Blaser R8 in 458 Lott

Check out March scopes. I’ve had good luck with three of them on my larger calibers

I had a March scope on a service match rifle that was excellent. I've never used them on hunting rifles.

I have the 1-10 on my 416, 1.5-15 on my 375, and 2.5-25 on my 338.

Get a custom barrel in either 17 or 19mm. What I’ve done.

Scott, if you were going to require illuminated reticle on a DG scope, which models catch your eye? I welcome others' input as well of course.
I’m not an expert but will ask my SF employees about illuminated choices. One of them ran the SF sniper school. In the past, he told me they ruled out Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss. They were okay with Leupold but preferred NF and S&B. I would guess they would recommend the same brands for illuminated choices. I am going to try the same NF scope that you just ordered that was mentioned by @BeeMaa. I am hoping it will mount in Talley QD rings on my CZ550 Lott. It looks to be a bit tight on the measurements but we will know soon.

Good to hear Scott. Maybe it works out great for us. If not, we can return it and keep looking.

I’m not an expert but will ask my SF employees about illuminated choices. One of them ran the SF sniper school. In the past, he told me they ruled out Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss. They were okay with Leupold but preferred NF and S&B. I would guess they would recommend the same brands for illuminated choices. I am going to try the same NF scope that you just ordered that was mentioned by @BeeMaa. I am hoping it will mount in Talley QD rings on my CZ550 Lott. It looks to be a bit tight on the measurements but we will know soon.
Let's put things into perspective. The three scopes you mentioned really do not have reticles made for long range engagements.

Zeiss has started moving that way. They also own Hensoldt, with is some of the best glass I have personally looked through.

Leica is on the same track as Zeiss, they are producing a new line that is geared towards long range engagements.

Swarovski will not make a scope that will be for military use. They do own Kahles with has a line for target shooter. When I shot for Kahles I asked and asked for Swarovski to come out with a scope for the PRS. Was informed then Swarovski would not ever do it.

I stopped using S&B do to some quality issues I was experiencing on 4 of the 5X25 PMll scopes. Sold them all, I'm sure they figured out their short coming and they are soild now.

Illumination in LPVOs (1x6 - 1-10) are geared towards AR use (mainly). Need to figure out what you can live with the best, IMHO.

I would take a hard look at a Vortex Razor 1x6. Just another option.

Good luck on your quest, let us know what you end up with.

Let's put things into perspective. The three scopes you mentioned really do not have reticles made for long range engagements.

Zeiss has started moving that way. They also own Hensoldt, with is some of the best glass I have personally looked through.

Leica is on the same track as Zeiss, they are producing a new line that is geared towards long range engagements.

Swarovski will not make a scope that will be for military use. They do own Kahles with has a line for target shooter. When I shot for Kahles I asked and asked for Swarovski to come out with a scope for the PRS. Was informed then Swarovski would not ever do it.

I stopped using S&B do to some quality issues I was experiencing on 4 of the 5X25 PMll scopes. Sold them all, I'm sure they figured out their short coming and they are soild now.

Illumination in LPVOs (1x6 - 1-10) are geared towards AR use (mainly). Need to figure out what you can live with the best, IMHO.

I would take a hard look at a Vortex Razor 1x6. Just another option.

Good luck on your quest, let us know what you end up with.
I’m not sure what you mean. We are looking for durable scopes for DG heavy calibers for short and medium range. My SF guys have commented on Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss not being real durable when they tried them for different uses. I don’t believe they asked any manufacturer to make something specifically for the SF but I will ask.

I’m not sure what you mean. We are looking for durable scopes for DG heavy calibers for short and medium range. My SF guys have commented on Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss not being real durable when they tried them for different uses. I don’t believe they asked any manufacturer to make something specifically for the SF but I will ask.
I may have read to much into it. You said one of your guys was a SF Sniper Instructor. They snipers tend to lean towards NF and S&B.

I may have read to much into it. You said one of your guys was a SF Sniper Instructor. They snipers tend to lean towards NF and S&B.
Yes ran the school and definitely lean towards NF S&B.

I had an R8 Professional (synthetic) with a collection of 17mm barrels up to .375 H&H and wanted a .458 Lott. I purchased an R8 Safari stock (steel receiver) with a Kickstop and had J Sip make me a barrel, which arrived quickly. The barrel was very well made and very accurate. Mounted a Leupold 1-5X firedot scope with an elevation dial calibrated for the .458 Lott ballistics on Blaser quick detach mount and was very happy with the package. Never an issue with the scope or rifle and at 1X with the firedot, target acquisition was easy and very fast. At 5X, the rifle was very accurate out to 200++ yards. I initially sighted in at 200 yards and then dialed back to 50 yards and left the scope at that setting and 1X while hunting DG with the knowledge that I could instantly turn this GD rifle into a PG rifle if desired.

With 5.67” of mounting length, does it fit your rings and eye relief? These scopes are designed for AR applications usually.
Scott, I just got the demo NF scope in from EO. The low Blaser mount grounded out but the medium works. It looks like it's touching but is above the mount. Eye relief is there for me if I run it all the way back. Curious to hear what you find out. I think I like this reticle.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 5.51.22 PM.png

Those are great options and I have some on hand but...I keep running into shot scenarios where it's low light, dark shade, etc and there needs to be some option of magnification, even a little to ID which body part I'm looking at. My last 3 safaris gave me that kind of situation on DG, including last week's trip.
as a possible option,

i have a trijicon 1-6x accupoint on my o/u 450-400. it has not had that many shots thru it, maybe a 100. it has great glass, and never needs batteries.

i suspect if one is going to shoot a 458 lott, 460 weatherby or even a 458 win, a smaller, lighter weight scope like the leupold 1.5-5x is a pretty good option. the lighter the scope, the less inertia during recoil, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muskandelhi0002

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on FlyGuy's profile.
Re: Charoline Wepener MZ
Brad Clemens took deposits! Here in the US!
& is pathological liar, con artist. You have NO IDEA!! Maybe you should do some research. Felon ( do background check, speaks to his character throughout his life!) total con! Btw..i am in the US & know 1st hand his character. He was US representative as of last November. Look at time line!!!
expoB wrote on BushPig1963's profile.
IMG_1693.jpeg
Btw .. he has physically beat, abused verbally, mentally, financially abused women and in every way imaginable. Fact check, background check. He is HORRIBLE!!!
I am tired of him blowing up lives and walking off into the sunset leaving destruction in his wake. Over here in the US... Not in Africa...just so you know. I was not his victim but know some of them.
Senga Senga MZ . US rep Brad Joseph Clemens is involved! Con artist, owes people money. Pathological liar. Lies w/out remorse and convincingly.Doesn't reside in Oregon, he is FROM Oregon. Was living in Great falls MT til mid march... Disappeared recently.Believe a word he says & be played a fool! 1st hand knowledge. He is convicted felon. This is why he bow hunts. can't own a gun! background chk! MONSTER
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Btw.... Brad Clemens took deposit money from Dy
. Brad was living in Great Falls as of a few months ago. He keeps running and hiding. Sound familiar. None of you posting have any idea what is really going on. Brad is a pathological liar. Don't believe any quote or anything that comes out of his mouth. He is a horrible person...1st hand knowledge and his name is toxic to many in the hunting world.