Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?

For our Canadian friends who may be looking for a R8 prophet River has the professional success model, 375 and 300 , two nice scopes and case for $8500. Canadian dollars .

For our Canadian friends who may be looking for a R8 prophet River has the professional success model, 375 and 300 , two nice scopes and case for $8500. Canadian dollars .
Just in case you missed seeing it, gift wrapping is available. HoHoHo!!!!

No doubt pricing would be a factor.
Do we need an $8000 dollar rifle to hunt? Maybe not but it’s nice if you can afford it, we all appreciate nice things.
I have seen Zastava rifles at $800 so a Blaser at ten times the price may not be necessary to get the job done.
If a PH is a gun enthusiast and can afford nice rifles they may be reserved for personal use not general DG backup.
Are they more reliable or more suitable? Surely they are reliable and suitable. Someone built a better mousetrap but the old ones still get results.
@CBH
Chris my PH doesn't like blasers as he has seen the delicate mechanism jam up to often in the dusty Kalahari region of Namibia. An other ph I spoke to who guided me on a few hunts shudders when he sees a client with a straight pull Blaser as he has had the same issues and he has guided the likes of Craig and Brittany Boddington.
Bob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 8.07.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 8.07.34 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 8.07.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 8.07.35 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 132
@CBH
Chris my PH doesn't like blasers as he has seen the delicate mechanism jam up to often in the dusty Kalahari region of Namibia. An other ph I spoke to who guided me on a few hunts shudders when he sees a client with a straight pull Blaser as he has had the same issues and he has guided the likes of Craig and Brittany Boddington.
Bob

I bet he would rather guide Brittany Boddington than you, Blaser or not.

BTW Craig Boddington, also on occasion used Blaser r8.

A couple of things stand out to me on this thread

1. A Blaser here in Zambia is a pricey item.
Not many startup PH's will be able to afford one and I doubt many would want a switch barrel rifle as their primary DG backup gun.

2. The long history of Winchesters and Brno/CZ here make it a more affordable (both new and used) as an option for a PH starting out as well as having spares, repairs and upgrades a little more readily available.

3. Once you have used a rifle for a number of years, it becomes pretty familiar. Changing this then is a big step.

4. Out here for similar money, most would rather upgrade to a double of some kind than another bolt as a backup gun.

5. The benefits and advantages of the R8, being switch barrel and take down capabilities are likely not as important to a PH as they are to a travelling hunter.

I would have to listen to the reports by owners of the rifles as to how they perform in the elements and through a hunt.

If you are talking about camp rifles and such, then that would be a different story and a switch barrel R8 may be a good choice to have as an option.

I would personally rather have 3 or 4 rifles than an R8 with 3 or 4 sets of barrels for use in the bush for the simple reason that I like to have a 22h, PG rifle and DG rifle with me when we are in the hunting concessions on a resident hunt, I can then hop out and shoot a goose with the 22h or go after a puku or even start out after a buff should the opportunity arise without worrying about different barrels.

All down to individual preference and opinion.

@CBH
Bob

Bob, I have hunted with 2 independent PH´s in Kalahari who told me the exact similar story...one of them chuckled and said he had to help the client clean the rifle to make it serviceable..

Last edited:
Similar thoughts came to my mind. I really now little about them so my opinion is worth a commensurate amount in overall context. I looked at and cycled them, in-hand, at a couple of gun shows after they first showed up and all that came to my mind was a bunch of huhs?, whys? and question marks.

Basic cost... at least two different proven bolt guns for price of one R8. Then an additional bolt gun $ for each barrel. And, how or who can or will fix one or has basic experience in trouble shooting or fixing one?

Not to mention comparing the intangible but universally accepted track record of reliable service of the design of the basic Mauser style bolt action that is over 100 years old versus a design that saw the first few hit the market/field about 12 years ago. Reliable and the "bee's knees" they may be, but that decision will be up to someone else for the investment.

About the Blaser take-down feature? I have been taking my regular bolt guns down for travel in small cases since the mid-70s.

As to the OP's thoughts on use by PHs?- who knows but I'd guess not many use them. Most PHs I know tend to not criticize a paying client's choice of equipment, especially a client who shows above average $bling :)

Last edited:
As I recall, the start of this was "why don't PH's use Blasers"?
IMO, they simply don't need to.
Full disclosure, I prefer older bolt rifles.
Now, although my info is 20 years old, when I had worked in gun factories both in Spain and Italy, it was very clear that firearm ownership is difficult if not impossible in most of Europe. This leads to things like making a compromise regarding what caliber to choose when your choice must serve all of your projected hunting needs.
Along comes a rifle that can be purchased, registered with the government once, and then used for many hunting applications. The cost of a premium rifle is a consideration, however most hunters in Europe tend to be rather well off. I don't believe that Europe has a "working man's" hunting culture to the extent that North America enjoys.
For the above reasons, I consider the quick change barrel rifles a distinctly European product.
Now, having said all that, if you can afford one, and you appreciate the pinnacle of German craftsmanship, why not own a Blaser?
It's true that you can get to where you're going in a Camry or a VW, but why not drive a Mercedes?
For the Europeans reading this, please shoot some holes in my thoughts if needed....

Now, although my info is 20 years old, when I had worked in gun factories both in Spain and Italy, it was very clear that firearm ownership is difficult if not impossible in most of Europe. This leads to things like making a compromise regarding what caliber to choose when your choice must serve all of your projected hunting needs.
Along comes a rifle that can be purchased, registered with the government once, and then used for many hunting applications. The cost of a premium rifle is a consideration, however most hunters in Europe tend to be rather well off. I don't believe that Europe has a "working man's" hunting culture to the extent that North America enjoys.
For the above reasons, I consider the quick change barrel rifles a distinctly European product.
Now, having said all that, if you can afford one, and you appreciate the pinnacle of German craftsmanship, why not own a Blaser?
It's true that you can get to where you're going in a Camry or a VW, but why not drive a Mercedes?
For the Europeans reading this, please shoot some holes in my thoughts if needed....
Interesting thoughts and I can follow your logic.

I'm in the UK and can only speak from my own experience but I don't know a single person in the UK or among my group of shooting friends who owns a Blaser.
I'm not saying Blaser owners aren't out there, I just don't know any.

I shoot Mauser rifles and I'm the weird one, everyone else seems to shoot a Sauer.
We have our take apart rifles with interchangeable barrels with those makers.

I have only ever seen Blaser rifles for sale in one shop and that was a reasonably up market vendor.

In terms of other straight pull rifles, I have never seen a Merkel on the shelf anywhere and although I have seen a few Strasser guns in one shop, I personally think they are butt ugly.

Most rifle shooters in the UK (in my experience) are working class and want a good rifle and get value for money. A Blaser does not represent that when there are so many other choices.

Interestingly, I know a Blaser/Sauer/Mauser rep in the UK and he shoots a Sauer 404 and I'm fairly sure he had a Beretta shotgun under his arm when I saw him last week.

I'm just offering a perspective from the UK. Blaser rifles are here but they aren't seen very often because there are other choices that make more sense and are more affordable. Other UK members may disagree from their experience.

I have no dog in this fight and I genuinely don't care who shoots what rifle, as long as the person is happy with their firearm/s and can afford them, enjoy them whatever they are.

@CBH
Bob
Quite a few PH's have seen mine and none have reported any bad experiences with others. And they have guided people like Gerald Mcraney, Chris Dorsey, Tony Makris (who now uses a R8 almost exclusively), that Boddington fellow, and many others. So what?

What I and several others can and have tried to offer is pretty extensive personal testimony about how the rifle performs in the field under a wide range of conditions. In my experience with the rifle and in the experience of others who I know who use the R8, it doesn't jam, it is extremely accurate, it has superb ergonomics, and the best factory trigger I have ever used. That is all based on extensive use of the rifle in a lot of different places and under a lot of different conditions.

It is a little like the 35 Whelen isn't it? I can hear it waved off around campfires all over the world. But when I really want to learn something about it and its capabilities, your posts are invaluable. You have actual experience.

I have no meaningful current experience living with European gun ownership restrictions, though in SA each barrel is treated as another rifle.

What I do again have is significant personal experience travelling internationally with firearms. Nothing I have ever owned but a double is easier to carry than a R8. And I think we all have enough knowledge with doubles to agree they aren't quite as versatile as the R8 on the arrival end. I don't enjoy dragging big wheeled cases with multiple rifles, and if one's destination has a charter plane waiting at the airport, the big case can become a problem for everyone.

I have other rifles and use them. I will be bringing my .275 to Zambia in August to hunt PG with @spike.t. But not because it is a "better" choice than the R8 with the 300 Win Mag barrel, but because he and I appreciate a Rigby. I took my last whitetail a few weeks ago with a Bradshaw single shot in 7x65R. It is a lovely elegant rifle that I truly love.

And everything is relative. For the cost of either of those rifles, one can own a R8 and several sets of barrels - four rifles of extraordinary quality for cost of one. That is almost the definition of a bargain isn't it?

The best, most dependable travel rifle, particularly for Africa where multiple calibers may make sense? Based on my experiences, it is the R8 - hands down.

Last edited:
You're quite right. In most semi-sensible countries the extra barrels are not counted as firearms. Then there's bright star in the north where I need to apply for same 90€/pc firearms lisence for every single barrel I want for my R8. At least they give you discount if you apply for multiple at once.

For me it was short length, decocking lever instead of safety and proven consistent accuracy that sold the Blaser. Other stuff is just a bonus. Lot of folks say you could buy 3 tikkas for what it costs to have a blaser with two barrels and that's true but then I'd still be driving a toyota. I'll still argue Blaser is closer to BMW while it's definitely Sauer that is Mercedes of rifles, they even have the grip warmer from MB steering wheel.

I'm a UK R8 owner - and am on record here for considering a 458 Lott for it

I own both a 9.3 and 404 J in Mauser 98s - both custom jobbies that I love, trust and know well

I would prefer another Mauser 98 in Lott, but it would be a right royal pain in the 'nether regions' to source a quality action and go through the entire build process again.

I'd like a Heyme but that is both logistically and financially challenging

I'd like a Heyme double - see above

However $3000. 00 gets me a good 458 Lott barrel for a quality rifle that I already own

Also..

Every single purchase and/or change of calibre has to be justified to the 'thought police' over here.

An example

I've recently bought a .22LR conversion kit for the R8

Can I have it? Can I b*llocks !

First I have to send my fire arms licence into the afore mentioned 'thought police' because the empty slot* on my certificate has not specifically mentioned the 'bolt head' - I must send in my certificate to have that particular object added - a process that will take a minimum of a month.

So, as far as the UK is concerned, a rifle with multiple barrels can be popular, not because of difficulty of licensing (it is just as problematic), it is popular because of the perceived quality of the systems available (e.g. Blaser, Sauer, Shultz & Larsen, Accuracy International).

* empty slot - A rifle or calibre already approved (and written into your license) that you have not yet bought and remains available to you

I heard around the campfire that a Blaser is so good that it would even kill buffalo with Hornady ammunition. one shot, every time.

:A Outta:

One question for UK members:

We know that UK is tough with gun laws.

Just out of curiosity, (and I beleive this is in line with this topic), is it easier for UK hunter:

1) to purchase and register 5 different rifles, in 5 different calibers, or

2) to purchase blaser R8 platform, and 5 different sets of barrels in 5 different calibers, and register?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fdhreyf43562

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well