Blasphemy!

Yes! My Heym 500NE. Blasphemy I tell you! It would be a otter disaster if this becomes a growing trend.

1695058380677.png

I don't know what to think of it.

A DR is primarily a traditional weapon that you buy because you enjoy it. A weapon like that has not muzzle break or Magna Port.

One don't need as a client nowadays a weapon like a big bore DR for hunting Big Game, perhaps only as PH need one for very special purposes like the backup for example. One should assume that anyone who buys such a weapon also wants to be able to use it. If you don't master it, you can buy a weapon of a smaller caliber; that is in all cases better that to deface with some recoil reducing system a traditional nice rifle or have an ugly hybrid built.

I was just watching a show on hunting Cape Buffalo. The client was using a PORTED double rifle. I hope this is not going to become a growing trend. Haa anyone else seen this before??
I'd rather not even know
...like wearing shorts under a tuxedo
World is changing and not in better...

I consider the can at the end of a fine sporting rifle to be just as blasphemous. :cool:

View attachment 558275
If you can't handle the recoil, why in hell did you buy it? Get something you can handle without some pussy device on the end of it. Same for those damn tin cans. Ugliest thing going.

The only person I ever knew that had a few rifles ported was a friend with a significant neck injury that couldn't endure recoil. He ported a few of his guns that had more than 20 lbs of felt recoil. With this he was still one of the best shots I ever met with a rifle & pistol in spite of his injuries & surgeries.

Just to set the record straight I have never ported a barrel! The Heym I bought was already ported. I don’t mind it all, shoots straight and gets the job done. Now for fat chicks…..
Just to set the record straight I have never ported a barrel! The Heym I bought was already ported. I don’t mind it all, shoots straight and gets the job done. Now for fat chicks…..
Not overly fat, just pleasingly plump is good.

If you can't handle the recoil, why in hell did you buy it? Get something you can handle without some pussy device on the end of it. Same for those damn tin cans. Ugliest thing going.

Good thing some of us only care about function and our hearing. I'll use a can on a CF rifle every chance I can. I would like to protect the hearing I have remaining.

As far as the porting of a rifle.that is up to the owner and the PH. It is none of my business.

I consider the can at the end of a fine sporting rifle to be just as blasphemous. o_O

View attachment 558275

It is unbelievable how many CZ550 .375’s in South Africa had their sights stripped off and a suppressor fitted. Boggles the mind. Then the owner wonders why they stay in the second hand market for years…

I’m all for a suppressed dedicated varminting rifle or a suppressed .22-.250 used for culling 400 springbuck in an evening, but to use your words, not on a fine sporting rifle.

I had the misfortune some four years ago to have a chap offer me a Kurtz Mauser .250 Savage that had been sodomized by some heathen to fit weaver mounts on the square receiver bridges and threaded for a can on the muzzle. Those things keep a good man awake at night and might even require therapy years later.

OK, I am going out on a limb and will cop flack for this post but whatever :E Shrug:

I hate, any and all porting, I hate cans and suppressors unless used in built up areas or required by law and I hate anything on my ears when I am hunting.

OK there it is I have said it.

If you feel that the few shots a day when rifle hunting will affect your hearing, your call not my problem. That said you then have the same hunters when waterfowl hunting shooting tens if not more than a hundred (12 gauge) shots in a session and doing the same for several days during a season: season after season without protection and without any major detriment or hearing loss.

Is my hearing 100%, no, but then again neither is my mothers who has never fired a rifle or been hunting in her entire life. We all get older, and things wear out.

There is such a thing as industrial deafness when constant exposure to loud noise does damage over time and in the instance of extreme noise may damage instantly, but this is not what is happening in the field. Under a structure at the range is a different story and hearing protection is a must.

I prefer to have my ears uncovered so I can hear the natural sounds of the bush and more importantly the DIRECTION and intensity of those sounds. Something that I believe is lacking with electronic hearing suppressors or devices. A market has been created and retailers will exploit this to the best of their ability.

That's OK just not for me in the field where I may fire one single shot for the entire day.

PS. I am going goose shooting this afternoon and will hopefully fire many shots without any hearing protection and my ears will be fine. Although I have been to music events and concerts where my ears were buzzing afterwards. More damage done there methinks.

OK, I am going out on a limb and will cop flack for this post but whatever :E Shrug:

I hate, any and all porting, I hate cans and suppressors unless used in built up areas or required by law and I hate anything on my ears when I am hunting.

OK there it is I have said it.

If you feel that the few shots a day when rifle hunting will affect your hearing, your call not my problem. That said you then have the same hunters when waterfowl hunting shooting tens if not more than a hundred (12 gauge) shots in a session and doing the same for several days during a season: season after season without protection and without any major detriment or hearing loss.

Is my hearing 100%, no, but then again neither is my mothers who has never fired a rifle or been hunting in her entire life. We all get older, and things wear out.

There is such a thing as industrial deafness when constant exposure to loud noise does damage over time and in the instance of extreme noise may damage instantly, but this is not what is happening in the field. Under a structure at the range is a different story and hearing protection is a must.

I prefer to have my ears uncovered so I can hear the natural sounds of the bush and more importantly the DIRECTION and intensity of those sounds. Something that I believe is lacking with electronic hearing suppressors or devices. A market has been created and retailers will exploit this to the best of their ability.

That's OK just not for me in the field where I may fire one single shot for the entire day.

PS. I am going goose shooting this afternoon and will hopefully fire many shots without any hearing protection and my ears will be fine. Although I have been to music events and concerts where my ears were buzzing afterwards. More damage done there methinks.
Excuse me, say again? I can't hear you. I did way to much shooting when I was young without hearing protection....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HolleyShep

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg