be totally exciting to hunt the rain forest. So a go at Bongo would top my list.

Could be like hunting our local blacktails in the daily rain where visibility is normally measured in feet. But with an amazing Bongo as the prize.

MB

Having hunted bongo 2 times, and derby eland 1 time, they are polar opposite hunts. The bongo hunt is far more mental than physical, it is hot and oppressive, yet you will see things here you will never see elsewhere. On one of my bongo hunts we walked down to a bit of an open area, saw 11 gorillas in the clearing. In fact I saw gorillas several times during this hunt.

One thing to keep in mind, the last time I took a bongo hunt, the air charter from Douala, split 4 ways, was 5000US EACH PERSON, and that was 20 years ago.

Having said all of this, I just booked a second trip in northern Cameroon for buffalo for this coming March, yes, it'll be 'balls hot'.

You cannot go wrong with either hunt, but if you're doing derby eland, be prepared to walk miles and miles in 100+ heat!!

i hunted LDE, Roan, and buffalo in 2020. It was a challenging hunt with different PG to hunt as well. I quizzed my French PH about the forest as a Bongo will be in my future. I am sure the experience of hunting a rain forest with dogs would be good. There is little chance of much else on the forest hunt. I know people who have gone multiple times to get Sitatunga and/or dwarf forest buffalo there. Like I did, I would say hunt the LDE first.
I booked with The Hunting Consortium as I wanted an agent to find me a hunt where I could get the big three. Most outfitters only allow two of the class A animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaraRincon

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]