Blaser R8 question

jimbo1972

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Thinking about taking the plunge and buying a Blaser R8. I know how terrific rifle they are but my question is scope repeatability with different barrels. If I have a scope mounted with a Blaser quick detach mount that is zeroed and switch to a different barrel will that barrel also be zeroed? Example if I have a 300 win mag zeroed at 200 yards and switch to 375 will the 375 be zeroed? This is a big deal as could save thousands on a multiple barrel set up.

Well to answer your post, no. a scope needs to be zero-ed for each caliber and load. I use a dedicated scope for each caliber of barrel I take on a hunt. The advantage to the Blaser system is once it's zero-ed and then taken off, it is true when you put it back on. You can still use only one scope, but you will need to confirm zero with each barrel. Example - if you are on a Buffalo/plains game hunt, you hunt your buffalo first with the .375, then go back to camp and put on the .300 and zero it in with the same scope and finish your safari.

Well to answer your post, no. a scope needs to be zero-ed for each caliber and load. I use a dedicated scope for each caliber of barrel I take on a hunt. The advantage to the Blaser system is once it's zero-ed and then taken off, it is true when you put it back on. You can still use only one scope, but you will need to confirm zero with each barrel.
+1 No. Realistically, each barrel requires a dedicated scope. It is possible to record the scope setting changes and apply them whenever the scope is moved to a different barrel - but damn.

+1 No. Realistically, each barrel requires a dedicated scope. It is possible to record the scope setting changes and apply them whenever the scope is moved to a different barrel - but damn.
Didn’t think so but was hoping to justify the cost of the R8. Thanks

Didn’t think so but was hoping to justify the cost of the R8. Thanks
Best production rifle on the planet - particularly for a traveling hunter. All the justification required. :cool:

Just get one in .375. You won't really "need" anything else. I know, it's the gateway caliber....

Thinking about taking the plunge and buying a Blaser R8. I know how terrific rifle they are but my question is scope repeatability with different barrels. If I have a scope mounted with a Blaser quick detach mount that is zeroed and switch to a different barrel will that barrel also be zeroed? Example if I have a 300 win mag zeroed at 200 yards and switch to 375 will the 375 be zeroed? This is a big deal as could save thousands on a multiple barrel set up.

Hi sir
No it wont he zeroed because diff calibres have different ballistics but
U canbuse 1 scope
U just not how many click left/right and up/down foe the diff calibre and u are golden
I use 1 scope for my 9.3x62 and 6.5x55 and use this method and it works well

leupold, Swarovski, Nightforce. All sell custom turrets. Or contact Kenton Industries for a custom turret

They will need all the data, altitude and average temps, Bullet BC, speed etc.

Then quickly remove the turret, return to zero then dial the yardage for the new caliber.

No more than $200

leupold, Swarovski, Nightforce. All sell custom turrets. Or contact Kenton Industries for a custom turret

They will need all the data, altitude and average temps, Bullet BC, speed etc.

Then quickly remove the turret, return to zero then dial the yardage for the new caliber.

No more than $200
Yes I use Leupold VX5 or VX6 with CDS on all my rifles. If the zero stays can adjust elevation to problem

When moved to the 2nd (or 3rd, 4th..) barrel, the scope CAN be surprisingly close to sighted, but should be adjusted to the load you are using.

The turrets ( elevation and windage) are built to each barrel and load.

so you simply remove the turret put it on the scope, either confirm with a laser bore sighter or shoot the rifle to confirm.

Also if you don’t want to buy turrets
Or scopes. You could verify all the loads for each barrel and adjust the scope when switching the one scope to different barrels.

You don’t need to re-zero when you change calibers. It’s actually really not that difficult. Zero your optic with the flattest shooting projectile you will use. Then without adjusting your zero start changing barrels and documenting the offset to your zero.( elevation and windage)

You can now adjust your DOPE for the different calibers. A ballistic solver is very helpful here as well as a scope with a zero stop. Don’t over complicate it by changing your zero. Just gather the DOPE and adjust from your baseline zero of whatever you use.

One thing you need to consider as well. The scope mounts have to be adjusted to fit each individual barrel. So you can’t simply move your scope from barrel to barrel, without having to adjust the scope mount itself. You could possibly get lucky and have two barrels that would work with the same mount tension, but that’s very unlikely.

One thing you need to consider as well. The scope mounts have to be adjusted to fit each individual barrel. So you can’t simply move your scope from barrel to barrel, without having to adjust the scope mount itself. You could possibly get lucky and have two barrels that would work with the same mount tension, but that’s very unlikely.

Mine work fine on all barrels but they are blaser mounts
I use 1 scope with mounts on for every 2 barrels
No ballistic turrets etc i am a
Bit old school just adjust scope for different calibre
All good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephanStu

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe