Blaser R8 in 458 Lott

One thought on optics for a 458 Lott...I've been a dedicated Swaro guy using Z6i and Z8i mostly...I'm somewhat interested in trying a Leica or Kahles on a 458 barrel. I've been looking at the Kahles K 1-6x24i and the Leica Amplus 6 1-6x24i scopes. I don't have access to them in person. Any experiences with those scopes?
No but if you can find a used or like new Nikon, I would go that route. They are the toughest against recoil.

Hey Scott. I know the Nikons have excellent reputations regarding recoil endurance...but I've just settled into wanting illuminated reticles for low light options. It's made life easier in that regard.

Any thoughts of something like a Trijicon RMR-HD or an AimPoint T2 as a dedicated elephant option?

Both eyes open and still has illumination!

Those are great options and I have some on hand but...I keep running into shot scenarios where it's low light, dark shade, etc and there needs to be some option of magnification, even a little to ID which body part I'm looking at. My last 3 safaris gave me that kind of situation on DG, including last week's trip. I haven't posted that hunt report yet as I'm waiting on some video from the PH.

Hey Scott. I know the Nikons have excellent reputations regarding recoil endurance...but I've just settled into wanting illuminated reticles for low light options. It's made life easier in that regard.
My 2x-12 illuminated Leupold scopes have held up good so far on two 375s. I’ve had to send in a 1x-6 Leupold and an illuminated 2x-7 Leupold for repairs after a bunch of shots on my Lott but they hold up for quite a while. Swarovski will eventually fail as well.

Yes that's what I'm hoping to avoid. I think the Z6i and Z8i have been great for me on 375 and below. I've got one on a 416 Rigby and it's still running as of last week's hunt. I know you can go to extremes and stay with an etched reticle and all that but I sure would like to have an illuminated reticle. Maybe it's just my luck but I find a lot of shots in poor light on the last day, etc. I know we got by without them for years but I like them.

Yes that's what I'm hoping to avoid. I think the Z6i and Z8i have been great for me on 375 and below. I've got one on a 416 Rigby and it's still running as of last week's hunt. I know you can go to extremes and stay with an etched reticle and all that but I sure would like to have an illuminated reticle. Maybe it's just my luck but I find a lot of shots in poor light on the last day, etc. I know we got by without them for years but I like them.
Yes I understand and it’s a risk we are taking. I wish Nikon was still making scopes and would make an illuminated DG scope. I’m going to research a NF scope and see what’s available. They are very tough.

You mention a viable alternative in NF...I was actually looking at the F1 ATACR 1-8x24. I've owned a number of NF scopes and never had an issue with them. However, I've never put one on a big caliber before and yet, they are put on 338 Lapua, 50 BMG and big bore long range guns all the time without failures. The reticles aren't ideal as they are more for CQB but I'm considering it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 12.05.50 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 12.05.50 PM Large.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 4
That's precisely what I was looking at. Something like that with a simpler reticle and integrated rail would be close to perfect...if the turrets were 1/4 MOA I would buy two!

I’ve put four hundred or so rounds through a .458 Lott topped
With a Leupold VX6 1-6x24i without issue. Perhaps I’ve just been lucky but it certainly seems to hold up to the pounding.

I wish NF had an option for an integral rail on the scope. Some less complicated reticles would be a welcome sight as well.

The NX8 1-8x24 with first focal plane FC-MOA might be an option. Euro Optic has a demo model on sale for a very reasonable price.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforc...ed-Windage-PTL-FC-MOA-C600-Showroom-Demo.aspx
Actually I was looking at a different demo there...went back and just ordered the one you pointed out. I know it's a good scope so I will try it out in this configuration; first as a 416 Rem mag on the R8 and then on the 458 Lott after I find a barrel.

That's precisely what I was looking at. Something like that with a simpler reticle and integrated rail would be close to perfect...if the turrets were 1/4 MOA I would buy two!
Just to keep things in perspective, it's a 458LOTT...not a sniper rifle. 1/2 MOA clicks will give you 1/4" movement at 50 yards.

That's a good point. I like 1/4 clicks for 375 and below to get it dialed in but on larger bores that's not really a need as a long shot would be 100-150 yards.

The main question I have about that scope for this application is the parallax being fixed at 125m.

The main question I have about that scope for this application is the parallax being fixed at 125m.
With 5.67” of mounting length, does it fit your rings and eye relief? These scopes are designed for AR applications usually.

Good question and we will know by next week. I do a lot of biz with EO and will return it if needed.

Scott, if you were going to require illuminated reticle on a DG scope, which models catch your eye? I welcome others' input as well of course.

Scott, if you were going to require illuminated reticle on a DG scope, which models catch your eye? I welcome others' input as well of course.
I've been really happy with my Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 with a 4A-IF reticle. It has a switch on the scope for options of a center dot, circle & dot or just crosshairs. But I only go up to 375H&H.
1720209071759.png

That is my main scope of choice...along with a couple of Z6i's. I've had good outcomes with them on the last 4 trips to Africa and numerous other hunts. That is up to 416 Rigby levels but not 458 Lott. That is also my fav reticle. Mine have a switch for day settings or lower light settings so I don't have to fool with the brightness. Left is low light and right is daytime setting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susannah40

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on BushPig1963's profile.
Btw .. he has physically beat, abused verbally, mentally, financially abused women and in every way imaginable. Fact check, background check. He is HORRIBLE!!!
I am tired of him blowing up lives and walking off into the sunset leaving destruction in his wake. Over here in the US... Not in Africa...just so you know. I was not his victim but know some of them.
expoB wrote on BushPig1963's profile.
Senga Senga MZ . US rep Brad Joseph Clemens is involved! Con artist, owes people money. Pathological liar. Lies w/out remorse and convincingly.Doesn't reside in Oregon, he is FROM Oregon. Was living in Great falls MT til mid march... Disappeared recently.Believe a word he says & be played a fool! 1st hand knowledge. He is convicted felon. This is why he bow hunts. can't own a gun! background chk! MONSTER
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Btw.... Brad Clemens took deposit money from Dy
. Brad was living in Great Falls as of a few months ago. He keeps running and hiding. Sound familiar. None of you posting have any idea what is really going on. Brad is a pathological liar. Don't believe any quote or anything that comes out of his mouth. He is a horrible person...1st hand knowledge and his name is toxic to many in the hunting world.
We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!